Grab Bag

A potpourri of off-topics.
Graham Adder
Guru

Grab Bag

Post by Graham Adder »

What's in yours?

In case of an interface fire approaching your home, what have you got prepped to go?
In case of zombies/Pokemon Go Beardos invading, what have you got prepped to go?
If aliens invade, and they aren't friendly, what have you got prepped to go?
If the lights go out, and your neighbors start to eye you up for dinner, what have you got prepped to go?

I'm one of those people that is so over packed and ready, that some might call it hoarding.
How many types of stoves do I need? Really.
How many tents? Outbuildings? WHAT?!!!
Chairs. Why have I got enough seating to run a school? Am I subconsciously planning to start a cult?
hmmmmmm
:135:

One thing I don't have enough of:
knowledge.
I want to know more.
Anyone got ideas to share?
Off grid living by necessity?
Tips on making it work no matter where and with what you have to work?

Websites?
YouTube links?

My grab bag is a grab trailer.
In the trailer: many grab bags carrying a variety of necessities.

My basic ready to go anywhere bag has one stove. It's home made and burns whatever you want it to. Anything from dryer lint soaked with candle wax, to alcohol, to gasoline, kerosene, naphtha, wood, twigs, leaves or coal. I also have an assortment of plastic goods. Unbreakable, stackable and light. I use frisbees for plates. Their rolled edges hold the beans, and they never fold up unexpectedly. They also work for water sloshing, drunken panning, face splashing and a game of toss the frisbee. I pack micro fibre towels. One 16x16 inch towel is an easy bath towel on the go. I always have rope. I learned from The Boondock Saints, that you never leave without rope. I carry a small tarp, in case I need to burrito myself in foul weather, or as ground cloth, or as lean to, or as teepee, or as poncho. I also carry the usual backpacking stuff like water filter, duct tape/mole skin. I wrap duct tape around my waterproof match container. Saves space and weight. I dehydrate food, then vacuum seal it. I also have packed away some dry goods like mashed taters, drink crystals, flour, salt, sugar, dehydrated milk, coffee whitener and hot chocolate. Noodles, rice and oatmeal also get vac-bagged. Leatherman multi-tool. Assorted knives, trail blazer break-down bucksaw and Gerber Axe. I don't use a compass. I have lightweight dark clothing that wicks and breathes. That's in there. Also have a black toque. Black and dark earthy colors.
I carry much more, but am interested to read what others have on hand at the ready...for whatever goes sideways.
I carry no paperwork, passport or anything else paper related other than T.P. in my run like hell bag. If that's the bag I am grabbing, anything telling anyone who I am can stay at home. I'm runnin'.

Love watching this guys vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE?list=PLGnWLXjIDnpBR4xqf3FO-xFFwE-ucq4Fj
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Grab Bag

Post by Graham Adder »

I've got these in one of my bins:

Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

A few years ago, you could send to the BC ministry of whatever, and get the topo maps of any aregion in BC.
I sent and asked them if I could have them all.
About three weeks later I got a big box in my mail.
I now have every topo map of BC (a bit dated now) that shows all logging roads, elevations, forestry sites, etc..
I keep them all in order and organized them with color codes so as to make reference easier.
I have them in an old plastic tool box with a foam seal so even if they get a dunk, they'll be good to go.

Although I never use a compass, I have one and know how to use it.
That stays with the maps, along with magnifying glass, mirror and monocular.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i always google native plants to see if i can eat them. it's pretty amazing what you can munch on. and it's a good thing too because i started eating stuff like this when i was a kid, i have no idea how i knew it wouldn't kill me. lol

i LOVE the seeds. i think i was around 5 when i started eating them. lol

http://www.edibleweedsandthings.com/tag/buttonweed/

and i have no idea how old i was when i started eating this stuff, but i prefer it once it's turned red and before a dog hikes it's leg. just a handy tip. [icon_lol2.gif]

http://www.wildedible.com/wild-food-guide/wood-sorrel

cattail roots are good too. they taste kind of like cucumber. i'll add more weeds i eat as i think of them. (i sound like a goat)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I used to have a video handy that was related to tiny homes, or off grid living. I can't find it now, but I recall this:
The fellow in the vid was doing a talk on eating wild. It was I think in Merrit or Logan Lake. He arrived at a community center or something like that, and on his way in he grabbed a bit of this weed, a little of that weed, some of those seeds, berries and a few leaves from that over there...voila. He went inside and prepared a delicious salad made from the parking lot.

Eye opening. We live in such bounty.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

it really is amazing. i just thought i would learn in case i ever wander off and get lost. so i know what i can eat. LOL there are so many "weeds" around here that annoy, but can be food. like purslane. http://www.ediblewildfood.com/purslane.aspx
that stuff drives me nuts. and i see it everywhere. but it's tasty. lol
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

niccccccce
I see that stuff everywhere. never knew to eat it.
Just read up on it.
Lots of benefits.
Thanks Ferri. :up:

Return to “Grab Bag”