Thursday, October 30th7.1°C
23888
23779

A saw and a man

Non-denominational discussion. Everybody welcome.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Hmmm » Feb 2nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

cliffy1 wrote:Many of the reasons given in the bible for god's violence are illogical, irrational and sometime down right psychotic. I fail to see the how people can rationalize such behaviour.
This is what I'm talking about. Please give a specific example and include at least the book its in. If you want to that is. There maybe much more to the story then you or I know.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Übergod
 
Posts: 1495
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 260 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby zzontar » Feb 2nd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Graham Adder wrote:The god of which you speak, is actually a trans gender pedophile ego maniacal child abuser.
That's my truth, and you nor any other bible thumping sheep can tell me different...nor do you have any more right to discount my belief over yours.
Neither has any fact based foundation, and both were contrived out of a perception one person had.

A saw and a man...pfft.


Imagine someone telling you the same about your beliefs in the same way you just described theirs. I think accepting that people will have different beliefs than yours without having to resort to insults would be a big step forward.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 7242
Likes: 36 posts
Liked in: 323 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby kibbs » Feb 2nd, 2013, 4:21 pm

If you personify god its easy to pose questions to him .but if you believe god is the goodness within you,not some dude in the sky but a spiritual concept it gives us all the power of god .Listen to the voice in your head that tells you to do the good thing .thats god.
A Bicycle is better than a lover because they are always ready.......to go out for a good time!
User avatar
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2943
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Oct 30th, 2012, 9:04 am

Re: A saw and a man

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Feb 2nd, 2013, 4:41 pm

kibbs wrote:If you personify god its easy to pose questions to him .but if you believe god is the goodness within you,not some dude in the sky but a spiritual concept it gives us all the power of god .Listen to the voice in your head that tells you to do the good thing .thats god.


" At the centre of the universe dwells the Great Spirit and that center is really everywhere, it is within each of us. "
Black Elk

I read this somewhere ... You are the spiritual being you've been waiting for.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6317
Likes: 186 posts
Liked in: 140 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Sneaksuit » Feb 2nd, 2013, 5:41 pm

Hmmm wrote:Please give a specific example and include at least the book its in. If you want to that is. There maybe much more to the story then you or I know.


Billions of parents genitally mutilate their babies today because the Bible and Quran said to.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
 
Posts: 458
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Hmmm » Feb 2nd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Sneaksuit wrote:
Billions of parents genitally mutilate their babies today because the Bible and Quran said to.
Where in the Bible does it say to mutilate your child again?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Übergod
 
Posts: 1495
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 260 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby grammafreddy » Feb 2nd, 2013, 5:51 pm

Graham Adder wrote:The god of which you speak, is actually a trans gender pedophile ego maniacal child abuser.
That's my truth, and you nor any other bible thumping sheep can tell me different...nor do you have any more right to discount my belief over yours.
Neither has any fact based foundation, and both were contrived out of a perception one person had.

A saw and a man...pfft.

zzontar wrote:Imagine someone telling you the same about your beliefs in the same way you just described theirs. I think accepting that people will have different beliefs than yours without having to resort to insults would be a big step forward.


I don't see any insults in what GA said. He stated his truths about this "god" of yours (the Christian god), and as he said .... "contrived out of a perception one person had". That he sees that god as "a trans gender pedophile ego maniacal child abuser" is perfectly described as far as I am concerned, too.

My belief is as good as yours is - or as GA's is, too.

Given all the churchy Christian child sexual abuse that's coming to light more and more, I find it rather unbelievable that more church followers are just picking up the edge of the rug and giving all this dirt and garbage a nudge with their boot under the carpet to ignore it or to cover it up and pretend it isn't happening or ever happened. Does that mean it is okay for church leaders to prey sexually upon the congregations' children?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
 
Posts: 28551
Likes: 2199 posts
Liked in: 776 posts
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Sneaksuit » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:03 pm

Hmmm wrote: Where in the Bible does it say to mutilate your child again?


Gen 17:10-14
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
 
Posts: 458
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Hmmm » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:04 pm

Start your own thread grumpy granny, this one has nothing at all to do with your comment. I don't like religions either but this isn't about that.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Übergod
 
Posts: 1495
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 260 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Hmmm » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Sneaksuit wrote:
Gen 17:10-14
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.


So this is found in the Bible, now what do you disagree with for the reason for it?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Übergod
 
Posts: 1495
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 260 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:10 pm

Hmmm wrote: Where in the Bible does it say to mutilate your child again?

Sneaksuit wrote:Gen 17:10-14
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.


Address this please.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Sneaksuit » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:16 pm

Hmmm wrote:So this is found in the Bible, now what do you disagree with for the reason for it?


There is no stated reason for it other than to distinguish believers from non-believers. After clarifying the purpose of cutting off a chunk of your son's penis answer why females must be silent in the church (1 Corinthians 14:34).
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
 
Posts: 458
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Hmmm » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:27 pm

Sneaksuit wrote:
There is no stated reason for it other than to distinguish believers from non-believers. After clarifying the purpose of cutting off a chunk of your son's penis answer why females must be silent in the church (1 Corinthians 14:34).
Have you ever been to a church? Are the women silent? So the answer is, you don't really know why it says it or the reasons. I'm also not hear to explain them to you. My intentions were to point out that most of the harsh critics really don't have any clue about the whys?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Hmmm
Übergod
 
Posts: 1495
Likes: 124 posts
Liked in: 260 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby Sneaksuit » Feb 2nd, 2013, 6:38 pm

Hmmm wrote: Have you ever been to a church? Are the women silent?


No. But the issue is not whether or not believers still obey some rules. If some rules are clearly outdated then shouldn't one question the validity of the entire book?

Hmmm wrote:So the answer is, you don't really know why it says it or the reasons. I'm also not hear to explain them to you. My intentions were to point out that most of the harsh critics really don't have any clue about the whys?


Not true. Theologians, anthropologists, psychologists, and philosophers of religion generally agree with what other posters have already said. That is - scripture is written for people of a particular era and culture by the people, inspired by their beliefs.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
 
Posts: 458
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: A saw and a man

Postby zzontar » Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:45 pm

grammafreddy wrote:I don't see any insults in what GA said. He stated his truths about this "god" of yours (the Christian god), and as he said .... "contrived out of a perception one person had". That he sees that god as "a trans gender pedophile ego maniacal child abuser" is perfectly described as far as I am concerned, too.



Why doesn't that surprise me? Like if someone calls you an old biased rednecked backwoods hillbilly hag, but they say it's their perception of truth, then it's not an insult, I get it now. Really Gramma, there's no insult against religion that you wouldn't relish and you're trying to judge whether it's an insult or not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 7242
Likes: 36 posts
Liked in: 323 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest