Price on website not same as in store

A potpourri of off-topics.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Price on website not same as in store

Post by Merry »

I just got back from the mall and I'm so mad I could spit; so I figured I vent my rage on here in the form of a rant. LOL

I need a new carry on bag for a flight I'm taking on a European discount airline. The size of the two I have (which are fine on a regular airline) are too big for Ryanair.

So I went online last night and checked out the size of all the inventory at a couple of stores we have locally, and wound up choosing 3 at one particular store which appeared suitable according to the measurements given on the store website (I used the "full" measurement, which they state includes the handle and wheels).

When I got to the store, tape measure in hand, only one of the bags lived up to the promise, the other two were too big. So I grabbed the one that would work and went to the counter to pay for it. The online site said it was on sale for $89, but they store said it was $120. And when I told her the website said it was on sale, she informed me that the web price and the store price are often different. So at that point I left the store, and went and shopped elsewhere (found a nice bag that was the right size on sale at the Bay)

But I'm still mad that I drove all the way into town (20 min) based on erroneous information on the store's website. The website said the bag was "in stock" at the Vernon store (even told me how many they had there) with absolutely NO mention of it being a higher price.

It took me a couple of hours the evening before to do all the research into these bags, and I feel as though I completely wasted my time. How many of you guys knew that the web price and the store price could often be so very different? I sure didn't, but now that I do I'll always make sure to phone ahead in future to double check.

It's interesting to note that the other two bags I was considering WERE on sale for the same price as the website. So don't know why the one I wanted wasn't.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Price on website not same as in store

Post by Bsuds »

I would complain to their HO as I believe they have to honor the Web price.

Most places these days will meet/beat a price from a competitors website so should also honor their own.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Have some bad news for you Merry there are in some cases 2 prices.
1) in store
2) online

Many times they will match, unfortunately not always.

Old saying now comes up "buyer beware".

Added later: more than likely somewhere it will have in small print may or may not match online price.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'm going to check the website again and look to see if there's any "fine print" but I don't think there was.

The website even allowed me to enter my post code, and then told me whether or not the bags I was looking at were in stock at my local store and, if so, how many they had.

I wouldn't be so upset if it had clearly stated that the price would be higher; but am mad that I drove 20 mins to find out it was a lot more money than advertised on the website.

Stores should be more honest about differences between in-store and online pricing if they want to avoid these kind of misunderstandings.

The fact that the online measurements weren't accurate either, didn't help my mood. I'd spent a lot of time researching only to find out that the information provided was mainly wrong (2 of the 3 bags were the wrong size, and the only bag that fit was a different price).

As it was I was so mad I was willing to pay a higher price and buy my bag elsewhere, rather than give my business to a company using misleading advertising. Maybe I "cut off my nose to spite my face" by doing that, but it sure made me feel better!!!!!! LOL.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Just checked the website, and I can't find anything about online and in store pricing being different. So I just sent them an email telling them that if that is the case, they should mention it on their website.

Don't imagine it will do any good, but it made me feel better just writing it. I'm tired of companies misleading us by not being entirely honest.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

buyer be aware
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

That's way too much drama over $30.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That depends on what you would/could do with $30. ;-)

I can do ‘drama’ give me $30 and I will spare you my drama.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If it's the store I'm thinking of, they do have a disclaimer on the web site but you have to search for it.

Are in-store and online prices and promotions identical?
****** offers exclusive in-store and online promotions, so the prices can differ.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Thanks for that; I obviously missed it when I looked. But they really should put it in a more prominent place, so that people don’t do as I did and drive a fair distance only to be disappointed.
Lilapplepie
Fledgling

Post by Lilapplepie »

I used to work retail and was told we have to honor the price on the website with proof of course. Should have talked to a manager or send an email to the higher ups of the store.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

No, they don't have to honor the web price in store. There is always something on the site that says that the two may differ..

However, in the interest of customer loyalty, that should not be the case. I too would have been *bleep* and I know better.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Lilapplepie wrote:I used to work retail and was told we have to honor the price on the website with proof of course. Should have talked to a manager or send an email to the higher ups of the store.

I did talk to the lady who appeared to be the one in charge, and she was the one who informed me that the web and in store prices were not all the same (and then immediately returned to a conversation she was having with a friend who was standing by the counter, and who was not another employee).

When I got home I emailed website customer service and asked about the price discrepancy, and they replied that it is true that the prices sometimes differ.

No apology for my wasted time.

The fact that prices are not always the same should be clearly indicated on their website, not buried in some obscure spot. But, as that is not the case, I decided to create this discussion on Castanet, in the hope it makes people more aware of the fact so that they don’t make the same mistake that I did.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just curious if you can order online and pick up in store?

Because if you can then their story about differing prices is BS. (which it is anyway)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Not sure about that, but if they are going to offer cheaper prices online that is definitely going to undercut the profits at the local store. Which is one reason you’d think the local store would be willing to match the price.

I guess the moral of this story is don’t shop local, but it surprises me that those who work in the local store appear complicit in this. If they can’t afford to price match, you’d have thought they’d have at least been sympathetic about the situation, instead of just being intent on returning to their private conversation.

Return to “Grab Bag”