The Incoherence of Atheism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Ptolemy Soter » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:32 am

Yes, I am very familiar with Aurelius and other emperors. And I do not disagree with certain things you've said. I am just reminded of that quote whenever I hear people debating about theism and religion, and how fruitless it can be to try and prove or disprove the existence of a god or gods.

:smt045
Last edited by Ptolemy Soter on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am... the law!

averagejoe likes this post.
User avatar
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 241
Likes: 195 posts
Liked in: 140 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Location: The eternal blue sky.

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby 1nick » Nov 12th, 2017, 10:38 am

[quote="averagejoe"]
And one day soon your going to get to meet him....and you'll be changing your tune real quick! :up:[/quote]

Your fear mongering is not going to work on me Joe.
It works best on children,the abject,those that have hit their bottom.
Which one were you when all this crap was foisted upon you?

Where’s the morality in telling children they’ll burn in hell if they don’t believe what you tell them? Disgusting.

4 people like this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3444
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 683 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 11:57 am

1nick wrote:
averagejoe wrote:And one day soon your going to get to meet him....and you'll be changing your tune real quick! :up:


Your fear mongering is not going to work on me Joe. LOL


It works best on children,the abject,those that have hit their bottom.
Which one were you when all this crap was foisted upon you?

Where’s the morality in telling children they’ll burn in hell if they don’t believe what you tell them? Disgusting.


What Sunday School class do they teach this? Can you provide some text taught to children? :135:

Churches don't even teach this anymore....so don't feel so guilty! :D

Either I'm wrong or your wrong....we'll see near future! :smt045

I'd rather be on the side of the Lord.... :D

Jesus will return and he ain't going to be very nice this time! :smt045
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby 1nick » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:08 pm

[quote="averagejoe"]

Jesus will return and he ain't going to be very nice this time! :smt045[/quote]

Fear mongering.You’re doing it right now.
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3444
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 683 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:14 pm

averagejoe wrote:Jesus will return and he ain't going to be very nice this time! :smt045


1nick wrote:Fear mongering.You’re doing it right now.


Then you shouldn't have anything to be scared of then! :up:

Remember as in skeptics minds he's just an imaginary friend!!!! :130:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby 1nick » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Oh I don’t.
I just hope you don’t have children or have access to children and speak to them in that manner.Again disgusting.

youjustcomplain likes this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3444
Likes: 236 posts
Liked in: 683 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Ka-El » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:29 pm

averagejoe wrote: God's son in the Flesh... :D

Image

:135: Oh well then, we didn't know you had a picture for evidence.
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4626
Likes: 2418 posts
Liked in: 4174 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

averagejoe wrote: God's son in the Flesh... :D

Image


Ka-El wrote: :135: Oh well then, we didn't know you had a picture for evidence.


You forgot the historical text evidence also.... :D
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Ka-El » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm

averagejoe wrote: You forgot the historical text evidence also.... :D

Sorry joe. Hate to break it to you - fake news :smt045

(nothing quite as hypocritical as a Trump-loving Christian)
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.

Poindexter likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4626
Likes: 2418 posts
Liked in: 4174 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 1:27 pm

averagejoe wrote: You forgot the historical text evidence also.... :D


Ka-El wrote:Sorry joe. Hate to break it to you - fake news :smt045


Ya U.S. Congressional Library housing letter between Pontius Pilate and Tiberius Caesar describing Jesus.

Ya fake news.... [icon_lol2.gif]
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Ka-El » Nov 12th, 2017, 1:39 pm

averagejoe wrote: Ya U.S. Congressional Library housing letter between Pontius Pilate and Tiberius Caesar describing Jesus.

The same library that holds the chronicles of Paul Bunyan. Fascinating stuff. :smt045
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4626
Likes: 2418 posts
Liked in: 4174 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 2:01 pm

averagejoe wrote: Ya U.S. Congressional Library housing letter between Pontius Pilate and Tiberius Caesar describing Jesus.


Ka-El wrote:The same library that holds the chronicles of Paul Bunyan. Fascinating stuff. :smt045


Great come back.... [icon_lol2.gif]

Leftist can't not only meme, they can't even back up anything with historical evidence to support their own arguments.... [icon_lol2.gif]
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Ka-El » Nov 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm

averagejoe wrote: Leftist can't not only meme, they can't even back up anything with historical evidence to support their own arguments....

I can’t speak for any of the leftists here. I’m just too old to spend my time trying to learn how to create deliberately inaccurate and misleading posters. It is funny that you would suggest they can't even back up anything with historical evidence, when you’re trying to support your beliefs using quotes from the Bible. “I’m going to prove the Bible is an accurate accounting of the very Word of God by presenting select verse from the Bible”. Not hard to see how you were/are so easily fooled by Trump.
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.

Poindexter likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4626
Likes: 2418 posts
Liked in: 4174 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby averagejoe » Nov 12th, 2017, 2:53 pm

averagejoe wrote: Leftist can't not only meme, they can't even back up anything with historical evidence to support their own arguments....


Ka-El wrote:I can’t speak for any of the leftists here. I’m just too old to spend my time trying to learn how to create deliberately inaccurate and misleading posters. It is funny that you would suggest they can't even back up anything with historical evidence, when you’re trying to support your beliefs using quotes from the Bible. “I’m going to prove the Bible is an accurate accounting of the very Word of God by presenting select verse from the Bible”. Not hard to see how you were/are so easily fooled by Trump.


:130:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11577
Likes: 2505 posts
Liked in: 1899 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby youjustcomplain » Nov 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

averagejoe wrote:What Sunday School class do they teach this? Can you provide some text taught to children? :135:

Churches don't even teach this anymore....so don't feel so guilty! :D

Either I'm wrong or your wrong....we'll see near future! :smt045

I'd rather be on the side of the Lord.... :D

Jesus will return and he ain't going to be very nice this time! :smt045


What Sunday School class teaches this? Is it the responsibility of atheists to tell you what people of your faith say and do to children? Nope. We observe it, and realize it's not for us, or anyone we love.

What do you THINK parents tell their kids when they're explaining heaven and god? Kids ask things like, "what happens if I don't go to heaven?". Guess what, it's an uncomfortable answer for many, and maybe more matter of faith for the rest, but the answer is always going to be the same. "Well, Johnny, bad people go to hell." Guess what the take away is for something like that? Kid becomes afraid of hell and will do anything to avoid the place. It's nothing but manipulation or a cheap bribe.

Either you're wrong or the atheists of the world are? It's not binary. You and the rest of us may all be wrong. Maybe you're right, maybe atheists are right, (not that all atheists believe the same things). If you're right though, all of the atheists of the world will be fine and most of us are good people. If my idea of death is what happens, then no, you won't find out; you'll be dead. It won't matter what you'd rather, or what seems easier to explain.

You roll the dice that you're on the side of the lord. What have you got to lose right? If you're right, you win, if you're wrong, you don't lose right? What if you've picked the wrong Lord to worship? If there is a Lord, perhaps he/she is petty, vindictive and jealous and will strike down anyone who doesn't worship him. Maybe you've got it all wrong. My point is to not act so smug that you've picked the winning team. There are thousands, if not more, options that are all equally as viable. You rolled the dice on one; chances are, you're wrong.

my5cents likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 697
Likes: 186 posts
Liked in: 421 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest