The Secret

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

The Secret

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

A religious friend once commented about the movie "The Secret" saying that she didn't believe in The Secret because it suggested that you have control of your destiny and her destiny was in God's hands. I thought that strange at the time, and yet I've seen a number of posts recently to that effect. Do you control your destiny or is it in God's hands?

In The Secret there is a point where it talks about your health. It says that you can think and feel yourself healed, and you will be healed. A few weeks ago, the stomach flu was going around our house... everyone was barfing every 20 minutes for about 4-6 hours. I was the last one to get it. I had just finished listening to The Secret. I had felt nauseous and barfed. Then I imagined myself getting better - really concentrated on being and feeling well. And I didn't barf again. Strange coincidence?

I enjoyed everything about The Secret, except for their detailed description of the vibration of energies and attracting what you wished for and changing the frequency of the object's vibrations.

Many people have had amazing stories of success with their health, relationships, happiness or wealth because of The Secret. Much of this could just be about positive thinking. Similar stories of amazing changes because of religion are no different.

I just don't think religion is the answer. If it wasn't for the philosophers and science we would still be living in caves and worshiping ancient mythical gods. I feel religions hold us back from discovering the real answers.
Last edited by Amor vincit omnia on Feb 27th, 2008, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: The Secret

Post by AlanH »

Just replace "The Secret" with "God". Plenty of testimonials from the religious folks as well.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

I have to take exception to the way in which "science" and "religion" are always brought up as mutually exclusive things. Some of the greatest scientific minds of today are in fact very religious.

True religion seeks after truth as does true science.

You could reverse it and say... not all science is used for good, so why don't we get rid of science because it causes a lot of pain in the world. It would be ridiculous at best to make such a statement. I feel it is just as ridiculous to paint all religion as "holding science back"

Just my opinion.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Big ned wrote:I have to take exception to the way in which "science" and "religion" are always brought up as mutually exclusive things. Some of the greatest scientific minds of today are in fact very religious.

You could reverse it and say... not all science is used for good, so why don't we get rid of science because it causes a lot of pain in the world. It would be ridiculous at best to make such a statement. I feel it is just as ridiculous to paint all religion as "holding science back"

Just my opinion.

I agree fully. Except I would have said, true religion should seek after truth, saying it seeks after truth implies that it does. Going by the core principals of "Most" religions, it is clear that one is tasked to seek the truth, how some religions interpret it garners different results.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

When my Mom was in palative care (cancer) I know for a fact that she thought good thoughts.....It didn't make the cancer go away.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Pop Secret

Post by eyepop »

Amor vincit omnia wrote:A religious friend once commented .... destiny was in God's hands. .. I've seen a number of posts recently to that effect. If it wasn't for the philosophers and science we would still be living in caves and worshiping ancient mythical gods. .

huh? :-s

what does philosophy and science have to do

with the houses and condos...

where we live....

worshiping ancient mythical gods??

re destiny in God's hands.

so it's possible that my God-divined destiny...

is not to believe in God?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I am currently reading The Secret. I am a big believer in positive thinking, karma etc, it's all intertwined as far as I'm concerned. As a faith believer, I accept that what is in The Secret can go hand in hand with being a Christian, or other religions. We absolutely do have an energy within us and it's not a stretch for me to think that if I visualize happiness, partake in happy things and smile, that I will be happy and attract happiness. Same with negativity. I have had an incredible amount of negativity in my life and I am now becoming aware of how damaging it has been and I'm trying very hard to change that.

Do I believe God has a master plan for my life? Sure I do, but I also know that I have free will. It's that free will that either gets us in trouble or allows God to continue to work in our lives. It's like a person looking for a job. Now, suppose it's a Christian, and this person is sitting around all day, praying earnestly for a great job. It's highly unlikely that wonderful job will walk up the front steps, ring the door bell and announce itself. Instead, this person needs to be handing out resumes, talking to people and then God can direct the wonderful job to this person. God helps those who help themselves.

As far as healing. I believe that when we are called home, there will be no stopping it. Are there times that God works miracles, yes of course. Not all the time and not for everyone. Why? Often we wont know why for a long time to come. Now, can visualization help make a headache go away or sickness to come? Sure can. I know as I used to literally think myself sick when I was a kid, to miss school. The more I thought about being sick, saying out loud how sick I was, bam, I was really sick.

I'm only half finished this book. I read it every night before going to sleep. I drift off with very positive thoughts and I honestly have a better nights sleep. I'll get back to you when I finish it.

~D :banana:
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

AlanH wrote:
Big ned wrote:I have to take exception to the way in which "science" and "religion" are always brought up as mutually exclusive things. Some of the greatest scientific minds of today are in fact very religious.

Just my opinion.

I agree fully. Except I would have said, true religion should seek after truth, saying it seeks after truth implies that it does. Going by the core principals of "Most" religions, it is clear that one is tasked to seek the truth, how some religions interpret it garners different results.

This is absolutely true. Many religions interpret the bible based on how their pastor or some council intepreted it for them. It is then intepreted as truth for them by someone other than God. This seems to eliminate the avenue of personal revelation that would be the avenue that God could reveal truth through. Also, Christ taught that "by their fruits ye shall know them". If a religion is involved in bad things ... ranging from terrorism on the extreme, to bad mouthing other religions and their beliefs, you might want to take a second look.

I've read some really nasty things posted by a group of southern baptists about my own religion that really shocked me. It had to do with the presidential race and Mitt Romney. WOW talk about un- Christlike. Although I do believe that group that protests outside of military funerals etc. is also a radical part of the southern baptist movement.... so really there should be no surprizes there.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

science questions what is (considered) true..

religion tells you what is true.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

And God is the author of all truth.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

...as is truly believed by big ned.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Big ned wrote:And God is the author of all truth.

God is the author of your truth.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

If you don't believe in God, you obviously wouldn't agree with that statement. If you believe in a creator, you would have to admitt that it is the case.

Science doesn't produce truth... It produces reproducable results under certain conditions. That is very handy because it allows us to progress in the sphere that we live in, but it can't be called truth. My point is simply that if there is a creator (and I understand many of you don't believe there is) If He were able to create the world, universe etc He would have to have enough knowledge to do so. Therefore, He would be the author of all truth.

Now if there is no belief system that you hold that includes a higher power, fine.

Truth is truth... there is no "according to this or that" It is an absolute. I don't claim to have a corner on it... But if you believe in God, He is the author of it. No need to mock.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I watched the movie about it last year and all I can say is

GARBAGE.

All of you are fools!!! Incompetent FOOLS for soaking this crap in!

I do believe thinking positive is better than Thinking negative.

Its a masterful way of swindling money out of people around the world.

When the author is a fiction writer and had some dabblings and wrote Commercials in Australia...you have to wonder. Wonder on what commercials do...sell you stuff. Make you think all good things to buy the product. Same with this book.**
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Samsonite wrote:I watched the movie about it last year and all I can say is

GARBAGE.

All of you are fools!!! Incompetent FOOLS for soaking this crap in!

I do believe thinking positive is better than Thinking negative.

Its a masterful way of swindling money out of people around the world.

When the author is a fiction writer and had some dabblings and wrote Commercials in Australia...you have to wonder. Wonder on what commercials do...sell you stuff. Make you think all good things to buy the product. Same with this book.**

i thought all you could say was 'GARBAGE'?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”