Angry people

A potpourri of off-topics.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Angry people

Post by Urbane »

Perhaps it's always been this way, and in fact I think it probably has, but it strikes me that a lot of people are angry these days. They're angry about "the government" or they're angry with the political party that they dislike. They're angry at this store or that store for supposedly charging them too much or for providing lousy service. Big corporations and big unions stir a lot of anger as well as do judges for sentences that are thought to be too light.

There are certainly lots of people and organizations worthy of criticism and I engage in criticism myself. But why the anger? Why do some people absolutely hate a particular politician and why the anger directed their way? I heard a CEO being interviewed the other day and he said that he made a point of reading things written by smart people who had different political views from his own. Perhaps doing something like that would help dispel some of that anger. Why can't people discuss things rationally without the anger?

BTW, I hope that this thread doesn't make anyone angry. :-X
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Angry people

Post by mexi cali »

First off, I agree. Why though? My own take would be that those who are vocal about their anger/hatred toward whatever target they have chosen may be because they feel helpless.

Using the government as an example, and it could be any countries government; everyday we read or hear stories about governmental misappropriation, misbehavior or down right criminal behavior yet the outcome is seldom, if ever that anyone was held accountable. Even when the culprits are known there seems to be a veil of invincibility that surrounds people of authority or power rendering them immune to the effects of their poor behavior.

It is the "that's not fair" syndrome that even as adults, many can't seem to shake so conversation about these types of occurrences often are filled with spite and venom.

The justice system lets them down everyday. Those who commit heinous crimes and receive lenient sentences can ignite the seething hatred that lies beneath and it often erupts in a vicious diatribe condemning the system and all who play a part in it.

Lousy neighbors, loud motorcycles, loud music, disrespectful youth and the list goes on but all of these topics have a way of bringing out the aggression that lives in most of us and the letting off of steam in response is simply a way of feeling like we have something of value to add by way of speech which may serve to make us,even momentarily, feel less helpless.

Maybe??
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

mexicalidreamer wrote:It is the "that's not fair" syndrome that even as adults, many can't seem to shake so conversation about these types of occurrences often are filled with spite and venom.

I always love you insight Mexi! People seem to have the need to be *right* no matter what. Too much tunnel vision.
I took your quote because I find that statement is extremely noticed on forums. People seem to like to argue for the sake of arguing behind anonymity.
At the end of the day, the anger in people stems from a deeper issue. I feel bad for them to a point, and wish they took the power and energy to become more happy and enjoy life!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Some conspiracy theories point to chemtrails

The theories are that we are being turned into mindless fighters that then need martial law to control.

That's it in a "nutshell".

A means for the NWO to be "just" in bringing in Martial Law to control all of us angry birds.

Aside from that, I think it could be technology and the way we are disconnecting from our natural environment. That in itself creates a world of unknown and unrecognized stresses to our human animal that we do not possess in our arsenault of weapons/experiences to draw from.

We're cutting new trails in new frontiers without knowing what we'll step in on the first step over that hill.

In the big picture, I think we need to get back to balancing our new toys with being the animal we are. More sleep at the right times, coupled with more real activities based in real life on real soil...no shoes!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

When people fly-off in a rage riddled tirade it's usually an accumulation of many different behind-the-scene pressures - not just the issue at hand.

Add to that too much "hope deferred that makes the heart sick" and loss of hope for the future ...and look-out!

:runforlife:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Graham Adder wrote:Some conspiracy theories point to chemtrails

Conspiracy theories make me angry. :-X

I would probably blame lead more than anything. Angry people tend to be poor communicators and far more reactive, both are signs of lower a IQ which is directly linked to consumption lead.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ish-export
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

^^^^^^^^Here's another youtube that I seen today that supports your's and my anger. ^^^^^^^^

You really have to watch and listen carefully through the whole thing. To get the point. It is very subliminal, but it is there.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think people are angry because the world demands that they grow up and accept responsibility, and they don't want to. They don't know how or simply refuse. They rage at the world because there are consequences. It is always someone else's fault or responsibility, never theirs.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Lady tehMa wrote:I think people are angry because the world demands that they grow up and accept responsibility, and they don't want to. They don't know how or simply refuse. They rage at the world because there are consequences. It is always someone else's fault or responsibility, never theirs.

One of my wife's youngins' moved back in and this describe's him to a tee. I characterize him as Teflon-man because none of his mistakes ever stick to him because it's always someones else's fault. He failed in college because he didn't get the support he needed because his profs were stupid, he lost his job because the boss wouldn't listen because she was stupid, his room-mates kicked him out because they were mean and of course stupid. Last night we had it out because he called in sick to his new job after playing video games all night, says it's because he's depressed and of course that's because his mom is stupid. The whole world is stupid except for him and he's angry that they all seem to be conspiring against him when the only person that responsible for his circumstance is himself. Tried to explain to him that unless you're willing to own your mistakes you can't learn from them, now he's angry with me too. :138:
Last edited by Poindexter on Jun 28th, 2016, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Poindexter wrote:One of my wife's youngins' moved back in and this describe's him to a tee. I characterize him as Teflon-man because nothing he does sticks to himself because it's always someones else's fault. He failed in college because he didn't get the support he needed because his profs were stupid, he lost his job because the boss wouldn't listen because she was stupid, his room-mates kicked him out because they were mean and of course stupid. Last night we had it out because he called in sick to his new job after playing video games all night, says it's because he's depressed and of course that's because his mom is stupid. The whole world is stupid except for him and he's angry that they all seem to be conspiring against him when the only person that responsible for his circumstance is himself.

I am beginning to see a pattern here. HHhhhhmmmm
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Unfortunately he sees a different pattern: the world is conspiring against him. I actually feel sorry for the young man because he's got himself stuck circling the drain of futility. To me his misdirected anger is a well manicured defense mechanism. He likes to post on conspiracy forums and finds like minded people in similar circumstances that support this view. In the past he probably would have snapped out of this and grown up but now a days there is more than enough on-line material to keep him from facing reality.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Its pretty easy to sail through your days when you are made of teflon and won't accept responsibility for anything. I hate to say this but you letting him live back at home isn't helping him at all. How is someone supposed to take responsibility for their actions if they know that they can always fall back on being able to come home and self indulge in their own pity and tear down the people around them? I know its easy for me to say as I am not in your shoes Pointdexter, but I am just saying.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

perspicacious wrote:Its pretty easy to sail through your days when you are made of teflon and won't accept responsibility for anything. I hate to say this but you letting him live back at home isn't helping him at all. How is someone supposed to take responsibility for their actions if they know that they can always fall back on being able to come home and self indulge in their own pity and tear down the people around them? I know its easy for me to say as I am not in your shoes Pointdexter, but I am just saying.

Make him pay room and board! Cut the grass, wash your car, weed the gardens, and be out of the house between 7:00 AM and 4:45PM., don't give him a house key and if he is out after those hours, lock the doors and windows.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Couldn't agree more, he's my wife's son from previous marriage and wasn't my call. My own son is being very understanding about this and could be angry given I told him to go to the gospel mission when a similar thing happened to him years ago. Without a doubt one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and caused many sleepless nights. Would have been much easier just to let him stay. It's damn right scary to think your kid is homeless. Fortunately my son found a couch to crash and thanks me for it now because the place he stayed was with a bunch of angry drug addled men in thier 20's which was a foreshadow of what his life would be like if he continued to screw around.

Wife now regrets her decision and is giving him until the end of the month, hopefully she follows though. What might help in this regard is the other night he told her, "I didn't choose to be born, that was your decision and I'm your responsibility." That may have fit when he was a child but not at 27, was a turning point for her because she had no idea the level entitlement her son had before that comment.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Poindexter wrote:Couldn't agree more, he's my wife's son from previous marriage and wasn't my call.

Been there and it can sure screw up a relationship too. Had 1 in the basement (hers) and 1 living in a trailer in the driveway. (mine) Not a fun situation.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Grab Bag”