Welcome to GregB

A potpourri of off-topics.
Jo
Slot 16

Welcome to GregB

Post by Jo »

I would like to welcome the techie genius of all techie geniuses: GregB. You've probably seen a smattering of his posts here and there on the board.

He is from Orange County, California, and is one of the movers and shakers in the world of computer software. I think you could ask Greg just about anything regarding computer technology, and he'd be able to give you the definitive answer. I'll let him tell you more about what he does, it is too technical for this Philistine to grasp with any degree of accuracy.

He and I have known each other cyberly since back in the mid 90's, when we were both posting to a wonderful little forum called Post & Riposte, sponsored by Atlantic Monthly magazine.

Oh, and he is also a white whine sucking dog. :lol:

And he's trouble. :127:
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

welcome greg!! :smt039

i'm white also!
gregb
Fledgling

Re: Welcome to GregB

Post by gregb »

Jo wrote:
Oh, and he is also a white whine sucking dog. :lol:

And he's trouble. :127:

I doubt that very much.....

I was at a family party once. Some obscure relative was cursing the world about how his computer at home wasn't working. My proud parents--who tried to make the same grandiose claims about me knowing everything about computers as just now made in this thread--told this total whack job relative that I would gladly and for free, travel to his house, fix all his computer problems, educate him on his ignorance, and then provide him free phone support for the next 15 years anytime he did something stupid on the computer like double install conflicting virus checkers and free internet service provider software packages even though he already had an ISP (and then subsequently lie about not doing it even in the face of clearly contradictory logs).

"Oh you fix computers? I have a friend who does that."

That was 1991.

It's my own fault really. When someone asked me what I did, it was so much easier to say I worked on computers rather than saying what I really did: It was doing research around open hypertext, decentralized work, computer-human interaction, Web protocol, open standards and open source.

Finally after several years when people started to understand what the WWW was, I just told people that I worked on Web infrastructure software and standards.

"Oh you make Web pages? I have a friend who does that."

That was 1996.

I started my own company sometime after that based on some research that I had been working on for a long time. It was a decentralized, secure, SSL-like VPN thingy that let you share corporate documents and other media directly off of your desktop--even through corporate firewalls. A year or so later, Napster became popular and everyone knew what P2P was (peer to peer) and there was a huge rush by venture capitalists to figure out how to make money off of it.

"Oh, P2P? You steal music online. I have a friend who does that."

That was 1999.

Everything after that's been a blur. :-)

Greg
“There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.” Jon von Neumann
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Welcome to GregB

Post by Jo »

gregb wrote:Everything after that's been a blur. :-)

Oh, you do blurs? I have a friend who does that. :lol:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Welcome Greg! I've had several blurs! :130:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
gregb
Fledgling

Could just be some new glasses...

Post by gregb »

bsuds wrote:Welcome Greg! I've had several blurs! :130:

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. I'm sure my hagiographer will sort it all out for me.

At least I hope so,

Greg
“There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.” Jon von Neumann
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Welcome gregb.

And I will be the first to thank you for having Jo pm all the members your number for the free telephone support offer. You are too kind.
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Could just be some new glasses...

Post by Jo »

gregb wrote:
bsuds wrote:Welcome Greg! I've had several blurs! :130:

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. I'm sure my hagiographer will sort it all out for me.

At least I hope so,

Greg

Your usual hagiographer is searching for better blurs, but hey, I can let the ladies here see what a cutie you are: http://www.bolcer.org/home

And I can remember when he was still working on his PhD thesis, and he had his eye on a gorgeous woman in the next office to his . . . and now that woman is his wife, and he has two darling boys!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

onestop67 wrote:Welcome gregb.

And I will be the first to thank you for having Jo pm all the members your number for the free telephone support offer. You are too kind.

You mean SELL that number, don't you? :lol:
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Jo wrote:
onestop67 wrote:Welcome gregb.

You mean SELL that number, don't you? :lol:

I get it. The offer is free, the actual support will cost ya.

I got charged $50 once to connect to a 1-900# because of doublespeak like that. $2.99 a minute my *bleep*.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

onestop67 wrote:I got charged $50 once to connect to a 1-900# because of doublespeak like that. $2.99 a minute my *bleep*.

Ahhh, but was she worth it? :lol:
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Jo wrote:Ahhh, but was she worth it? :lol:

It was called "Country Girls" but it sounded more like a 50's something man. Her/his excuse was strep throat. :138:
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

:lol: Maybe he/she was really saying, "I strap n' throw't bad boys like you" or something like? :140:
Trainer Mick
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Trainer Mick »

onestop67 wrote:
Jo wrote:Ahhh, but was she worth it? :lol:

It was called "Country Girls" but it sounded more like a 50's something man. Her/his excuse was strep throat. :138:

Better than "Sexy Stutterrers." Even at a straight $2.99/minute it's at least a $1539.42 bill after taxes and roaming fees.
Looking for more than the illusion.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

welcome gregb, since yer like totally in like California could you send me a case of white wine? :lol: oh, and i have a friend in Moro Bay. do you know him?

:lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Grab Bag”