Duracell Batteries

A potpourri of off-topics.

Duracell Batteries

Postby my5cents » Jul 9th, 2019, 4:58 pm

If this helps just one person, my job is done.....

I have a couple of remote temperature sensors for a temp monitor. A lot of people have them.

One went dead the other day. It was due to go, I was expecting it.

It take 2 AAA cells. I buy my batteries at Costco, a box of, 20 ? 24 ? Not sure. Just opened this box.

Took out two new ones and put them in, and bingo all done,,,, nope, the read out is blank. Maybe something wrong with the batteries, so took out two more, still blank.

A day screwing around, considering that maybe the unit just gave up the ghost at that moment.

Then started checking the voltage in the unit....

What I found was the new Duracell batteries were slightly different from the old ones. The positive little "button" on top extended out from the body of the battery about 25/1000 of an inch, but the old ones extended out about 47/1000 of an inch. That was enough for the positive end of the battery to not reach the contact in the unit.

Now I don't know if it was a production problem with a certain run of batteries or a change in design for just Duracell or for all batteries, but it was a head scratcher. The total length of the batteries (old & new) from the tip of the positive button to the flat negative end are the same.

All I had to do was bend the contact towards the battery slightly and everything was fine.

It wouldn't do this for all appliances that take AAA batteries, but the one I have it was enough that it wouldn't work until I modified the unit. When I put new batteries in the second remote the same thing happened, had to do the modification.

In the photo you can see the difference. The older battery (on top) the button sticks out just a little further than the new batteries button (the one on the bottom)

It's not much, about the thickness of 5 pieces of normal paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1689 posts

Re: Duracell Batteries

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 10th, 2019, 5:54 am

I don't doubt your observations. The other thing that I have found with these outdoor/indoor monitors is that corrosion forms over the positive end of the unit. When I have to replace mine, I always scratch that "tang" with a nail file. They draw so little voltage that it takes very little resistance to interrupt the power flow.
Wouldn't hurt to do the same thing to both ends of the battery, though the spring end will probably scratch the battery for you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4740 posts

Postby my5cents » Jul 10th, 2019, 9:14 am

alanjh595 wrote:I don't doubt your observations. The other thing that I have found with these outdoor/indoor monitors is that corrosion forms over the positive end of the unit. When I have to replace mine, I always scratch that "tang" with a nail file. They draw so little voltage that it takes very little resistance to interrupt the power flow.
Wouldn't hurt to do the same thing to both ends of the battery, though the spring end will probably scratch the battery for you.

Oh, I checked everything. Even though there was no corrosion evident, I cleaned all the battery contact surfaces. It was definitely the new dimensions of the battery. Once the contact was bent slightly all was well.

It was a very small modification, it's just you don't expect that with a national brand battery to change dimensions such that something that had worked seamlessly for years, now wouldn't work.

I contacted Duracell, they blamed the design of the product needing the battery. Their response was :

"All Duracell batteries are manufactured to IEC and ANSI specifications for dimensional size. If the battery does not fit, it's possible the device was not designed to accept the entire dimensional range of IEC or ANSI specifications."
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby my5cents » Jul 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Follow-up

I checked the IEC and ANSI specifications. The positive button on a AAA battery is required to protrude from the body of the battery by a MINIMUM of 31/1000ths of an inch. The old Duracell protruded 45/1000ths, the new one, 31/1000ths of an inch.

So Duracell is in compliance. I suspect there will be many people replacing batteries in TV remotes etc and will find they don't make contact.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm

That is really bad when they couldn't say, "Sorry, for the inconvenience, here is a coupon for 4 new AAA batteries"
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Bsuds likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4740 posts

Postby my5cents » Jul 10th, 2019, 5:13 pm

alanjh595 wrote:That is really bad when they couldn't say, "Sorry, for the inconvenience, here is a coupon for 4 new AAA batteries"

Quit reading my mind :D
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Return to Grab Bag