Noah's Ark

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
tryscotty
Fledgling

Noah's Ark

Post by tryscotty »

There's much disbelief in the account of the great flood and Noahs Ark. I had a thought today about that. Some say how did these animals get in? What about the freshwater fish? And so on. I agree that some things seem hard to believe or understand but keep in mind this. Who made those animals and fish? It's not the flood account, which I firmly believe in, it's the lack of belief in God that's at issue. Please don't use the flood account as an excuse to not trust the Bible. If God does exist than he certainly can accomplish what is written in the Bible regarding the flood and the Ark. If you could create a blue whale and a goldfish than you can make sure that everything else you purpose will happen too, right?

Just a thought I had.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Noahs Ark

Post by GordonH »

The story may or may not have happen means no difference to me. The another stories and events within the OT & NT also may or may not have happen. What is interesting is finding those tiny threads weaved threw out the bible, starting out very visible and then being harder and harder to find.

For those serious into studying the bible take a look of the account of the construction of the Ark (take 3D version make it into 1D) see what you find.

Have fun with this.............
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Riiiiiiiiight.............whats a cubit?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

nickd wrote:Riiiiiiiiight.............whats a cubit?

20 inches or 51 cm
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

[quote="nickd"]Riiiiiiiiight.............whats a cubit?[/quote]

Bill Cosby. Lol
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

nickd wrote:thanks...... I'll get started then
aw crap I'm out of gopher wood.

All you need is pencil & paper............ but you insists on your choice good luck.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nickd wrote:thanks...... I'll get started then

"Gopher wood" is a misreading and scribal error. "Kopher" wood is correct and means wood (any wood) that is covered with Kopher. Kopher is bitumen. In the Genesis text (6:14), the context is clear. The GPR wood used, (a scribal error) is to be covered in KPR. G and K in Hebrew are so similar that inexperienced Hebrew "scholars," such as those translating the King James Version of the Bible, could have been prone to such errors, indeed, they made many such errors.

Note: the above is one of many theories as to what gopher wood is.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

[quote="Glacier"]"nickd" wrote: thanks...... I'll get started then
"Gopher wood" is a misreading and scribal error. "Kopher" wood is correct and means wood (any wood) that is covered with Kopher. Kopher is bitumen. In the Genesis text (6:14), the context is clear. The GPR wood used, (a scribal error) is to be covered in KPR. G and K in Hebrew are so similar that inexperienced Hebrew "scholars," such as those translating the King James Version of the Bible, could have been prone to such errors, indeed, they made many such errors.

Note: the above is one of many theories as to what gopher wood is.[/quote]

You know the King James Bible was not a translation from Hebrew right? It's called a version and not a translation. Thank you for your input though. I find with a little research ,Bible criticism can be resolved. I'm pretty familiar with much of it and after researching I find the critics off base. Like people who reject the Bible or the flood account because of a lack of gopher wood. It was just wood covered with a tar. Hmmm that would work to build a boat.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

tryscotty wrote:You know the King James Bible was not a translation from Hebrew right? It's called a version and not a translation. Thank you for your input though. I find with a little research ,Bible criticism can be resolved. I'm pretty familiar with much of it and after researching I find the critics off base. Like people who reject the Bible or the flood account because of a lack of gopher wood. It was just wood covered with a tar. Hmmm that would work to build a boat.

One way to resolve the issue over the translation is to learn both biblical Hebrew & Greek. Next to that is finding closes english translation as possible. Oh but of course read & dig.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Ya - makes a lot of sense to even humor that all the animals 2 by 2 went onto the ark.....

Wouldn't it just have been easier to "remake" all the animals? (oh, but no lesson to be learned from that....)

You are aware how many critters (that we even know of) are on this planet? i would challenge anyone with some logs and a hammer to try to even build a boat big enough for 2 of all the critters in Canada....if that can be done i may entertain the notion of every creature on the planet.

Oh yes - the lord works in mysterious ways ....... (that can ONLY be deciphered by fully convinced followers of the teachings)

i am convinced there was a flood (many actually) - I am convinced there was a noah - i could be convinced he built a ark - the rest........ will make wonderful fodder for the imagination of my children along side achilles, and thor, and Ra, and Batman.

Maybe have a fox and a rabbit do a car ride for an hour together to see what happens - if the rabbit and fox are still best buds at the end of the trip I will entertain the notion of the ark. Until then its just pre christ mythology being passed off as fact. Not buyin it!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Why knock Batman? Come on, some things are sacred.

Noah's ark = fable = Hare and the Tortoise.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

See my point? No belief in God is the real issue. Different thread on that one though.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

tryscotty wrote:
nickd wrote:Riiiiiiiiight.............whats a cubit?

Bill Cosby. Lol

scotty we may not agree on many a thing
but I'm glad you got my "cubit "reference
Bill Cosby's bit on the ark was :dyinglaughing:
wasn't trying to be disrespectful just trying to have fun with it as another poster suggested we do :sunshine:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

tryscotty wrote:See my point? No belief in God is the real issue. Different thread on that one though.

No, you've taken my previous post and blown it up into "no belief in God." We are talking about Noah's Ark here. You attempted to come up with a way that the story could be true. I simply said Noah's Ark is a fable. You took that to mean no belief in God.

Is it your assertion that one must believe that the story of Noah and his ark is true in order to believe in God?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

[quote="Nebula"]"tryscotty" wrote: See my point? No belief in God is the real issue. Different thread on that one though.
No, you've taken my previous post and blown it up into "no belief in God." We are talking about Noah's Ark here. You attempted to come up with a way that the story could be true. I simply said Noah's Ark is a fable. You took that to mean no belief in God.

Is it your assertion that one must believe that the story of Noah and his ark is true in order to believe in God?[/quote]

Not my assumption at all. If one believes in Jesus and follows him thus is a Christian than a belief in the Bible would be needed. Jesus himself referred to Noah's day. He wasn't referring to a fable.

Of course many don't believe in Jesus or the Bible and still believe in their God. Not every person is the same and there's always exceptions. Today many claim to be Christian but don't believe the Bible. Personally I find that incompatible. Too each his own though.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”