What beetle is this?

A potpourri of off-topics.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Re: What beetle is this?

Post by RustyCrayon »

I had those little beetles wandering around my house last spring and early summer. They don't seem to do anything. Hope they don't come back this year.

I'll take those weevils over the odorous house ants.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.crd.bc.ca/education/natural ... ot-weevils
Apparently they like rhododendrons and azaleas so if you have these in your gardens you'll want to take steps to eradicate them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

If it eats, it poops. Get rid of it.

Anything that is in your house, and eats your food, messes up your stuff, and then leaves should be something that you either, given birth to, married, or adopted.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

voice of reason wrote:that is definitely a peruvian spotted cockroach

Thats what my wife said, she initially freaked out a bit thinking we are infected by cockroaches. I had to remind her of the time we took a romantic walk just after dusk along the canal that runs through Waikiki. Walking along the path listening to the palms swaying in the breeze, the crunch of leaves on the side walk under foot. Wait a minute.... Its not fall....and leaves like that dont exist in Hawaii...And why are those leaves moving, but NOT with the breeze? Yeah, I've never seen her move that fast...

Moral of that that story, cockroaches are much bigger than these weevils as they are only about 2cm long.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Fancy wrote:https://www.crd.bc.ca/education/natural-gardening/pure/pests-pesticide-facts/root-weevils
Apparently they like rhododendrons and azaleas so if you have these in your gardens you'll want to take steps to eradicate them.

I don't have any rhododendrons or azaleas. But there are lots of cedars, a magnolia tree and a big blackberry bush nearby.
Hrmmm.... :132:
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

The offending ex-Christmas tree is now outside, and a few days of guard duty with the portable vac seems to have vanquished the beetles, hopefully for good. I'm keeping an eye on the remaining indoor plants just in case.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've got books on insects mostly because my kids were forever asking what is this what is this? They had no fear of picking something up and shoving it in my face for identification. The best one was the praying mantis - so delicate and hadn't seen one since I was a kid. Had a cucumber beetle come home from the grocery store once. Kids do a project on them in high school I think. At least it wasn't an ant infestation as mentioned earlier (think that comment was removed) and that it wasn't a cockroach. Those can be hard to get rid of.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Fancy wrote:The best one was the praying mantis - so delicate and hadn't seen one since I was a kid.

I had no idea praying mantises (manti?) where native around here. As I kid, I wasn't really into bugs, but the preying mantis fascinated me. I got to a preserved one at a museum, but that was the closest I ever got. Fast forward to several years ago when I was standing in line to get into the Pearl Harbor Memorial in Hawaii, and there, sitting on a leaf right next to me was a preying mantis. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see something - it was right there on par with getting to see a Space Shuttle launch.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's awesome. Haven't heard anyone talking about them for a few years.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Found this one in a flower pot outside my door last summer...rather photogenic!

Mantis.jpg

Return to “Grab Bag”