Dispelling the Myths

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Dispelling the Myths

Post by Big ned »

Here is a great video produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints that answers some of the long held misconceptions that people have about the LDS church. aka the Mormons.

http://www.ldsmag.com/churchupdate/080109video.html
tikbor
Fledgling

Post by tikbor »

Interesting, Big Ned - I don't really have too many issues with Mormons (had some good friends as a child who always included me in their very fun special event nights, as well as a brother who attended a Mormon church for a while). My brother said that you can go into a Mormon Church on a Sunday anywhere in the world and they will be teaching the same service in every church. Is that true? I just have to wonder (respectfully!!!) because I know that in my church (WPC) the pastor often addresses current events and issues of the day or area in a sermon and I wonder if that 'personalization' wouldn't be lost sometimes when a lesson is right across the board??? I know sometimes our pastors talk of scrambling on occasion to have a service ready that addresses ??? but God always comes through and something significant will happen that gets the service ready on time (we're never left dry on a Sunday!!!)

Just wondering. I know the Mormon's do unbelievable missions work and I admire that, especially as I grow in my walk and understand Missions more & more.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Good question Tikbor. We actually meet for three hours on Sunday. The Sunday school portion and third hour are what your friend was talking about. Those two classes have manuals and are intended for learning doctrine of the church.

The first hour of our meetings is called sacrament meeting. In this meeting, members of the congregation are assigned to speak on a topic under the direction of the congregation leader. Ususally one youth (12-18) speak and two adults (male or female). This is where topics will vary depending on what needs to be addressed. Depending on the size of the congregation, you may get a speaking assignment once or twice a year (but only if you are comfortable with it).

There is no paid clergy in our church, so it is run a little differently than most.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”