Non believers

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Non believers

Post by sooperphreek »

Saxon wrote:
I see no preconditions that lead me to believe this forum is only for believers. Even if it was, it is apparent that the brands of belief are wide ranging of those who post in here.

Well of course the forum is not just for believers I never said it was, I was just interested as to why some enter threads titled in such a way it's obvious the discussion is clearly religious... do you enter there with one purpose in mind? or with a genuine interest in the topic?

Saxon, you clearly adhere to one brand of Christianity. Why do you come here when clearly there are other types of Christians present?

I don't see differing 'brands' of Christianity... more branches of the same tree... If I adhere to anything I try to adhere to God, I have worshipped him in Anglican churches, Catholic churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, evangelical churches, Messianic Churches, and many more

could it be that this high lighted quote is the crux of the problem? are you "saxon" looking for one point of view or purpose in your threads? is your belief system so sanitized that you are threatened by contrary points of view? are you so shut off from the rest of the world that you have no idea that there are other viewpoints? why not take the high road like all other religious people and take the blessings of persecution in stride as your reward in heaven?
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

sooperphreek wrote:
Saxon wrote:
I see no preconditions that lead me to believe this forum is only for believers. Even if it was, it is apparent that the brands of belief are wide ranging of those who post in here.

Well of course the forum is not just for believers I never said it was, I was just interested as to why some enter threads titled in such a way it's obvious the discussion is clearly religious... do you enter there with one purpose in mind? or with a genuine interest in the topic?

Saxon, you clearly adhere to one brand of Christianity. Why do you come here when clearly there are other types of Christians present?

I don't see differing 'brands' of Christianity... more branches of the same tree... If I adhere to anything I try to adhere to God, I have worshipped him in Anglican churches, Catholic churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, evangelical churches, Messianic Churches, and many more

could it be that this high lighted quote is the crux of the problem? are you "saxon" looking for one point of view or purpose in your threads? is your belief system so sanitized that you are threatened by contrary points of view? are you so shut off from the rest of the world that you have no idea that there are other viewpoints? why not take the high road like all other religious people and take the blessings of persecution in stride as your reward in heaven?

Oh I can and do take it in my stride... I am just interested in the whys and wherefores of how a supposed non believer ends up arguing in a religion topic and will enter a thread titled 'God'... I know there is an 'interest' there but what is that interest? in what capacity because all too often that so called interest lies in disproving and discounting the beliefs of others... is it purely oh there's a topic....'God'..... lets go in there and pick out every point that makes that believer what he is and nitpick everyone of them? because that's how it seems all too often....Differing viewpoints are good you say? ...I agree!...but when one constantly enters that arena with one intention in mind and that is to discredit and disprove and generally make rubbish of the views of the other party.....well what kind of interest is that?.... As for my reward in Heaven? I know not if I will get one...I don't love God for a reward I love God because he is worthy of my love and my faith
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Saxon wrote:
sooperphreek wrote:
Saxon wrote:

Oh I can and do take it in my stride... I am just interested in the whys and wherefores of how a supposed non believer ends up arguing in a religion topic and will enter a thread titled 'God'... I know there is an 'interest' there but what is that interest? in what capacity because all too often that so called interest lies in disproving and discounting the beliefs of others... is it purely oh there's a topic....'God'..... lets go in there and pick out every point that makes that believer what he is and nitpick everyone of them? because that's how it seems all too often....Differing viewpoints are good you say? ...I agree!...but when one constantly enters that arena with one intention in mind and that is to discredit and disprove and generally make rubbish of the views of the other party.....well what kind of interest is that?.... As for my reward in Heaven? I know not if I will get one...I don't love God for a reward I love God because he is worthy of my love and my faith

Oh come on Saxon, IMO, I don't think you can take it in stride. The reason you started this thread was because you were being pressed hard by writer and myself in the livestock II thread. You essentially got reduced to trying to quote scriptures (which I might add took you 1 day to find).
So that's why you wanted to know why a "non-believer" would dare to come into a religion and philosphy board. What is a defination of a non-believer anyway, are they everyone that doesn't believe in a Christian God?....or any god.....how about those religions without a god?....agnostics...or how about people that are truly honest with themselves and say " I don't know" what's out there.

If you want a thread where all Christians go and pat yourselves on the back, just post it in the title as such and I'm sure the "non-believers" will respect your wishes (I can only speak for myself, tho'). Last time I looked this is a public forum, where anyone's comments are fair game. I wrote in another thread why I post on Castanet. First of all I said that it was fun, that it was a place to learn, share ideas, most times to agree to disagree, sometimes to flame and I can't lie, sometimes to stir things up and see what floats to the top....But really there is no discussions on these forums without an opposing view....the threads would be fairly boring if all you ever say is, amen, I agree, so true,......

Is that not why you post, to share you ideas and opinions? I thought the Bible said something to the effect of "always ask questions" or to spread the word of God. Isn't that what happens when you have a discussion with a "non believer"?..... hopefully to spread the word of God to anyone that's reading your post in the course of a discussion. For myself, during the discussion in livestock, I had to do some rereading in the Bible...to back up what I was saying...so it was a good thing, was it not, even from your prespective?

I have always been interested in various religions and philosophies, it's just part of my natural curiosity and life experiences....so if I see something that someone has written in any topic, and I feel like having a discussion or airing out my opinions, I'm gonna do it. :fence:
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

amen, I agree, so true.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Oh come on Saxon, IMO, I don't think you can take it in stride. The reason you started this thread was because you were being pressed hard by writer and myself in the livestock II thread. You essentially got reduced to trying to quote scriptures (which I might add took you 1 day to find).
So that's why you wanted to know why a "non-believer" would dare to come into a religion and philosphy board. What is a defination of a non-believer anyway, are they everyone that doesn't believe in a Christian God?....or any god.....how about those religions without a god?....agnostics...or how about people that are truly honest with themselves and say " I don't know" what's out there.

Well I can state unequivocally I most certainly do take it in my stride, I was interested as to why when some come in here it would seem it is for nothing more than to attempt to belittle the beliefs of others and tell them they are wrong, perhaps more annoying still I doubt whether most who slander religion have even read the Bible. As for what I was reduced to... I was not reduced to anything its not my fault you were not able to grasp what I was saying... perhaps we can try again.

You appear to be quite adept at word twisting I will say that for you, at which point did I mention anything about a non believer 'daring' to come in here?... it took me a full one day to respond but as get up for work at 5 am and work all day I don't get much time....... to clarify yet again...non believer = no belief in any God

If you want a thread where all Christians go and pat yourselves on the back, just post it in the title as such and I'm sure the "non-believers" will respect your wishes (I can only speak for myself, tho'). Last time I looked this is a public forum, where anyone's comments are fair game. I wrote in another thread why I post on Castanet. First of all I said that it was fun, that it was a place to learn, share ideas, most times to agree to disagree, sometimes to flame and I can't lie, sometimes to stir things up and see what floats to the top....But really there is no discussions on these forums without an opposing view....the threads would be fairly boring if all you ever say is, amen, I agree, so true,......

Did I say I wanted such a thread where Christians pat themselves on the back? you seem to be getting very uptight about a simple question which sprung from simple curiosity.... but yet again I will state ... Yes! everyone is welcome here I am not saying do not come in!... just asking what the drive is behind it... what is it born of...and there can be lots of discussions without an opposing view... I often just talk to people without opposing their views and telling them they are wrong...nor do I find it boring because I am able to talk to them without trying to rubbish their views ......maybe that's just me :127:

Is that not why you post, to share you ideas and opinions? I thought the Bible said something to the effect of "always ask questions" or to spread the word of God. Isn't that what happens when you have a discussion with a "non believer"?..... hopefully to spread the word of God to anyone that's reading your post in the course of a discussion. For myself, during the discussion in livestock, I had to do some rereading in the Bible...to back up what I was saying...so it was a good thing, was it not, even from your prespective?

Thats true I love to share my opinions and views on God and yes I suppose it was a good thing but that can depend which way you look at it... you were reading it in an attempt to discredit.... but then that is so often the case

I have always been interested in various religions and philosophies, it's just part of my natural curiosity and life experiences....so if I see something that someone has written in any topic, and I feel like having a discussion or airing out my opinions, I'm gonna do it

I would expect nothing less I do it myself...again I was only interested as to why the click on a topic about God...pure interest there? or...what rubbish these idiots believe...ok what in here can I attempt to throw in the garbage
Last edited by Saxon on Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon

Re:

Post by Saxon »

eyepop wrote:amen, I agree, so true.

Oh no not another religious weirdo! :dyinglaughing:
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Saxon wrote:

Well I can state unequivocally I most certainly do take it in my stride, I was interested as to why when some come in here it would seem it is for nothing more than to attempt to belittle the beliefs of others and tell them they are wrong, perhaps more annoying still I doubt whether most who slander religion have even read the Bible. As for what I was reduced to... I was not reduced to anything its not my fault you were not able to grasp what I was saying... perhaps we can try again.

You appear to be quite adept at word twisting I will say that for you, at which point did I mention anything about a non believer 'daring' to come in here?... it took me a full one day to respond but as get up for work at 5 am and work all day I don't get much time....... to clarify yet again...non believer = no belief in any God

Did I say I wanted such a thread where Christians pat themselves on the back? you seem to be getting very uptight about a simple question which sprung from simple curiosity.... but yet again I will state ... Yes! everyone is welcome here I am not saying do not come in!... just asking what the drive is behind it... what is it born of...and there can be lots of discussions without an opposing view... I often just talk to people without opposing their views and telling them they are wrong...nor do I find it boring because I am able to talk to them without trying to rubbish their views ......maybe that's just me :127:

Thats true I love to share my opinions and views on God and yes I suppose it was a good thing but that can depend which way you look at it... you were reading it in an attempt to discredit.... but then that is so often the case

I have always been interested in various religions and philosophies, it's just part of my natural curiosity and life experiences....so if I see something that someone has written in any topic, and I feel like having a discussion or airing out my opinions, I'm gonna do it

I would expect nothing less I do it myself...again I was only interested as to why the click on a topic about God...pure interest there? or...what rubbish these idiots believe...ok what in here can I attempt to throw in the garbage

Now you're just rationalizing, I think the people that were involved in the discussion (in the livestock thread) know the reasoning behind why you started this thread. If you followed that thread to what you wrote in this thread, the tone is fairly clear in my mind, as is in this post. Why....do you think I was trying to belittle you? I asked those same questions to myself and to my elders when I was going to Church. Those are just some simple questions I use to ask myself before I questioned myself right out of the Church. Have you not ask those same questions yourself?....and other ones that are begging to be asked in other parts of the Bilble..... or do you just beleve them at face value?....and Nothing wrong with that, IMO, I personally could not do it.

Yes, you can have discussion about anything without an opposing view, but is that really a discussion or a love fest?...I generally don't learn too much about the opposing view or my side for that matter in a love fest.

I would love to have a discussion about other religions in this forum, but I haven't read too many Islamic, Hindu, Buddist,or Confusism threads in here......so you're all I've got.....hopefully we can kiss and make up and have another discussion. :128: I'll be asking, you can be sure.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Now you're just rationalizing, I think the people that were involved in the discussion (in the livestock thread) know the reasoning behind why you started this thread. If you followed that thread to what you wrote in this thread, the tone is fairly clear in my mind, as is in this post. Why....do you think I was trying to belittle you? I asked those same questions to myself and to my elders when I was going to Church. Those are just some simple questions I use to ask myself before I questioned myself right out of the Church. Have you not ask those same questions yourself?....and other ones that are begging to be asked in other parts of the Bilble..... or do you just beleve them at face value?....and Nothing wrong with that, IMO, I personally could not do it.

Yes, you can have discussion about anything without an opposing view, but is that really a discussion or a love fest?...I generally don't learn too much about the opposing view or my side for that matter in a love fest.

I would love to have a discussion about other religions in this forum, but I haven't read too many Islamic, Hindu, Buddist,or Confusism threads in here......so you're all I've got.....hopefully we can kiss and make up and have another discussion. :128: I'll be asking, you can be sure.

Well I don't assume I know the hearts and minds of anyone other than my own...so we differ there... and of course I don't accept everything at face value, that would be silly... if there is/are any question(s) I can help you with don't hesitate Id love to do so

I'm glad you agree you can have a discussion without an opposing view, I personally do not see it as a love fest though, just a because I'm talking to someone it does not mean we're having a love fest does it?...just talking... you go on to say you generally don't learn to much about the opposing view in a love fest...... there we go again with this seemingly essential opposing view.... :127:

Other religions? I have a siek friend who may come in for a chat...I'll have to ask.... kiss and make up? Im sure we can do that yeah.... well unless you're a 6ft6 hairy guy with a beer gut...then I'm not kissin ya :dyinglaughing:
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Saxon wrote: kiss and make up? Im sure we can do that yeah.... well unless you're a 6ft6 hairy guy with a beer gut...then I'm not kissin ya :dyinglaughing:

Bad memories of a past experience? :rate2:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Bad memories of a past experience?
No not at all just not my type.. If I were to kiss another guy I prefer he be my height ish...clean shaven and not so missing linkish :127:
eyepop
Lord of the Board

believer!

Post by eyepop »

George wrote: .. If I were to kiss another guy I prefer he be my height ish...clean shaven and not so missing linkish :127:

i just had to quote that,
for one day.

Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

As someone who doesn't think there is an all powerful male deific being responsible for the creation of the universe I may be in your perspective a "non-believer". My interest in discussing religion is to understand why it is such a powerful force in so many lives whether for the betterment or detriment of human beings and to hopefully distill truths that resonate with me out of the mash of various religious views and "truths".

Tumult

Saxon wrote:I'm curious.... quite often in these Religion forums there are lots of non believers... why?... you must all have some interest in God to click on religion and hit up topics which are quite obviously religious in nature... is your interest purely to attempt to discount or disprove/displace the faith of those who believe?... just curious as to the differing reason for you being in here as most say they dont believe and never will... that being said......what attracts you or makes you come in
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Tumult wrote: My interest in discussing religion is to understand why it is such a powerful force in so many lives ..
Saxon wrote:I'm curious....

very interesting Tumult.

very interesting Saxon.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I think it is such a powerful thing because so many believers and so many who come to Christ have such a powerful experience, once a person truly experiences a relationship with God you change, there can be no substitution for the love and and peace a person can feel from a relationship with God
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Saxon wrote:I think it is such a powerful thing because so many believers and so many who come to Christ have such a powerful experience, once a person truly experiences a relationship with God you change, there can be no substitution for the love and and peace a person can feel from a relationship with God

Unless it's all crud and you just think what you're feeling is attributable to God/Christ/Krishna.

You mentioned earlier Saxon that it seems some non-believers come on here only to try and show Christians that they are wrong. You all mentioned that many non-believers probably haven't even read the Bible.

Point one: What's wrong with trying to point out that Christian's are wrong? If someone comes on this forum and passionately tries to explain to you that what you believe is all hocus pocus, what exactly is wrong with that? You are free to believe what you want and that person has the same rights. Many religious people try to spread the good word, so to should a non-believer have the right to spread his/her own good word.

Point two: Why must a non-believer read the Bible in order to argue against it? I have never understood that. And that said, I believe you are wrong. I believe the majority of the 'non-believers' on this forum (as you call them) were at one time churchgoers who, in their own way, have seen the light.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”