Evolution or Creation?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Evolution or Creation?

Post by French Castanut »

What do you think?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Evolution or Creation?

Post by steven lloyd »

purposeful (non-random) evolution
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

survival of the fittest so basically I agree with Steven
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Occam

Post by Occam »

Not sure of the intent of the OP, but seems like it's almost a poll with two choices. I believe in evolution, no question.

Not sure what Steven meant exactly by non-random evolution... but randomness is an essential part of the theory of evolution as currently proposed by science. Although gene selection is random, whether or not the resultant life form survives to have offspring is not random, rather it is due to the better or worse suitability of the life form to survive in it's environment. It is the environment which drives evolution in a particular direction. If you're curious about this topic I'd recommend The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins - it's very readable and informative.

BTW - hard to believe that there isn't already one of these threads here, this topic is the virtual version of the Middle East.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Occam wrote: Not sure what Steven meant exactly by non-random evolution... but randomness is an essential part of the theory of evolution as currently proposed by science.

Yes, I was referring to non-randomness as something not currently proposed by science.

Occam wrote: BTW - hard to believe that there isn't already one of these threads here, this topic is the virtual version of the Middle East.

Ya got that right :smt039
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

steven lloyd wrote:purposeful (non-random) evolution

Crevolution?
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Evolution. A non-random system relying on random events.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Are we talking "creation" in the biblical sense, or intelligent design?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

-fluffy- wrote:Are we talking "creation" in the biblical sense, or intelligent design?

Doesn't matter. Both have no evidence to support them.

And issues with evolution is not support for either creationism or ID. Too many have trouble grasping that.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I was just trying to get a handle on just what the question posed by the original poster actually was. I was having trouble grasping that. :137:
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

The answer is...

Both.

We were created to evolve...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

I think that we were genetically engineered by aliens a long time ago. The way we treat this planet tells me that we are foreign to it. This would also explain the gaps in evolution or sudden jumps in development.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Tacklewasher wrote:
-fluffy- wrote:Are we talking "creation" in the biblical sense, or intelligent design?

Doesn't matter. Both have no evidence to support them.

And issues with evolution is not support for either creationism or ID. Too many have trouble grasping that.

Yes, but creationism, outside the biblical version, may still apply when considering the big question of "where it all came from", which has yet to be answered. Biblical creationism and evolution are directly at odds with each other, and there's a pretty solid case against biblical creationism. But creationism in the intelligent design school of thought deals partly with what took place before evolution started, and there is no evidence one way or the other on that one.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

I do believe in the Creation (bible).
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

What created god? If there was nothing before god created it, where did god come from?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”