Penny Gouging at the Pumps! Grrr

A potpourri of off-topics.
Olivia
Fledgling

Penny Gouging at the Pumps! Grrr

Post by Olivia »

How in the hell do they squeeze that extra penny into the pump price after you’ve finished pumping your gas? Today the pumped stopped at $20.01. I only wanted $20… but that penny seems to almost always get me.

I hung up the pump and walking away it said $20.01. Go to pay for the gas and was informed it’s $20.02. How did that second penny sneak in there?
The clerk was a dip and just kept tripping over his tongue trying to explain and he really couldn't care less. I walked away.
Is it just me or are the pumps regulated/calibrated to squeeze that penny or 2 in? :-X

I know it’s only pennies, it seems so trivial, I agree, but pennies add up over time and dammit! it’s the principal of it all.
Thanks for letting me have my rant. sigh
~ An act of kindness will put a smile in your heart, and your kisser!~
Canada4Life
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Canada4Life »

Any gas pump I've ever used had a sign that said if there was any discrepancy between the price at the pump and the price at the till the former shall prevail. If it's really that big a deal for you then refuse to pay the extra penny.
Olivia
Fledgling

Re: Penny Gouging at the Pumps! Grrr

Post by Olivia »

Olivia wrote:
Is it just me or are the pumps regulated/calibrated to squeeze that penny or 2 in? :-X

Well, got my answer today, directly from the gas station attendant!
Getting gas today, I thought (hadn't read otherwise today) that we were supposed to be paying prior to gassing up at the pumps. Put my card in, waited forever in the cold, only to be told by the pump that my "transaction was cancelled"... waited briefly for a cancellation receipt, didn't get one...proceeded into the building, and inquired as to what may have gone wrong.. blah blah blah, so I paid directly to the attendant using my bank card. I asked her that now after paying, if the pump said I was over by a penny, did I have to come back in and pay that? She says.. "The pumps used to go over all the time, but they've slowed the pumps down so now it will stop when you stop"... and "no, you don't have to come back in and pay the penny or 2 over if it goes over"

Back to my car, and noticed the receipt slip sticking out.. looked like mine, my amount, the time I was there, so headed back in... they have a look at it, but don't think it went thru.. I said.. "I'll keep an eye on my account"

I'm a nice gal, easy going, great sense of humor... But Oh! I Hate being gouged! :-X
~ An act of kindness will put a smile in your heart, and your kisser!~

Return to “Grab Bag”