Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Trainer Mick
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Trainer Mick »

A turban instead of a helmet is an instant bandage.

I see no problem.
Looking for more than the illusion.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

tikbor wrote:I don't hate anyone, save maybe for KKK, Nazis, and that sort of scum. I do resent having to make exceptions to rules (like helmuts for cyclists) because of a turban (actually, I don't resent the turban - power to you, Canada is a far more-interesting place for it's mix of cultures) - BUT - don't ask me to pay your medical or maintenance bills if you get badly hurt (anymore than a woman who wrote into the editor that her hair is 'too big' for a helmut and she can't wear one [give me a flippin' break!!!]) I'm not too keen on swords worn in schools or even in public, at least not sharp ones - for safety reasons (heat of the moment, stupidity, that sort of thing).

I do resent losing my heritage - that Canada was built on - and having to refrain from saying Merry Christmas as a general rule - that's just not fair; if I lived in another country I would respect thier general culture and customs - why do we water down ours??? Canada is losing itself to political correctness...just ask any 'differently abled' person (insert sarcasm here) who used to be disabled, before that handicapped, before that crippled, etc. etc. etc...

Kinda like mentally handicapped used to be called *bleep*?? Canada should go back to the Natives who were here originally is that what you are saying? Because with your mentality that is what you are saying. Canada is made of many cultures and the turbans are your biggest problem? Without turban power you probably wouldn't get half your merchandise shipped to you. They are the power of the road. They load up 4 people in a truck and haul stuff cheap. They pee in a hole in the bottom of the rig to save time that is how efficient they are!!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:
Featherbrain wrote:Ours was the meatless feast. So we had Salmon. And Sauerkraut Rolls, Creamed mushrooms, borscht, nachinka (sp) and lots more...

The meatless Feast is Christmas Eve, January 6th.
Christmas Day, Jan 7th you can eat anything!

I know...LOL That is my birthday so it has extra meaning and I always had the most fantastic meals...woohoo!!!!!! :12077:
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Why does this thread show that it only has 2 comments???
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

BoB76 wrote:Why does this thread show that it only has 2 comments???

you broke something. :1422:

:lol:

Letter to the Editor "Thank you Castanet"
[ Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ] Replies 48
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
dudlee
Übergod

Re: Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Post by dudlee »

Teaps wrote:I would like someone to PLEASE show me in the bible, where it says Jesus Christ was Born on December 25th. I would like someone to show me in the bible, where it states that Jesus Christ was even born in the Winter? It says in Luke 2:8;

"There were also in that same country shepherds living out of doors and keeping watches in the night over their flocks."

It is well known that Isreali winters are very cold and during a December it can be anywhere between 3* and -10*. The shepherds would NOT be living outside with their sheep in December.

I would like someone to come up with a scripture to Prove to me that Jesus Christ was born on December 25th.

In actual fact many religion experts believe that Jesus wa born around the end of September.

The real problem hear is the difference between the types of calenders used in the early years, Hope it helps
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

I can't believe noone has brought up the fact that Christmas shares the same date with the Pagan holiday, Winter Solstice.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Pre-Christian_origins]In part, the Christmas celebration was created by the early Church in order to entice pagan Romans to convert to Christianity without losing their own winter celebrations.

Certain prominent gods and goddesses of other religions in the region had their birthdays celebrated on December 25, including Ishtar, Sol Invictus and Mithras
[/url]

This year, I hated Christmas. It seemed fake to me, both from a religious standpoint, to a secular one, with everyone about acting like complete *bleep* to each other. Shop, shop, shop... Spend, spend, spend.

For some of us more 'spiritual', non-denomination types, it might be better for us to simply leave the country and go visit Tibet or something, and truly celebrate God, away from all the advertising BS.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

Scynite wrote:I can't believe noone has brought up the fact that Christmas shares the same date with the Pagan holiday, Winter Solstice.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Pre-Christian_origins]In part, the Christmas celebration was created by the early Church in order to entice pagan Romans to convert to Christianity without losing their own winter celebrations.

Certain prominent gods and goddesses of other religions in the region had their birthdays celebrated on December 25, including Ishtar, Sol Invictus and Mithras
[/url]

This year, I hated Christmas. It seemed fake to me, both from a religious standpoint, to a secular one, with everyone about acting like complete *bleep* to each other. Shop, shop, shop... Spend, spend, spend.

For some of us more 'spiritual', non-denomination types, it might be better for us to simply leave the country and go visit Tibet or something, and truly celebrate God, away from all the advertising BS.

Actually the fact the Christmas is held at the same time as the winter solstice was mentioned earlier in the tread... ferri's link I think.

Few points... If the nativity account in the Bible is considered to be accurate the birth of Christ was probably in spring (lambs mentioned in there somewhere).

Many biblical scholars feel that the nativity account is not historical as there is evidence that it was added later in order to ensure that Christ met with some interpretations of old testament prophecy. Some well intentioned addtion made later in order to ensure everyone recognized Jesus as Savior.

There earliest written parts of the New Testament were actually Paul's letters and an argument has been made that they are the most acurate measure of the Historical Christ. No mention is made by Paul of a birth in Bethleham or a Virgin Birth.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Letter to the Editor "Thank you, Castanet"

Post by FreeRights »

Whose this "Jesus" character I keep hearing about?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”