Headline - Fire burns near Vancouver

A potpourri of off-topics.

Headline - Fire burns near Vancouver

Postby my5cents » Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:22 pm

First off the source of the headline is The Canadian Press, but published in Castanet.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#259489

Really ? Is The Canadian Press so anxious for a headline ? The wildfire is located between Horseshoe Bay and Lions Bay. Between the fire and the closest boundary of the City of Vancouver are a few "small" areas. Horseshoe Bay and West Vancouver then, Burrard Inlet (7 kms of water).

The internet is full of "click bait" but you'd think CP would be above playing that game.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1691 posts

Re: Headline - Fire burns near Vancouver

Postby Country plough boy » Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 23rd, 2019, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Country plough boy
Übergod

Liked in: 891 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:51 pm

my5cents wrote:The wildfire is located between Horseshoe Bay and Lions Bay.

Which is near Vancouver.
my5cents wrote:Between the fire and the closest boundary of the City of Vancouver are a few "small" areas. Horseshoe Bay and West Vancouver then, Burrard Inlet (7 kms of water).

So, what is the correct and accurate definition of "near"?
my5cents wrote:The internet is full of "click bait" but you'd think CP would be above playing that game.

That I don't disagree with, that and very lazy headlines.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4341 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm

OKkayak wrote:
my5cents wrote:Between the fire and the closest boundary of the City of Vancouver are a few "small" areas. Horseshoe Bay and West Vancouver then, Burrard Inlet (7 kms of water).

So, what is the correct and accurate definition of "near"?

"Near" is relative to the distance from the event and the severity.

If a cruise ship sunk in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a US publication anywhere east of mid the west to describe the location as "near Seattle" or "north of Seattle". But you wouldn't expect a local Washington publication describe the location that way.

I guess if this was a news item in the New York Times, "near Vancouver" might be understandable.

If there was a wild fire North of Peachland, and the news item was in media in the Okanagan would "near Kelowna" be appropriate ? Perhaps "north of Peachland, which is 20 kms from Kelowna" if the news item was contained in media 1000 + km away.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby Gilchy » Jun 23rd, 2019, 1:42 pm

This may be nitpickiest thread in Castanet’s history, which is saying something. The fire is near Vancouver, seems pretty straightforward.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 981 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 23rd, 2019, 2:06 pm

Gilchy wrote:This may be nitpickiest thread in Castanet’s history, which is saying something. The fire is near Vancouver, seems pretty straightforward.

I guess unless you are from Vancouver and realize the geography.

I was unaware that I should check with you for authorization to start a topic.

Country plough boy likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Return to Grab Bag