Christmas and seniors

A potpourri of off-topics.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Christmas and seniors

Post by cubafreak »

Just raising awareness here, now that my Mom is in a care facility I have noticed that there are a lot of seniors who do not appear to have family. The staff has been asking if anybody could donate things so that everybody has a gift to open on Christmas. So, at this time of year I ask of friends to think of the many seniors in the various facilities that are in the same situation. Maybe if there are business owners that want to encourage their employees to do something for the community at Christmas time they could choose a care facility to "sponsor"? Just a thought.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Christmas and seniors

Post by Queen K »

Can I say this hear?

I work with seniors and it's tough at Christmas. Real tough. I recall a lady in tears because she got six boxes of chocolate from six different relatives, all of whom gave ZERO thought to her while grabbing what was handy at Costco.

Sure seniors enjoy chocolates and on their pensions, quite often can't afford them. But, a lot of seniors are also immobile, they don't work off the calories like younger people, They often have blood problems, like undiagnosed diabetes or close due to being immobile. Nothing says, "no thought" like relatives who couldn't get together and plan something thoughtful.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A lot of seniors use products you may not think of as Christmas gifts but here goes:

How about a real luxury box of teas? Assorted or not, tea is often something appreciated.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

I picked up a good quality hand cream,a small box of shortbread,a cute calendar and a little light up Christmas trinket/ornament for a lady and for a man I picked up a bottle of old spice, small box of chocolates,calendar and trinket/ornament. It does take some thought because a lot of seniors have dietary issues, and such. But, if a person really took time to think they can come up with things. Lap blankets are always nice, large print books,gloves,scarves.....just a few examples
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To add to lap blankets, those boards with the cushioned bottom for placing things on one's lap. I know many who use them.

How about easier to use remotes too. Without all the extra buttons they'll never use.

And if families really can get together on this one, all chip in for a better item their mom/dad use all the time.

I've seen:

New mattresses - better for sleeping and easier on the body.
New floor to ceiling poles, professionally installed.
New electric lift chairs, often with easier to use buttons.

Sheepskin slippers, cost a bomb, but reduces sores on feet.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Stamps as as stocking stuffer?

A lot of seniors don't email. Obviously a lot of seniors here DO use computers, I'm talking about the ones who don't and won't ever. Don't flame me people. :up:

Return to “Grab Bag”