Yes Headlines Again

A potpourri of off-topics.

Yes Headlines Again

Postby my5cents » Oct 13th, 2017, 6:17 am

Before I started this thread I checked for a thread that involved Casranet headlines. There were a lot, but none actually fit the bill.

This started with a headline that caught my interest because it was misleading, I guess that's fair game. I don't personally think news media should fool readers with a cheap trick headline ....but.

The headline was "TV star snapped at YLW". - A TV personality, not really what I would call a "star" was photo'd (snapped) while at the Kelowna Airport.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209036

The next one got me thinking. The headline is clearly incorrect and misleading. I'm pretty sure most people already know the facts, so it doesn't really impact anyone but it leaves one to ask two questions.

If a news agency is so poor that it transmits an obvious error, how can we trust it ?

Next, this story is a news wire story, what resposibility does Castanet have in passing on an incorrect fact ?

The headline was "Family Freed by Terrorists". This involves the hostages freed by the Pakastan Army, killing the terrorosts. Not quite "terrorisrs freeing" anybody.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#208954

I think it would be safe to assume that the staff at Castanet knew or should have known the truth, even Castanet can't be that ill-informed about world events.

If Castanet's position is "we just passed on a news item from a news wire service", does that absolve them, it I pass on incorrect unsubstantiated information that I was told that's inappropriate but a news agency ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 915 posts

Re: Yes Headlines Again

Postby Bsuds » Oct 13th, 2017, 7:20 am

I don't view Castanet as a reliable News source. It's a clickbait site and they do that rather well.

It's all about the advertising revenue. They don't much care about anything else.
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 9411 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 13th, 2017, 7:43 am

You made me go look and he's no star! I have never watched him on TV and never will.

He is just someone who belongs in the "Yer an Idiot" thread.

my5cents likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby bob vernon » Oct 18th, 2017, 10:17 pm

I thought the headline "TV Star snapped at YLW airport" meant that a TV star had lost his luggage or something and had blown up (snapped) at the airline staff.

Bsuds likes this post.
bob vernon
√úbergod

Liked in: 957 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 18th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Here we go again.

This time the Canadian Press' fault.

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/211 ... -star-dead

Rest in Peace, but she was only in nine episodes. Come on, hardly a Three's Company star!

Petty I know but still.
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10704 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 13th, 2017, 9:17 am

So the recent headlines says "Flu" bug hits hospital but when you click on it it is a stomach bug!

False news. lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Fancy » Dec 13th, 2017, 9:25 am

Now we know why people confuse colds, flus and gastrointestinal Illness. Now it says "Stomach bug hits hospital"
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 5194 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

Fancy wrote:Now we know why people confuse colds, flus and gastrointestinal Illness. Now it says "Stomach bug hits hospital"

They must have read my post. lol

Fancy likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby GenesisGT » Dec 13th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Not really a headline issue, but a picture issue. Plane Crash, 25 On Board, one look at the picture and one knows that is not the airport in Fond du Lac Saskatchewan. But it is a nice picture of the Fond du Lac County Wisconsin airport. :spitcoffee:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/213982/Plane-crash-25-onboard
Good judgement comes from experience. Where does experience come from? Poor judgement.
GenesisGT
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1612 posts

Return to Grab Bag