Christening/Baptism of Children

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Christening/Baptism of Children

Post by shoo »

You're right Fluffy. I think that is why(or used to be why)a lot of parents baptized their babies.
Mine were both baptized on their first Easter Saturday in the United church. It was a ritual that was more of a tradition that anything else. A beautiful day,beautiful dresses and a great meal afterward!

We chose wonderful people to be the children's godparents,the same couple ceremoniously and legally. All throughout our childrens lives,we knew that if DH and I couldn't raise them because of death or incapacity,the godparents would. Their own spirituality,parenting methods and work ethic aligned very closely with ours. We are even closer to them now than when we asked them to godparent our kids.We made a thoughtful and intentional decision back then and we made the right one.

Our daughter(23)decided to become baptized as an adult and our son hasn't. Doesn't mean that DS is not a practising Christian,he just doesn't think the ritual is important. He may or may not change his mind,that is up to him.He is loving,kind,ethical and we are very proud of him. Not at all a big deal to me.

shoo
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

In my mind, God always welcomes his little ones into his arms despite what the parents do, or what their religion dictates.

I baptized my first son basically to keep all the grand- parents happy. However, I realized that in my mind, God had already accepted him and all this ceremony was not needed. My next two children were not baptized because in my mind, the moment they took their first breath, God was watching. Especially with my third.
The poor little thing went through a lot, but she is very healthy today. I like to think God was watching when I couldn't be at the hospital with her. O:) I can't prove it, but then again, I don't have to. :|
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:In my mind, God always welcomes his little ones into his arms despite what the parents do, or what their religion dictates.

I baptized my first son basically to keep all the grand- parents happy. However, I realized that in my mind, God had already accepted him and all this ceremony was not needed. My next two children were not baptized because in my mind, the moment they took their first breath, God was watching. Especially with my third.
The poor little thing went through a lot, but she is very healthy today. I like to think God was watching when I couldn't be at the hospital with her. O:) I can't prove it, but then again, I don't have to. :|

Very well said Elektrik Sky.

I have no doubt that whatever God is out there, welcomes the little ones unconditionally...so I guess my need to baptize is more my own guilt and need, as previous posters have said. Thank you all!

...and God Bless that your daughter is healthy today. :flappingangel:
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Elektrik Sky one question for you....

Have your last two children ever asked why their brothers/sisters were baptized and they weren't? And if not (as they may be too young to know yet), what do you think you will tell them if they ask?
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

In the LDS religion we don't believe in baptising children. Our belief is that baptism is done for several reasons... 1. To becom a member of the Church of Christ. 2. To make a covenant with God that you will take his name upon you to live the best that you can as his representative. 3. It is symbolic of making that committment.. you are washed clean and are symbolically reborn as a follower of Christ.

I don't believe people sin until they reach an age of accountability... around the age of 8 years, so we don't baptise before the age of 8. Making a covenanat with God must be the persons decision. We do, however, perform an ordinance with a newborn child where a priesthood holder (usually the father) will give a name and a blessing to the child. Quite a nice ordinance.

So for those that say all Christians believe alike... we can have discussions where we disagree, and this is one of them.

Baptism is essential to enter the kingdom of God according to scripture, so sooner or later all must be baptised. The LDS religion believes all will have that opportunity to accept or reject Christ's atonement for them.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

WELL NED!!! you're wrong!! wrong I tell you!! ...lol... only kidding :dyinglaughing:

That's interesting though, I never knew that about LDS.... so I suppose should a child die before 8 years of age and having not sinned you believe they will still enter the kingdom of God?...my own belief is that a person of any age can be baptised...and should they feel the need to go for another dip in the holy water when older that's fine too a sort of confirmation if you will..
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That's right Saxon... Children that are not accountable are pure before the Lord and have no need of baptism. (In my belief anyway)

The sooner one is baptised after they reach the age of accountability the better though. Means they have committed to live a Christ like life.
Yellow Sprinkles
Board Meister

Post by Yellow Sprinkles »

I was baptized back when I was still in diapers. I don't really know why though, and couldn't care less! I guess maybe it was because my mom was raised Catholic and my grandparents still consider themselves so. I used to be excited to go to church with them and was especially excited for Catechism on Sundays - only because I knew it pleased them and that's what kids do... aim to please those they love. Not that I think I was harmed in anyway, but as a kid I was trusting and so I believed whatever the priest and the Catechism teachers taught me, without questioning it or evaluating it with critical thought. I find it hard to believe that an 8 year old is really capable of making a decision like this, especially since they've likely never been exposed to any other faith or way of believing. The "choice," therefore, would arise from their desire to please their parents and other loved ones. I think if you skip it when they're little, then wait and let them decide once they've matured.

ETA: For what it worth, I will not be baptizing/christening my (future) children - much to the chagrin of my, otherwise wonderful, mother in law, I am sure.
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.
- Emerson
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Some may not be able or ready to make that decision at eight. But kids are certainly accountable for their actions by the age of eight. They know what is right and wrong and have the need to repent. You can repent without baptism, but to be a follower of Christ, or a Christian... baptism is a requirment.
Yellow Sprinkles
Board Meister

Post by Yellow Sprinkles »

I agree that eight year olds are old enough to be accountable for their decisions. What I'm saying is that, when it comes to this topic, I do not believe that they are actually making a decision - I believe that they are acting in a way that is expected of them, subconsciously/indirectly, or otherwise.
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.
- Emerson
bdbnkr

Post by bdbnkr »

There are no examples in the bible of infants being baptized. I believe that baptism is a choice that one has to make for oneself as it is a public declaration of you committment to Christ. That being said I do believe that it is a dedication or christening is a good way for parents to publically declare their commitment to raise a child in Christ. Once the child is old enough (probably 13+) to comprehend the implications of their decision they can make the choice to be baptized.

That being said I do not believe that baptism is a requirement for salvation. I encourage it for all who are Christians but salvation is dependent on only one thing... faith in the risen Christ.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”