Milk dispensers

A potpourri of off-topics.

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 31st, 2017, 2:20 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-milk-growlers-1.4467724

Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


You can recycle milk cartons? Hmmm....

Only those who have spent their lives living in a cave are not aware that those 4-litre plastic jugs can be recycled.
As to your next belligerent question, if the milk delivery trucks can't make it to the Okanagan supermarkets, why would anyone drive hundreds of kilometres on slippery, snow-covered highways to find a jug of milk?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3596
Likes: 1717 posts
Liked in: 750 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby GordonH » Dec 31st, 2017, 2:27 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4467724

Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


There are alternatives:
From Soy to coconut to almond or even cashew & rice
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20853
Likes: 2335 posts
Liked in: 7398 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby oneh2obabe » Dec 31st, 2017, 2:32 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

As the Boy Scouts say - be prepared.

I have 2 jugs of milk in the fridge at all times and since moving here and finding that severe winter weather conditions can affect the delivery of groceries including milk - certainly don't expect truckers to risk life and limb on the roads - have 2-3 jugs in the freezer.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 56073
Likes: 741 posts
Liked in: 5987 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:19 am

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 31st, 2017, 2:34 pm

I knew the snow was coming, Environment Canada warned us well in advance. I made sure that I had an extra jug on hand, it's called, "being prepared".
Combine the snow alerts with the upcoming holiday closures, it's a no brainer to have a few extra days worth of needed supplies on hand. You know, just in case?
Anyone that can't prepare themselves for a 2-3 day delay in grocery deliveries to their local markets, should not be living in Canada.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6193
Likes: 2263 posts
Liked in: 3404 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Noisy Boater » Dec 31st, 2017, 2:44 pm

Cant beat a big bowl of honey nut cherrios drowning in soy or cashew liquid. Yum . NOT !!!!!!!!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ?

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
Noisy Boater
Board Meister
 
Posts: 498
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 300 posts
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 11:26 am

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 31st, 2017, 3:07 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

As the Boy Scouts say - be prepared.

I have 2 jugs of milk in the fridge at all times and since moving here and finding that severe winter weather conditions can affect the delivery of groceries including milk - certainly don't expect truckers to risk life and limb on the roads - have 2-3 jugs in the freezer.


I used to keep cartons of milk in the freezer of my fishing vessel back in the day, because I would be far from grocery stores for about three weeks at a time. But that was long ago, and since I've been living within a few blocks of a market, I haven't felt the need to freeze milk.

I will from now on, though.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3596
Likes: 1717 posts
Liked in: 750 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 31st, 2017, 3:33 pm

How much mild does one need that they can't go without for 2 days?

Anyone that NEEDS that much milk, should have been prepared for a 2 day delay.

If this is a really big problem, why not just have powdered milk in the cupboard in the event of a 2 day emergency back-up?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6193
Likes: 2263 posts
Liked in: 3404 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2017, 3:49 pm

GordonH wrote:Nearest dairy to Kelowna would be in Sicamous its called D Dutchmen Dairy
http://www.dutchmendairy.ca
A must do is go and have some ice cream at D Dutchmen

Next one was Blackwell Dairy out of Kamloops area

Of course one of the largest in BC in down in lower mainland Dairyland



They have the BEST ice cream! We stop in there every chance we get. Once she was closing but allowed us to come in and get milkshakes, yummmmmmmmmmm, that employee deserved a raise.
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53359
Likes: 12337 posts
Liked in: 12975 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2017, 3:52 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-milk-growlers-1.4467724


So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


You can recycle milk cartons? Hmmm....


OH GOD, no! Just no. We use our four liter milk jugs for our trips for washing up water and if we need to clean anything like mud off shoes, but not for even drinking. Ick. Ick. :up:
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53359
Likes: 12337 posts
Liked in: 12975 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 31st, 2017, 4:47 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-milk-growlers-1.4467724

Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


You can recycle milk cartons? Hmmm....


Seems that you and a couple of others don't understand the recycling process. Sure, you can recycle things personally; bring your washed containers to the bulk food store, use your empty milk jugs for whatever, but unless you drink one heck of a lot of milk, you're still going to have to crush some jugs and put them in the recycling bin. The recyclers don't un-crush them and send them back to the dairy to refill, you know......Sheesh!
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3596
Likes: 1717 posts
Liked in: 750 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2017, 5:04 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-milk-growlers-1.4467724

Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


I'm sure GB is going to be with me on this one, you don't appear to be thinking about how you worded this and what you're implying. Machines like this? Like what? And then you say, "we wouldn't have to crush our containers." GB and I both drew the conclusion that you are talking about washing and refilling dairy containers. Plastic milk jugs, washed and refilled with milk?

Just gross. Just disgusting. RE use for sure, for other things. I've seen them reused as anything but milk containers.

GB, am I right?

Oh, and Cactusflower, no one needs lectures from you about recycling anything. I'm sure the GB household as does the QK household recycles everything in the blue bins as per directions. But not directions from you. 'K? :up:
Is it okay to have friends on all sides of the political spectrum? Or do I have to choose?

The Canadian Injustice System. Letting victims know that they don't matter with every ruling.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53359
Likes: 12337 posts
Liked in: 12975 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 31st, 2017, 5:19 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Seems that you and a couple of others don't understand the recycling process. Sure, you can recycle things personally; bring your washed containers to the bulk food store, use your empty milk jugs for whatever, but unless you drink one heck of a lot of milk, you're still going to have to crush some jugs and put them in the recycling bin. The recyclers don't un-crush them and send them back to the dairy to refill, you know......Sheesh!


No, the recyclers don't "un-crush" them, that would just be silly to even fathom. They send them to the plastic producers and they grind them and melt them down and make them into new plastic containers. SHheeees, They are no longer used for food grade containers and are turned into plastic buckets, fertilizer containers, oil jugs, park benches,
plastic milk bottles are typically turned into recycling containers, pens, lumber, picnic tables, fencing, benches, detergent bottles, toothbrushes and children’s toys


Plastic milk jugs can be melted down and made into new bottles. However, no milk jugs in the United States are manufactured from recycled material. This sad fact is due to safety concerns over chemical and bacterial contamination as well as strict FDA guidelines for food packaging manufactured from secondhand sources.


https://earth911.com/inspire/diy/creati ... milk-jugs/

Are you really sure that you want to continue with your line of dialog?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 6193
Likes: 2263 posts
Liked in: 3404 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby GordonH » Dec 31st, 2017, 5:43 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-milk-growlers-1.4467724

Yesterday I went to buy milk at my local supermarket and found the diary shelves empty. The delivery trucks weren't able to make it because of the road conditions, I was told.

So when I read this story today, I started thinking: Where is the nearest dairy in the Okanagan Valley? Wouldn't it be nice if a local dairy could install machines like this in our supermarkets so that we wouldn't have to crush our containers and put them in the recycling bins anymore?


Okay, I suspect the dairy planning to provide this may or may not have completely thought this threw.
At the farm level after each milking, all the equipment goes threw powerful cleaning. Same happens after bulk tank (keeps the milk cold) is emptied (back when I was on the farm pickup happened every 2 days).
Chemical used are powerful.... industrial strength bleach / then a neutralizer to remove the bleach.

impo there is absolutely no way I'd use this service, there is no way to know if it clean. Processed (Pasteurization) milk does not go sour like farm fresh, it goes straight to rotten.

Added later: this could be a future News story.... customers becoming ill
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 31st, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20853
Likes: 2335 posts
Liked in: 7398 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 31st, 2017, 5:49 pm

Queen K wrote:
GB, am I right?


Almost always QK. In this case, you are right on as usual!

Happy New Year!
"Socialists sure are a lot dumber today than they were when I was alive" - John Stuart Mill

JT - he's been ready since 2015, to be the puppet of Gerald Butts and the Laurentide Elite.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28515
Likes: 12351 posts
Liked in: 16402 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Milk dispensers

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 31st, 2017, 5:50 pm

Cactusflower wrote: if the milk delivery trucks can't make it to the Okanagan supermarkets,


why would you assume that just because your one local grocery store doesn't have milk, that all Okanagan grocery stores wouldn't? That's just stupid.
"Socialists sure are a lot dumber today than they were when I was alive" - John Stuart Mill

JT - he's been ready since 2015, to be the puppet of Gerald Butts and the Laurentide Elite.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28515
Likes: 12351 posts
Liked in: 16402 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to Grab Bag

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest