A Kelowna wildlife rescue-your opinion.

A potpourri of off-topics.

A Kelowna wildlife rescue-your opinion.

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 26th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Do you think that a non profit, donation only, wildlife rescue, mammal and avian, would work here?
The closest one is in Osoyoos I think.
Would there be enough people with enough money, and enough heart to make it happen?
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1394 posts

Re: A Kelowna wildlife rescue-your opinion.

Postby Brushy Bill » Jun 27th, 2019, 9:26 am

Is there a problem that needs fixing? Do you expect an uptick in the number of human caused wildlife issues?
Might be good though so the guy who brought the bear to the vet would have an alternative
"A motorist was travelling from Revelstoke to Lake Country on Hwy. 1, and they hit a bear on the road. They then picked the injured bear up, put it in the vehicle, and drove to the vet clinic in Lake Country," Kneller said. "It kind of made me shake my head."
The bear died, and the vet clinic contacted BC Conservation to take the bear away, Kneller said.
Despite the best intentions, there are serious legal implications — not to mention incredible dangers — in interacting with wildlife in this manner, Kneller said.

oldtrucker likes this post.
Brushy Bill
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 27th, 2019, 11:21 am

Brushy Bill wrote:Is there a problem that needs fixing? Do you expect an uptick in the number of human caused wildlife issues?

I'm not being sarcastic here but yes, there is a problem that needs fixing, and it is a very long answer to that question. Let me sum it up...Holocene Extinction Event. That's the obvious big scheme of things problem.

On a local scale though here in the central Okanagan, there will always be injured, abandoned or whatever creatures that will need our assistance- especially because humans cause a lot of problems for them. The more our cities and development expands, the more problems and injuries to wildlife there will be around here …-it'll just go up. Maybe it's just me, but I think any effort to assist wildlife, no matter how small that effort is can only do good for it. Or, maybe I'm crazy for even caring.

I'm not sure, but I think the one in Osoyoos just does raptors...so I was told by a bird person I know.

The bear in the article would have died anyway. What if it wasn't badly injured and it could have been helped...but there is no where to take it to help it if it was around here. Moose ,bear, deer, cougar, yodi, or a ugly stinky muskrat, bird with a busted wing...whatever...doesn't matter what it is.

Maybe someone has already tried to do a wildlife rescue here and for some reason that I'm not aware of, it can't be done here.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1394 posts

Postby MalaPropina » Jun 27th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Maybe try contacting rescues like the humane society or TRACS. They might have information as to whether or not its been tried here. Or perhaps some of the long established veterinarians. I'm sure they've gotten calls over the years about various critters.

To establish a rescue you'd have to partner with a vet for low cost services. You'd have to decide if you want it to be a registered charity capable of fundraising and issuing tax receipts. Because you'd be dealing with wildlife there's likely regulations and/or licensing involved.

oldtrucker likes this post.
MalaPropina
Fledgling

Liked in: 348 posts

Return to Grab Bag