No Proofreaders

A potpourri of off-topics.
damama55
Übergod

No Proofreaders

Post by damama55 »

I am sooooo tired of reading stories that I need to read twice to understand because of words in the text that are confusing. For example, the story about Cornerstone on Global News--
"After pushing asked a shopping cart filled with personal belongs aside on the sidewalk,"
Why would no one see this before printing the story????? Oh, right---Spell Check doesn't work for something like that. LOL Maybe I am just being picky???
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: No Proofreaders

Post by JayByrd »

Not that it's an excuse, but I think a lot of web news stories are being typed out on smartphones. Those little on-screen keyboards make it difficult to type quickly and accurately. The error you posted makes me suspect it might have even been written with a speech-to-text program, which simply misheard "past" as "asked". Who knows.

But you're right, print journalism is in the worst state it's ever been. Part of it is the education and different disciplines you need to know to work in media these days, I suspect. The days of being able to say you're a writer and that's all you do, are gone.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The same can be said about many posts on this forum, or most other social media.
Some things are difficult to read.
It seems that spelling, punctuation and grammar are secondary to expressing written thoughts.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Bman wrote:The same can be said about many posts on this forum, or most other social media.
It seems that spelling, punctuation and grammar are secondary to expressing written thoughts.

None of us are perfect grammarians, however, we all could try a little harder (except you BMan, the pinacle of perfection!!). Some posts are so cryptic and twisted that no one could possibly understand them. The issue of "they're, their, there" has been beaten to death as "are, our" as examples.

Perhaps after writing posts read it as if it was new to you. There is an edit button on the upper right side that allows you to make corrections before final submission. You can also "edit" a post days later if you note an error or have found a more expressive word as replacement.

Remember Weird Al Yankoveich singing his grammer/spelling song?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Catsumi wrote:
Bman wrote:The same can be said about many posts on this forum, or most other social media.

None of us are perfect grammarians, however, we all could try a little harder (except you BMan, the pinacle of perfection!!). Some posts are so cryptic and twisted that no one could possibly understand them. The issue of "they're, their, there" has been beaten to death as "are, our" as examples.

Perhaps after writing posts read it as if it was new to you. There is an edit button on the upper right side that allows you to make corrections before final submission. You can also "edit" a post days later if you note an error or have found a more expressive word as replacement.

*pinnacle - sorry, couldn’t resist :)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Catsumi wrote:

Lol. Me the pinnacle of perfection.
Me can read good.
Some can't right to good tho.
It bothers me alot!!!
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

damama55 wrote:I am sooooo tired of reading stories that I need to read twice to understand because of words in the text that are confusing. For example, the story about Cornerstone on Global News--
"After pushing asked a shopping cart filled with personal belongs aside on the sidewalk,"
Why would no one see this before printing the story????? Oh, right---Spell Check doesn't work for something like that. LOL Maybe I am just being picky???

fact- my spelling su :cuss: ks , but after reading stories on castanet daily typed up by so called pro's lol [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] even i notice spelling mistakes pretty much daily -and that's a sad statement for castanet ,really sad

when i feel crappy about my spelling i just have to read a few castanet stories, then i feel much better about my spelling
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote: There is an edit button on the upper right side that allows you to make corrections before final submission. You can also "edit" a post days later if you note an error or have found a more expressive word as replacement.

You don't need the edit button if you haven't hit submit yet. It is used after you have posted and wish to correct/delete etc.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

download.jpg
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

LOL Needless to say, I have posted some things and I, too, have had to go back and correct them. However, I am not one being paid for my submissions, as Global news writers are. And, with spell check, there is no reason for misspelled words.
I have a good one for you all. I was dropping a resume off one time, and a young man was, too. His resume was handwritten. When the recruiter mentioned he had spelled something wrong. I looked at him and said,
"You were waiting for spell check to make sure you didn't misspell anything, right?"
He laughed and acknowledged that.
Sometimes, we do need to think for ourselves.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here's a challenge:
gnidaerfoorp fo deen eht htiw eerga yllatoT
lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

THAT was no challenge. LOL You should try to do it upside down and backwards. Good one!! LOL :) :130:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

the truth wrote:
damama55 wrote:I am sooooo tired of reading stories that I need to read twice to understand because of words in the text that are confusing. For example, the story about Cornerstone on Global News--

fact- my spelling su :cuss: ks , but after reading stories on castanet daily typed up by so called pro's lol [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] even i notice spelling mistakes pretty much daily -and that's a sad statement for castanet ,really sad

when i feel crappy about my spelling i just have to read a few castanet stories, then i feel much better about my spelling

Truthy, you have told us before that English is second language for you so no need to apologize. I have noticed an improvement and more confidence in your postings. Good for you.

Pinnacle...I just type so fast that the n's get left behind !!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

the truth wrote:

Catsumi wrote:Truthy, you have told us before that English is second language for you so no need to apologize. I have noticed an improvement and more confidence in your postings. Good for you.

Pinnacle...I just type so fast that the n's get left behind !!

Lol - like I said, simply couldn’t resist - and if that’s the biggest faux pas you make today you’re doing just fine.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Mmmm....we've been seeing "faux pas" around forums quite a bit lately. Glad to see us all dipping deeply into honeypot of neglected words and phrases.

Varlet and scoundrel haven't seen the light of day for awhile

Unknown

Return to “Grab Bag”