Paganism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Paganism

Post by westsidebud »

History records that worship of many gods, goddesses, and deities was viewed by people as important in worship. It was thought that everything had a spirit and was polytheistic, so people had gods and goddesses of the forest, sea, and all aspects of nature.

When the civilizations began to change and develop, the gods grew and changed with the people as they began to acquire gods of their occupations, or gods relevant to their village life. The old gods remained, but were changed or conformed to the changing lives of the people. Gods played an important role in every aspect of society influencing everything from laws and customs to general workings of the community. Reincarnation (rebirth of the body into another bodily form) was believed by the people, but they did not believe in the existence of heaven and hell.

Today, Paganism (neo-paganism) celebrates the Earth, living creatures, nature, and so on. Most modern-day pagans believe in more than one god, while others are atheistic.

American pagans practice a variety of forms of traditions, but the most popular are Celtic, Greco-Roman, Native American, ancient Egyptian, and Norse.
Kabbalah: During the Middle Ages, this Jewish mystical and magical system developed.
Shamanism: This tradition is practiced by the Native American cultures. Drumming is the technique used, and in traditional societies, the shaman travels to the spirit realm to gain information regarding the community’s needs like healing or spiritual growth.
Egyptian: This is very popular today, and involves complex spiritual and magical systems centering on death and rebirth. It developed in ancient Egypt when priestesses and priests became known for their level of knowledge and skill in magical arts.
Druidism: The original Druids were priestesses and part of the judicial class of the ancient Celts.
Discordianism: This began as a Buddhist practice with the main idea being “existence is orderly chaos.” Meditative procedures, confusion and enlightenment, chaos and order, pain and pleasure are revealed as inseparable parts of a total vision of reality

Biblical Christianity professes one God, where paganism often teaches many or no god.

Biblical Christianity teaches that the Bible contains God’s words and message to mankind. It is infallible and inerrant. Paganism does not have one main religious text or set of beliefs to follow.

Biblical Christianity teaches that Jesus, God’s Son, came to earth as a baby, died on the cross as an adult for the sin of the whole world, and rose to life again. Some pagans believe in Jesus as one of the gods, but do not put significance in Him as Christians do.
GO CANUCKS GO
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: paganism

Post by Mr Danksworth »

You should put a link to your sources, as I highly doubt you wrote that all by yourself.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

where my goat leggings. And drugs.
Pagan- People Against Goodness And Normalcy
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

WhatThe wrote:where my goat leggings. And drugs.

did you lose them again!???
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

normaM wrote:
WhatThe wrote:where my goat leggings. And drugs.

did you lose them again!???

:dyinglaughing:
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Mr Danksworth wrote:You should put a link to your sources, as I highly doubt you wrote that all by yourself.

i just googled paganism
GO CANUCKS GO
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

westsidebud wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:You should put a link to your sources, as I highly doubt you wrote that all by yourself.

i just googled paganism

You can ask anything you want - when you get the snot-o-gram- Link your source/or go google do google " we who think we are too smart for our pants" you'll not be surprised who's names come up.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

westsidebud wrote:

i just googled paganism

That's obvious. I'm pretty sure the protocol when cut/copying off the web is to put quote marks around the copied text and to put a link to the original webpage.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: Paganism

Post by hellomynameis »

My wife is pagan...

I've been observing the behaviour, rituals and mating practises for quite sometime now.

Questions?
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hellomynameis wrote:My wife is pagan...

I've been observing the behaviour, rituals and mating practises for quite sometime now.

Questions?

Got any pics?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Queen K wrote:

Questions?

Got any pics?

Yes.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hellomynameis wrote:
Queen K wrote:

Questions?

Got any pics?

Yes.

Soo....
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

How far back does, for simplicities sake, does religion(the belief in gods,deities, creators) go?
Could religion be viewed as a "mechanism" that helped our ancesters ( 10,20,30'000 years ago) cope with the irrational and inexplainable? We still struggle today with the irrational and unexplainable, however, what we can explain in simple scientific terms now, our distant ancestors rationalized a sudden tornado that destroyed their village quite differently.
surfgirl

Post by surfgirl »

Hellow from the other side, I too am a pagan. But I DO NOT BELIEVE IN STUCTURE IN RELIOGION. I do believe in though of the consciece. What makes you whole? The believed that have over take and contolied the eatrh are vantiiangulism. I believe in trust, Always always will. Sorry your structures and hate are so sad, I am for a different belief, Earth to you, and my god to ya all.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Questions?

Oh good, someone in the know for a change. :D

Curiosity sake, what's the difference between something like paganism and wicca or witchcraft?

And one thing I've never really had clarified, is there a difference between wicca and witchcraft or is it the same thing?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”