Trees

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Trees

Post by Queen K »

pbear wrote:
Queen K wrote:I've got the guy for you for the Maple! Just PM me if you want his phone number :D

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. I just keep looking at it wanting to get one more year of shade. I hope everything went smoothly for you today.

The trees are going, going....
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Yes, the Chinese Elm has a huge root habit, some of the Chinese Elm roots are as large as tree trunks, god knows I dug them out by hand five years ago. Not to mention how long they get across the yard when unimpeded.

I see all kinds of trees felled and cut up for firewood all over Kelowna.

Is anyone actually PLANTING trees?

Anywhere?

I would say "yes" because the Neighbourwoods program is so popular. :up: https://www.kelowna.ca/parks-recreation/urban-trees-wildlife/neighbourwoods There are still a few trees left, if anyone is interested.
I have planted an oak I got from those guys.

I'm considering getting a peach tree (probably from Bylands, or Dogwood) maybe next year. I have irrigation to put in, I had our plum pruned (and the neighbour's pine trimmed away from our power line), and I have other stuff to pick up for the garden - oh, and a fence to finish. It's getting to be an expensive year and we aren't even in May yet! :admin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:cry: Two trees to go. Two almost completed. They were monster trees. I have to remind myself that I gave them 15 more years than others would and the next person to buy this property will likely tear the whole house and out buildings down.

The trees were an emotional sticking point, leaf licking jokes aside. Do I or don't I?

The wood is perfect, no rot. Who knows how long the tri-dominant trunk would have really lasted.

The crew? PM me if you want the name and number.

I have to say, the whole experience opens the doors now to other opportunites I didn't have with the trees in. Now I must search out deck experts, builders and contractors for the rest of the story.

In the meantime, I have tree wood chips for mulch and food smoking. BriTer, I got Silver Maple chips for you. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^ Sounds like quite the project.
The chips are great for weed control. makes a nice path between raised beds? Helps reduce the soil drying out during drought.
The crew taking away the larger pieces for future milling? Plenty in Penticton and Summerland mill the trunks for future use in furniture.
Used to do residential trees in the past as a part time gig. Clean up was always the hardest part.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Silver Maple has no commericial value, I researched that while ago.

Unfortunately I have no shade and the Chinese Elm next door will be take out next week. The roots on a small Chinese Elm are large and heavy with water, never mind a huge tree. This tree could have been taken out relatively cheaply years ago if the then property manager had listened to me in the first place. But no. Now it's hundreds of dollars.

It's destroying the driveway with its roots, so now it's driveway maintenance AND removal, stump grinding and Round-up.

Return to “Grab Bag”