Typing Skills

A potpourri of off-topics.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Typing Skills

Post by Lady tehMa »

In another thread alanjh posted this:
alanjh595 wrote:I just happened upon this today.

I am sorry if it is off topic.

And I thought it was really neat.

Does anyone else have experience on these beasts?

My folks had an old Royal for the longest time. I remember the "floating caps" issue, it was such a pain. I remember fighting to change the ribbon and fussing over mistakes.

In high school I honed my keyboarding skills on an IBM Selectric - those make you feel you were typing quickly, so responsive! Having the built-in correction tape was simply awesome.

So much has changed, though. You don't need a powerful keystroke anymore - that's more of a bad habit now than a plus.

There are different types of keyboards for computers, actually. And I'm not talking about layout. Most (if not all) of us use the standard QWERTY keyboard. But what are your keys like? Most computers come with a membrane-mechanical hybrid keyboard. https://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/what-is-a-mechanical-keyboard/

You probably don't have a mechanical keyboard because they tend to be more expensive. I got one for Christmas last year (Razer Ornata Chroma https://www.razer.com/ca-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-ornata-chroma) and it is SO much better than the standard. Far more responsive, and durable. Louder though. It might drive anyone used to the quieter keyboards completely up the wall. It might seem like a bit of a waste to some because I'm not a gamer. But I really enjoy using it.

I don't think I'm as accurate as I used to be, before computers. I do know I am considerably faster though. I guess that's the tradeoff with the ability to backspace and fix things or the reliance on spellcheck.

I'm interested in hearing about your keyboard preferences and your memories . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Typing Skills

Post by alanjh595 »

I had access to a portable machine when I was very young. It weighed as much as car battery today. (Corrona?) I did not have "white out", nor a correcter ribbon. If I made a mistake, I either had to back and double strike or start all over again to get a clean page. It would have been faster to hand-write it.

Here is a copy of one of my science class reports written on that very machine.

Capture.JPG

I am willing to bet that my stalker will use this against me sometime in the future.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I learned how to type on a manual like that. My Teacher's name was Mr. Keyes. lol

The final exam I did 80WPM. Now I H&P.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I only use my index fingers, it works for me.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:I only use my index fingers, it works for me.

Sometimes when replying to certain posters I type with my middle fingers. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Sometimes when replying to certain posters I type with my middle fingers. :biggrin:

Hey if worked for Pierre, it should work for anyone. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I had to take typing lessons on one of those old manual typewriters, in grade ten we got to use the IBM selectrics... but back in those days we weren’t allowed to use calculators in math class, it was considered cheating.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The first typewriter I used was my mom’s electric, later-on she bought one that had a small screen where you could read two lines at a time and it saved to a floppy disk. I wrote a screenplay on that thing with six finger typing.

I didn’t learn to type until I was almost 30. Most of the girls in my grade took typing, I didn’t. It wasn’t necessary like it is now. Our reports and essays were all due in handwriting with no liquid paper allowed. I’m certainly not a great typist, but daayyyyum as I get older, I find that if my hands are cold, my typos are amusing.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Lucky you, we had the old manuals ... Selectric didn't make an appearance in the high school I attended until after graduation. Passing mark was 60wpm - I hit 93.

Was used to a really old manual at home as I was the one elected to type on blueprints and shop drawings for dad. This is the beast.

RoyalTypewriter.jpg
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Nine-finger typing provided me with skilled work - learned on a Royal manual, progressed to IBM Selectric with carbon ribbon, whiteout then on to optical view processor and then to true computer with lookup, autofill. Mind, the technology was secondary to the niche knowledge I possessed. But it was fun using the advancing technology.
Chill
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Beautiful photo.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Some of you are seriously hardcore typists!

I remember when I came here to go to college I needed 30wpm to make it into the class, I was so pleased I "beat" with 32wpm! [icon_lol2.gif]
I haven't failed until I quit.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Not sure why, I wrap my thumbs around my index fingers while typing.

I still have a couple old hard-stroke machines from a bygone era.

My wrists always seemed to be in splints during mandatory typing class
in school. :D

Got my credit through perfect attendance.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Lady tehMa wrote:Some of you are seriously hardcore typists!

Worked for me ... remember when the office went high tech and had this sucker installed.
Telex.gif

Rep had all the admin assistants in the office try it out and informed everyone I couldn't use the machine - I was too fast and the machine couldn't keep up - messages would be garbled at the other end.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I remember the old beasts - did all my high school papers on one of them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Grab Bag”