Doctrine from the Book of Mormon

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

Papa Bear wrote:I recently had two people from the 7th day adventist church come by to hand out some literature. I asked if they considered themselves mormons or christains and they said both. How is that possible?

This seems strange to me as I have never met a 7th Day Adventist who would say that he considers himself to be a Mormon. It would be like meeting a Southern Baptist who says he considers himself to be a Roman Catholic. 2 very different docterines. Weird......

Papa Bear wrote:In the book of revelation it states:

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book; 19if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

I mean no disrespect, but by adding the book of Mormon haven't you (and not your personally) gone against God's word?

So how can a Mormon call themselves a Christain?

I will take a stab at this. I am an Evangelical Christian (not Mormon) but most of my Dad's side of the family is Mormon. I think it depends on how you define Christian. If you take the most simplistic approach a Christian is any one who as accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. As all of my cousins a who are Mormon have told me that they do accept Christ they seem to fall into that definition.

I will not pretend I understand or agree with Mormon docterine but if they accept Christ isn't that the key to being a Christian?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Perhaps the 7 th day adventists thought you meant "are you 7th day adventists or Christians?" Wouldn't be both 7th day adventists and Mormons... Both are sects of Christianity however.

As to the revelations passage, it helps to understand what the historical setting is behind the writing of revelations.. first, revelations was not the last book written in the bible chronologically.... It was placed last when the bible was formed, but was not the last chronologically. So if that passage was meant to pertain to the bible as a whole, a good 1/3 of the New Testament would be under condemnation.

Paul was speaking of the book of revelations specifically and the LDS church has done nothing to change that.
In Amos there is a scripture that states "God will do nothing except he reveal unto his servants the Prophets". The claim of the Book of Mormon is that Jesus appeared to the people on the American continent after his ressurection and the book of Mormon goes hand in hand doctrinally with the bible as an additional witness to the Saviour, Jesus Christ. Nothing had been added or taken away from God's word in doing so.

Read the BoM if you haven't and see what you think.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”