Trees

A potpourri of off-topics.
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Re: Trees

Post by KPARKER83 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Chinese Elm trees an invasive species in the Okanagan? They have huge root systems with "runners" that like to pop up EVERYWHERE and have the potential to damage house foundations, fences, etc., if not controlled?
They also STINK when in "bloom".
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

What diameter are the Maples?
Ever consider leaving lengths 7-8 foot long and having them milled into slabs and after a couple of years drying, a table could be made.
Generally with 12-24" diameters, some decent wood can be milled.
Paint the ends so they don't crack while drying.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I empathize Queenie. We took out 13 pine trees over two years. They were all too close to the house and not healthy. Went from raking 50 bags of needles and cones to zero bags. That was delightful but i sure do miss my shade gardens.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

seewood wrote:What diameter are the Maples?
Ever consider leaving lengths 7-8 foot long and having them milled into slabs and after a couple of years drying, a table could be made.
Generally with 12-24" diameters, some decent wood can be milled.
Paint the ends so they don't crack while drying.

Someone is getting them. Silver Maple has no real commercial value, I googled it years ago.

I have no issues with the deal we've made. I'm happy for it in fact. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

KPARKER83 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Chinese Elm trees an invasive species in the Okanagan? They have huge root systems with "runners" that like to pop up EVERYWHERE and have the potential to damage house foundations, fences, etc., if not controlled?
They also STINK when in "bloom".

You are absolutely correct. My neighbour has two giant ones. We have to get the property management guys to agree to take them out as I am sick of their white disc seeds sprouting everywhere.

I took out a Chinese Elm Hedge and a giant one in the back ally years ago. We kept two root peices to show people how the roots get. They are huge. Bigly in American. Sorry Ferri, couldn't resist. :up: :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Moment of Silence: First tree is being cut now. :popcorn:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

pbear wrote:I empathize Queenie. We took out 13 pine trees over two years. They were all too close to the house and not healthy. Went from raking 50 bags of needles and cones to zero bags. That was delightful but i sure do miss my shade gardens.

Would you plant other trees to make up for the loss? :D
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

We didn’t plant to replace them. We still have many massive firs on the north side and 4 large maples within the yard. Unfortunately the only maple placed for shade is slowly dying and we will soon have to remove it. It also was grown too close to the house. Planting trees truly is an art form that is underrated.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've got the guy for you for the Maple! Just PM me if you want his phone number :D
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

You Beasts. I'm going to put a picture of a stump on my truck and park it in front of your place.
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh ya?

Well today is the first time I got a direct solication in my mail box asking me to sell my house to them. Maybe I'll include the truck. :130:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

A large root of our Golden Honey Locust is beginning to butt up to our driveway. Had an arborist take a look and says it's too large a root to cut without a section of the tree dying off. Love this tree but not at the expense of a new driveway. Know how you feel Queen, will be a sad day when we cut it down but enough is enough already, stop growing dammit!
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dogspoiler wrote:You Beasts. I'm going to put a picture of a stump on my truck and park it in front of your place.

A baby stump?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

Queen K wrote:I've got the guy for you for the Maple! Just PM me if you want his phone number :D

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. I just keep looking at it wanting to get one more year of shade. I hope everything went smoothly for you today.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

In the land of Saanich if you take a tree down you have to plant one.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “Grab Bag”