What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

A potpourri of off-topics.

What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

Postby bb49 » Aug 24th, 2019, 3:40 pm

My neighbour is again growing pot in his backyard, probably eight to twelve plants. Last year he grew at least a half dozen.
Well the smell from these plants is just too much. Each year it starts around June, drifting into our yard and at times into our house and basement. And it lasts well into September or October.
It's gotten to the point that we can't enjoy our backyard, so on nice days if we're home, it's indoor time. And to make matters worse the prevailing winds come from his direction.

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police, besides they have more serious issues to deal with. And what could they do, pull out all the plants but four. Then we still have that smell and a very pi$$ed off neighbour.
Theres no point talking to the neighbour, he's always in a smokey haze, but seems to quite proud of his plants. Probably one of the few accomplishments in his life. His plants are at least seven feet tall now.

We're not moving, invested too much sweat and money into this place, so that's not an option.

Any sensible, realistic suggestions from you readers would be appreciated.
Diversity is our Burden
bb49

Liked in: 77 posts

Re: What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

Postby just popping in » Aug 24th, 2019, 4:08 pm

My next door neighbour also has a licence to grow but is over the limit.
Unfortunately, I really don't think there is anything that can be done but hope harvest season is soon.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 551 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Aug 24th, 2019, 4:22 pm

24854B09-3747-479F-9205-DB758436CC30.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2096 posts

Postby LTD » Aug 24th, 2019, 4:26 pm

bb49 wrote:My neighbour is again growing pot in his backyard, probably eight to twelve plants. Last year he grew at least a half dozen.
Well the smell from these plants is just too much. Each year it starts around June, drifting into our yard and at times into our house and basement. And it lasts well into September or October.
It's gotten to the point that we can't enjoy our backyard, so on nice days if we're home, it's indoor time. And to make matters worse the prevailing winds come from his direction.

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police, besides they have more serious issues to deal with. And what could they do, pull out all the plants but four. Then we still have that smell and a very pi$$ed off neighbour.
Theres no point talking to the neighbour, he's always in a smokey haze, but seems to quite proud of his plants. Probably one of the few accomplishments in his life. His plants are at least seven feet tall now.

We're not moving, invested too much sweat and money into this place, so that's not an option.

Any sensible, realistic suggestions from you readers would be appreciated.

whats your address :biggrin:

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3816 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 24th, 2019, 4:39 pm

You have two choices.
Suck it up.
Call the police.
Nobody else can help you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

vegas1500 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4727 posts

Postby seewood » Aug 24th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Copper 2 wood preservative poured into the ground. 4-6 days later, dead plants and nothing on the stems/leaves to say otherwise.
Works great for Siberian Elms that have a too deep root system to pull by hand.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1617 posts

Postby bb49 » Aug 25th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far.
I realize that harvest time is coming so I'm looking at what to do next year. I will not tolerate this stink next summer, under any circumstances.
Btw, I'm not sure when he harvested his crop last year. The bushes where still standing this spring.

alanjh595 wrote:You have two choices.
Suck it up.
Call the police.
Nobody else can help you.

Alan, I don't plan to "suck it up".
This is our home and too much invested in it to cave in to a neighbour who doesn't give a damn about those around him. Btw, he is a royal pain to everyone who's near him, loud stereo, loud engines, running around the streets on his dirt bike, snowmobile, running his chainsaw an hour after sundown, etc.
As I mentioned, in regards to the pot plants the police won't be involved.
Diversity is our Burden
bb49

Postby Lilapplepie » Aug 25th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I have a similar problem. I feel its too late this year, but I am trying to plan for next summer so I can enjoy the outdoors. I was looking into trees or plants that suck up the smell...maybe a water fountain with a special fixture to absorb the smell. I'm still looking. If you find something let us know.
Lilapplepie
Fledgling

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby Catsumi » Aug 25th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Sure wish I could help.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 5936 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 25th, 2019, 6:11 pm

I agree, there is a 4 plant limit.. so if the neighbour violates that you can report. No one here can do anything to help you :(
Why don't you want to involve the Authorities if it bothers you so? You are within your rights
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

Lady tehMa likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6088 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 25th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Your original post stated:

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police,

The story has just changed. I don't believe it any more and am sorry that I offered a suggestion. You are on your own.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4727 posts

Postby bb49 » Aug 25th, 2019, 7:29 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Your original post stated:

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police,

The story has just changed. I don't believe it any more and am sorry that I offered a suggestion. You are on your own.

It changed? How so?
Diversity is our Burden
bb49

Postby LANDM » Aug 25th, 2019, 8:14 pm

The only problem with some of the suggestions is that one could be charged with some sort of poisoning related issue, perhaps. Who remembers when the Americans convinced the Mexicans to spray paraqat on the pot fields in the ‘70’s? It was harvested quickly and sold as Colombian gold and there were some lung injuries with North American purchasers,

Too bad about the smell for you. Sneak over and cut them down?

normaM likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4402 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 26th, 2019, 6:43 am

I was thinking, maybe offer to buy him a cheap small greenhouse.. explain the smell is getting inside your home. I don't usually notice the smell until it is dried and processed. If you call the police why do you think he will accuse you sounds like he is a peice of work and could have been anyone in the area phone him in
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

bb49 likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6088 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 26th, 2019, 11:38 am

I imagine you actually spoke to your neighbor about the mater and explained to them how you feel about the smell.

Although it mostly seems to relate to indoor gardens there may be some ideas here.
https://m.wikihow.com/Hide-the-Smell-of ... ana-Plants

My experience is once law enforcement is involved a problem usually escalates making things worse for everyone.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 496 posts

Next

Return to Grab Bag