Religious sub-forums

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Are you in favour of sub-forums under the main Religion forum?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

zzontar wrote:I think Jo had some good ideas, set the rules to begin with, or state you want a thread where people can discuss their faith or beliefs... seeing as atheists don't have a faith or belief, that would rule them out of that particular thread and they could still voice their opinions on other threads.

And there we go, proving my point about lumping those that don't agree into one category...because someone doesn't believe in a god, they are void from any discussion on "beliefs" in general? I don't believe in a god, yet I have my own set of beliefs. Why would I not be able (or allowed) to participate in that discussion?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

warden should have ignored my post too. then i wouldn't have a headache. :(

ignoring does work.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

zzontar wrote:Maybe ignoring is the way to go, it's just a bit hard to do when you have posts like soulra's last one in the creation thread that jump out at you, but hey, maybe it's worth a try!

Did the "He started it!!" excuse work with your ma when you clocked the neighborhood kid after he called you names? :127:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

warden wrote:
zzontar wrote:I think Jo had some good ideas, set the rules to begin with, or state you want a thread where people can discuss their faith or beliefs... seeing as atheists don't have a faith or belief, that would rule them out of that particular thread and they could still voice their opinions on other threads.

And there we go, proving my point about lumping those that don't agree into one category...because someone doesn't believe in a god, they are void from any discussion on "beliefs" in general? I don't believe in a god, yet I have my own set of beliefs. Why would I not be able (or allowed) to participate in that discussion?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but every thread turns into the same debate on atheists vs. theists, leaving little room for actually discussing the topic... I haven't seen a thread where anyone could state their beliefs without cerealkiller ridiculing them, if you find any, feel free to post them.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

warden wrote:
zzontar wrote:Maybe ignoring is the way to go, it's just a bit hard to do when you have posts like soulra's last one in the creation thread that jump out at you, but hey, maybe it's worth a try!

Did the "He started it!!" excuse work with your ma when you clocked the neighborhood kid after he called you names? :127:

I just stated that his big idiotbox cartoon was hard to ignore, and it's also very demeaning... if you disagree that's your choice.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Interesting topic.

I don't think subtopics is the way to go. For one thing, everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and pretty soon the Kelowna forum will have subforums for Rutland, The Mission, Glenmore...

Is this really about having different places for people with different beliefs to post their thoughts or is this actually about cerealkiller and atheism?

Looked at a different way, if cerealkiller and the atheists suddenly stopped posting, would this thread exist and would the call for subtopics exist?

I'm thinking not.

Perhaps deep, down inside, there are people on this forum who believe atheists have no place in a religious discussion. I think it's something to think about.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

writerdave wrote:Interesting topic.

I don't think subtopics is the way to go. For one thing, everyone else will jump on the bandwagon and pretty soon the Kelowna forum will have subforums for Rutland, The Mission, Glenmore...It's already divided up. 'The Westside, Vernon, Penticton', etc.

Is this really about having different places for people with different beliefs to post their thoughts or is this actually about cerealkiller and atheism?It's about people of different faiths having their own sub-forum that focus's on their specific faith. I may have a question about a Jewish doctrine or practice, I may want to consult someone about a Pagan issue, etc. I simply think it would be much more efficient to have sub-forums. Yes, one can start a thread on their thought, question or issue they want discussed, but they soon get lost and difficult to find and are forgotten.

Looked at a different way, if cerealkiller and the atheists suddenly stopped posting, would this thread exist and would the call for subtopics exist?

I'm thinking not.Why, yes it would

Perhaps deep, down inside, there are people on this forum who believe atheists have no place in a religious discussion. I think it's something to think about.I would disagree. Athiests, Agnostics and everyone else is welcome in a discussion, that is part of the freedoms we Canadians enjoy. I simply dont like the manner in which a couple of them conduct themselves and are simply bent on countre attacking every single post made by those of faith. It simply gets incredibly tiresome.

Thanks for the input wd. I'll repeat what I posted a couple pages back. This was my main reasoning behind wanting sub-forums.
I guess what I like about sub-forums is the fact that if I want to learn something about another faith, have questions etc. I can just choose the specific forum. The way it's set up now you have to search for threads, and most times they are long forgotten. Having sub-forums would keep everything separated, in persective and fresh.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Thanks for you reply, coffee. Clears things up. :124:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You're most welcome wd, and ty for asking some pertinent questions.

~D
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

zzontar wrote:
warden wrote:

Maybe you haven't noticed, but every thread turns into the same debate on atheists vs. theists, leaving little room for actually discussing the topic... I haven't seen a thread where anyone could state their beliefs without cerealkiller ridiculing them, if you find any, feel free to post them.

Ummm....my question had nothing to do with cerealkiller. :-k

To put it another way, why are my set of beliefs not open to your discussion simply because I don't believe in a god? Why would I not be allowed to participate in your discussion on beliefs? I don't believe I have ever 'turned' a discussion into a 'theists vs. atheists' debate. :?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Warden, I think what it boils down to is opinions on beliefs are welcome, but belittling others' beliefs are not, I think that's why CC started this thread to begin with. I stated earlier that I don't mind the atheist viewpoint at all, but not when it's in a demeaning manner, so post away.
cerealkiller
Übergod

Post by cerealkiller »

Athiests, Agnostics and everyone else is welcome in a discussion, that is part of the freedoms we Canadians enjoy. I simply dont like the manner in which a couple of them conduct themselves and are simply bent on countre attacking every single post made by those of faith. It simply gets incredibly tiresome

That is called a discussion. Point and counterpoint. If you want complete agreement, please look for it in church or a club. This is an open forum.
If you have the time please go back a year or two and see what kind of abuse some of us Rationalists had to endure. There was no ridiculing and no insults from us. Plain and logical questions asked were answered with vile insults. Some of us faught back, most stayed away. What you are seeing here, goes wayyy back. I just kept posting and fire back with the same fervor.
This thread was an exchange of religious information and support for each other. Great, but that is not a debate! That's a coffee club. When we started posting our honest opinion here, it was like poking a stick into a wasp's nest. The furor, the denial, the insults were stunning! I felt like being moved back a few hundred years, waiting for a knock on my door to be taken away to a torture chamber or the stake.
The vast majority of my posts with questions were from religious web sites like bible.com or lds.org. Plain quotes, nothing added, nothing omitted. Instantly I was accused of spreading hatred! Can someone explain to me how this is possible?
Faithfuls want agreement, not challenge. They don't want questions, they want support. ANYTHING that is written here and is not 100% in line with the faithfuls is automatically insult and attack. Imagine for a second the primary debates right now in the US. If any inconvenient question is an attack and needs to be muted, if any negative point is omitted, what debate is left? In politics one can call names, slander, insult, no problem, it's part of it. But when it comes to faith, no debate is possible because you just can't write facts or quote from religious sources!
Atheism is as much part of religion as spirits and angels. If you can accept that, you can answer questions or challenges with an open mind and rational replies. Or you can ignore us or wish to separate us from the religion forum, but you (all) can't shut us up!
:124:
I don't try to imagine a personal God; it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world, insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it.
A.Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

zzontar wrote:Warden, I think what it boils down to is opinions on beliefs are welcome, but belittling others' beliefs are not, I think that's why CC started this thread to begin with.

No, I started this thread because I think sub-forums in the religion forum would be more efficient.

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

cerealkiller wrote:Or you can ignore us

~D :124:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
zzontar wrote:Warden, I think what it boils down to is opinions on beliefs are welcome, but belittling others' beliefs are not, I think that's why CC started this thread to begin with.

No, I started this thread because I think sub-forums in the religion forum would be more efficient.

~D

My apologies, I was thinking the idea was not to have the threads constantly derailed.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”