Monday, July 28th23.3°C
22568
21911

Like you never saw this coming....

Non-denominational discussion. Everybody welcome.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby juz516 » Oct 30th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Absolutely nothing....the problem comes in when they think they have to convince everyone around them to believe what they believe. I have total respect for anyone, no matter what they believe, providing they do not push it on me. Grew up with a grandparent that did that...that was plenty.
juz516
Board Meister
 
Posts: 632
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 26th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby Bman » Nov 12th, 2012, 12:56 pm

normaM wrote:of course you care GF, care so much you can't hush
Now, I don't care about cats, so I don't post about cats
Don't care about the fires, so I don't post in that thread
whenever ppl are so all over saying how they " don't care" yet never shut up I think, hey you care wayyy more than you admit


NormaM doesnt care about cats, yet I worship them.
Hail to the kitties. All glory and praise be to the fellow feline.
Whats god to one is dog to the dyslexic.
Don't do that. You'll poke his eye out and we'll lose the house.
User avatar
Bman
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19361
Likes: 1580 posts
Liked in: 1202 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: 31 Spooner Street

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby dogspoiler » Nov 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Dog is mans best friend.
Religion is mans biggest failure.
dogspoiler
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13700
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 729 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2009, 4:32 am

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby cliffy1 » Nov 13th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Babbitman wrote:NormaM doesnt care about cats, yet I worship them.
Hail to the kitties. All glory and praise be to the fellow feline.
Whats god to one is dog to the dyslexic.

Cats have never got over being worshiped as gods in Egypt thousands of years ago. If you have any doubts about a cat's god complex, just watch them walk away from you.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 858
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 30th, 2012, 1:15 pm

By the way - it isn't just atheists who tend to be anti-religion, many agnostics are also anti-religious.

I'll stick to my view that secularism is the friend of religious freedom.

Religious freedom comes with the responsibility that you have to allow the other person to believe what they want. I have no problem with religious groups having their doctrines et al, until they try to impose them on others.

If somebody wants to pray, meditate or whatever on their lunch break, if it doesn't coerce or harm others - so be it. But, if they start preempting public spaces in an organized way - that starts to cross the line. I don't believe that any religion should be permitted access to public schools. Rent space in hall down the block, fine, but not IN the school.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2229
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 470 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby averagejoe » Nov 30th, 2012, 2:06 pm

hobbyguy wrote:By the way - it isn't just atheists who tend to be anti-religion, many agnostics are also anti-religious.

I'll stick to my view that secularism is the friend of religious freedom.

Religious freedom comes with the responsibility that you have to allow the other person to believe what they want. I have no problem with religious groups having their doctrines et al, until they try to impose them on others.

If somebody wants to pray, meditate or whatever on their lunch break, if it doesn't coerce or harm others - so be it. But, if they start preempting public spaces in an organized way - that starts to cross the line. I don't believe that any religion should be permitted access to public schools. Rent space in hall down the block, fine, but not IN the school.


Totally agree. But only 1 religion is under total attack in the Western world.

Have a look who wants to remove a Christian statue...

HELENA, Mont. – A lawsuit seeking the removal of a Jesus statue near a Montana ski resort will go on after a national group of atheists and agnostics produced a local member who says he is offended by the religious symbol whenever he swooshes down the slopes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11 ... z2Dk5A6JWg
Some people like to call everything they can't handle a conspiracy.
Quote by DerKaiser
User avatar
averagejoe
Guru
 
Posts: 6511
Likes: 552 posts
Liked in: 188 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:21 am

That lawsuit is just rubbish. I may not be a fan of religions but the thinking behind that lawsuit is dogmatic. I'm not offended driving past churches, or mosques or temples or synagogues. The "holier than thou" types that launch stuff like this really cheese me off.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2229
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 470 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby binky11 » Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:47 am

Christian prayer used to be PART of school and that was a problem.


There are way more problems in the schools now then back then when Christian prayers and discipline were allowed.
Compare the kids of the 60's and 70's to the present. Christian prayer is not allowed here in Canada but the muslims can leave class to pray. That is discrimination. The persecution of Christians is well underway and one only needs to come into this forum as a Christian to see how true this is.
Image
User avatar
binky11
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 12 posts
Joined: Jun 7th, 2005, 3:36 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby fluffy » Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:48 am

I'd be more apt to write off the "persecution" you refer to in here as general intolerance against organized religion of all types, and spiritual beliefs in general. There are always those whose justification for their own beliefs is built around criticism of the beliefs of others. Of course Christianity, as the prevailing religion in our end of the planet, is going to catch the lions share of that sort of mindset. I also see a great deal of open-mindedness in here, and an indication that spiritual beliefs are not on the wane, but undergoing an evolution into something much more personal than many of the organized religions are able or willing to provide.
quick - report this post to a mod
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15357
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 806 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby averagejoe » Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:49 pm

binky11 wrote:
There are way more problems in the schools now then back then when Christian prayers and discipline were allowed.
Compare the kids of the 60's and 70's to the present. Christian prayer is not allowed here in Canada but the muslims can leave class to pray. That is discrimination. The persecution of Christians is well underway and one only needs to come into this forum as a Christian to see how true this is.


10/10 binky11!
Some people like to call everything they can't handle a conspiracy.
Quote by DerKaiser
User avatar
averagejoe
Guru
 
Posts: 6511
Likes: 552 posts
Liked in: 188 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby cliffy1 » Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

averagejoe wrote:10/10 binky11!

Too funny. Perhaps it is payback for all the persecution of other religions by Christians over the past 2000 years.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 858
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby averagejoe » Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:52 pm

And you will also be on the receiving line too.
Some people like to call everything they can't handle a conspiracy.
Quote by DerKaiser
User avatar
averagejoe
Guru
 
Posts: 6511
Likes: 552 posts
Liked in: 188 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby cliffy1 » Jul 4th, 2013, 12:13 am

averagejoe wrote:And you will also be on the receiving line too.

You have no idea. I have been on the receiving end of Christian bigotry. It only strengthened my faith.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 858
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby averagejoe » Jul 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm

cliffy1 wrote:You have no idea. I have been on the receiving end of Christian bigotry. It only strengthened my faith.


If I remember right, you were a Christian and then took up the Pagan religion of Mother Earth. How were you at the "end of Christian bigotry"?
Some people like to call everything they can't handle a conspiracy.
Quote by DerKaiser
User avatar
averagejoe
Guru
 
Posts: 6511
Likes: 552 posts
Liked in: 188 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Postby cliffy1 » Jul 5th, 2013, 12:02 am

averagejoe wrote:If I remember right, you were a Christian and then took up the Pagan religion of Mother Earth. How were you at the "end of Christian bigotry"?

Besides the usual attacks about being a pagan, I lost my wife and child when my born again in-laws convinced my wife I was a minion of Satan. Being told I'm going to burn for eternity because I don't believe in their BS and just general intolerance. But losing my son was the biggest hurt. The family hid him on me for over 15 years.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 858
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 47 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest