Do you believe your religion is the one true religion?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Able
Fledgling

Do you believe your religion is the one true religion?

Post by Able »

I ask this because there are so many religions in existence and they all believe that they are the one true faith so how do you decide which one is correct. Some of the most dominant faiths have committed the most heinous crimes ever recorded. Christianity had its crusades and its inquisitions that tortured and killed untold numbers of people, muslims had and still have their jihads and fatwas which even today wreak violence on non believers. People of the jewish faith as far as I know have never been the agressor in an attempt to convert others to their faith. They most certainly have been aggressive in Palestine and continue to be so but not in an effort to convert. They would say their aggresion is necessary to secure their safety and protect their country and citizens. The buhdists seem particularly benign in the practice of their religion, I have no knowledge of them ever having forced, coherst , threatened or acted in any aggresive manner to impose their faith on others {please correct me if I am wrong}.In Melanisea the populace worshipped airplanes because they brought mana from the skies during the war. For some reason this is called a "cargo cult" though the difference between a cult and a religion is to my mind no more than semantics.

There have been many religions spawned over the centuries, some flourished and many disappeared or were actively rooted out and destroyed by more powerful institutions. You see it even today in Egypt with the coptic christians suffering under muslim persecution.

So the question is....why do you believe your religion is the one true faith?
Last edited by Able on Apr 21st, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Do you believe your religion is the one true religion?

Post by Poindexter »

Yes, Atheism is the one 'true' religion.

5c55dcb71a3e698a4da5b94684febfc9.gif
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
HappyHobo

Post by HappyHobo »

And according to Paul......What is the greatest sin ?
I believe its " Religious Pride ..meaning... your religion is the only true religion recognized by God.
Last edited by HappyHobo on Apr 22nd, 2018, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

HappyHobo wrote:And according to Paul......What is the greatest sin ?

I believe it was hatred of god.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

It's a sin you say? Look, if they had no problem selling you something created to love, do you think they'd have any problem selling you something created to fear?
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Poindexter wrote:It's a sin you say? Look, if they had no problem selling you something created to love, do you think they'd have any problem selling you something created to fear?

One of religions greatest tools is to instill fear. The fear of the wrath of god is a thread running through almost all religions.
apparently it works.
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

HappyHobo wrote:And according to Paul......What is the greatest sin ?

Do you have a point to make somewhere?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:One of religions greatest tools is to instill fear. The fear of the wrath of god is a thread running through almost all religions.
apparently it works.

I agree, using FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) to sell has aways been one of the best methods of marketing your product.

To me however it's a huge red flag when a business has a marketing strategy that uses threats of eternal damnation as a loyalty component, and the promise of heaven as the rewards program. In my opinion that's a pretty devious way to sell your product and keep the customer coming back.
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Poindexter wrote:
Bull Goose Looney wrote:One of religions greatest tools is to instill fear. The fear of the wrath of god is a thread running through almost all religions.
apparently it works.

I agree, using FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) to sell has aways been one of the best methods of marketing your product.

To me however it's a huge red flag when a business has a marketing strategy that uses threats of eternal damnation as a loyalty component, and the promise of heaven as the rewards program. In my opinion that's a pretty devious way to sell your product and keep the customer coming back.

They use whatever is effective at the time matched to the conditions at that time. War, famine, apocalyptic events, are all grist for the mill. Fear, redemption, gods wrath, gods love, salvation, everlasting life, everlasting hell, purgatory, temptation , lust, envy, all the seven big ones and more are arrows in their quiver and they are not shy about using whichever one suits the conditions at the time.

Most organized religions are nothing more than organized crime syndicates but its hard to bring them down. If you took out any reference to religion and presented the facts about their activities to a prosecutor ie. money laundering, intimidation, graft, coercion, fraud, protection rackets, etc. etc. etc. he would think he was dealing with the mob and would prosecute them {in the U.S.A.} under the R.I.C.O. act which was enacted to combat La Cosa Nostra. All that and various other crimes such as pedophilia, harbouring or abetting the escape of criminals {catholic priests in Boston in this case}, and more are indications that most organized religions are like dead fish...they rot from the head down.
See23

Post by See23 »

The weakest link in all religion is mankind, the most fallible creature on earth.

If you really want an answer to your question, look past the actions of mankind and study the fundamental teachings of the faiths.
Which one or more make the most sense to you?
Maybe they’re all a little right.?

IMO... In the end, what matters most, is how you lived and how you loved.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Prove that Tinkerbell is not the creator?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:I ask this because there are so many religions in existence and they all believe that they are the one true faith so how do you decide which one is correct.

Is that your question? Sounds disingenuous and hostile. If you actually wanted an answer from someone of faith, you'd have worded it differently. So why even ask this?
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Bull Goose Looney wrote:I ask this because there are so many religions in existence and they all believe that they are the one true faith so how do you decide which one is correct.

Is that your question? Sounds disingenuous and hostile. If you actually wanted an answer from someone of faith, you'd have worded it differently. So why even ask this?

Please point out where it is either disingenuous or hostile. It is a simple question. Its intent is to start discussion.

How would you have worded it?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Please point out where it is either disingenuous or hostile. It is a simple question. Its intent is to start discussion.

How would you have worded it?

Well, it's how it comes across to me.
You ask why people feel their faith is the one true faith. Then you go on to highlight some of the awful parts of each of the larger faith systems, (religions).
If you had highlighted the good deeds done in the name of those religions, you might have had more success with your question. Instead you asked:

So why do you think Christianity is true? Christians murdered people. So why do you think Islam is the one true faith? Muslims are horrible too !

You ask a question, then set up all the reasons for people to be defensive. But I think you'll find that people of faith, really have little interest in defending it to people who just want to argue.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Christianity is very but as true as Zoroastrianism, or Hinduism. Zeus and Prometheus every bit as real to me as the holy trinity. My religion is that all religions are exactly that, religions. They are curiosities, fun common interests to share with people, or to argue and slaughter people over. In the grand scheme of things though, they are just mythology, and will never supplant actual factual knowledge. Even if for some people myth is a makeshift substitute for actual understanding.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”