Zeitgeist!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Re: Zeitgeist!

Post by dirtrider »

bdbnkr wrote:
tawnylee wrote:While I don't follow religion, I think Zeitgeist played on some great points about Christianity and where it came from. I have another thread going on about Zeitgeist in Arts and Entertainment, and wrote about how I think religious people just use religion as their be all end all and don't put enough "faith" in themselves. It's one thing to believe in something if you have proof that it exsists and can actually help you in life, but another to throw all your hope and dreams into the "heavens" hoping that "He" does all the work for you. Saying that, do any Christians here feel differently about their religion after seeing Zeitgeist, or do you think that the "devil" made that movie to test your faith?

I think it was definately put together by some one who confuses the traditions of Christianity with with the actual core of the Christian faith. Films like this really rock the faith of many Christians, but that is not all bad....................I found it a combination of mildly amusing and midly insulting. Amusing because the producer had spent more time stuying the religions that he compared to Christianity than he did studing Christianity itself. He so badly wanted to disprove Christianity that he missed the point of what it is really all about. Insulting because he paints Christians as poor misguided fools. It is intersting that he thinks that he is the only one capable of using his brain. There are Chistians out there who are far more intelligent, educated and balanced than he is.

I believe that's exactly the reaction he was hoping for in this film.
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

Which one?
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

bdbnkr wrote:...It is common knowledge that early Christians adopted many non Christian traditions in order to make their faith more appealing to others...
I do not think many modern Christians realize the extent that early Christians went to make their faiths appealing to others...
It is very possible (and we will probably never know for sure) that these things were added by later authors in order to make Christ appeal to more people....

Take a few ramblings over fairly lengthly stretch of time, translate them, blend in a few white lies or twists to make it appealing, add a touch of hell fury to put some fear into the people, stir in some love and warm fuzzies and how can anyone say no?

If the story isn't working, just tweak it?
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:
bdbnkr wrote:...It is common knowledge that early Christians adopted many non Christian traditions in order to make their faith more appealing to others...
I do not think many modern Christians realize the extent that early Christians went to make their faiths appealing to others...
It is very possible (and we will probably never know for sure) that these things were added by later authors in order to make Christ appeal to more people....

Take a few ramblings over fairly lengthly stretch of time, translate them, blend in a few white lies or twists to make it appealing, add a touch of hell fury to put some fear into the people, stir in some love and warm fuzzies and how can anyone say no?

If the story isn't working, just tweak it?

You have to remember all of the tweakings were done by people who just wanted to make the beneftits of Christianity available to more people. The story as Paul told it did work... if it was tweaked(and again we will never know for sure) it was in a misguided attempt to improve it. Unfortunatley it has added a whole bunch os unecessary bagage to the Christian message. What was once considered a benefit now causes people to view the whole thing as a fairy tale. If you want to believe that the Bible is the 100% factual history of the faith that is your choice. Expecting others to believe the same thing inorder to be eligible for Grace is unrealistic. It contradicts the core message of Christianity.... justification by faith in Christ Jesus.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”