Palm Trees in Waterfront Park

A potpourri of off-topics.

Palm Trees in Waterfront Park

Postby bigtimeoperations » Jun 12th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Walked though Waterfront Park for the first time in a while, and much to my surprise I discovered palm trees on the beach. :135: What a stupid waste of tax dollars (palm trees can't be cheap) to try and make Kelowna something its not. They are in planters to be brought indoors during the winter. Well duh of course! This is the "Great White North" of Canada, not Hawaii. Even the slightest frost and they would be completely dead. Why not plant local Ponderosa Pines instead? At least they don't need to be brought inside for the winter. This is asinine!

Lots of places in Canada are warm enough in the summer that you could have palm trees outside in planters, as long as they're brought in before the cold. Kelowna is not that special lol.

2 people like this post.
bigtimeoperations
Fledgling

Liked in: 127 posts

Re: Palm Trees in Waterfront Park

Postby Country plough boy » Jun 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Makes the tfws feel welcome ?
Country plough boy
Übergod

Liked in: 891 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jun 12th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Another day and another episode of Kelowna's very own

“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

4 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4217 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jun 12th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Perhaps, throw some salt into the lake to turn it into an ocean.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!

3 people like this post.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 678 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Jun 12th, 2019, 4:37 pm

bigtimeoperations wrote:Walked though Waterfront Park for the first time in a while, and much to my surprise I discovered palm trees on the beach. :135: What a stupid waste of tax dollars (palm trees can't be cheap) to try and make Kelowna something its not. They are in planters to be brought indoors during the winter. Well duh of course! This is the "Great White North" of Canada, not Hawaii. Even the slightest frost and they would be completely dead. Why not plant local Ponderosa Pines instead? At least they don't need to be brought inside for the winter. This is asinine!

Lots of places in Canada are warm enough in the summer that you could have palm trees outside in planters, as long as they're brought in before the cold. Kelowna is not that special lol.

Sorry to put a hole in your rant, but there's more palms in Kelowna than one is obviously aware of. I pass this one *removed* almost every day and it's been here for years. Owners wrap it up for winter just as many people do with ornamental shrubs, tress, cedars. Having them in planters that are removable is even more convenient. As for Ponderosa pines at Waterfront Park? No.

Screenshot (21).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 12th, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Address removed
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby fall » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:02 pm

The palms look awesome. I recall the same topic last year. They also showcase Geert Maas sculptures and make them look ok. The city is going to waste money regardless, that’s kind of what they do.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 671 posts

Postby good-cause-girl » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:12 pm

These are Chinese Windmill Palms (Trachycarpus fortunei)and they are very common trees here in BC. They are all over Victoria and Salt Spring Island and Vancouver and there is no reason they could not do quite well here. They handle the cooler/cold just fine and are very beautiful trees.
They don't fruit. They don't drop leaves everywhere. They don't destroy property with massive roots.

Not sure why you are in such a knot, its a Palm tree and you live where it can and does grow. They don't grow in Winnipeg for a reason, *bleep* weather.

2 people like this post.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby bigtimeoperations » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:24 pm

They look ridiculous. I dislike them cause they exemplify the whole "Kelownafornia" attitude. We live in Canada, eh!
bigtimeoperations
Fledgling

Liked in: 127 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Just no sharks in the lake, please!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby WalterWhite » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm

bigtimeoperations wrote:They look ridiculous. I dislike them cause they exemplify the whole "Kelownafornia" attitude. We live in Canada, eh!

Even the slightest frost and they would be completely dead.

It’s ok if it’s too hard to admit you were wrong. You’re entitled to your opinion on whether you like them or not, but as has been pointed out, they can survive here just fine.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jun 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Sorry to put a hole in your rant, but there's more palms in Kelowna than one is obviously aware of. I pass this one *removed* almost every day and it's been here for years.

I am pleasantly surprised. Didn’t know it was possible. However, it does require some (a lot?) of work, and in this case, taxpayer’s money. It might be just me, but palm trees in Kelowna look very out of place.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Lilapplepie » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm

I like the palm trees
Lilapplepie
Fledgling

Liked in: 18 posts

Return to Grab Bag