Evolution or Creation?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Evolution or Creation?

Post by fluffy »

tryscotty wrote:If you have something to add that isn't insulting, I might respond.

What is your position on the evolution/creation debate and how did you arrive at it?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

You mean the complex language that these books are written in?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/e ... sheet.html

was trying to dumb it down for you, since you're the one who implied complexity.

The experts don't agree on the science of it

and what, exactly, don't the "experts", agree on.

and the rest of us cannot begin to understand the complexities of what is written.

speak for yourself.

this is little more than typical creationist deflection, "if I can't understand it, no-one can"

we cannot even discern the contradictions for that matter.

and what, exactly, are the contradictions..

The answer? Rely on very smart sounding people who say what you said and insist you have to be stupid or blind to not believe.

nope, you have to stupid or blind to believe in a magical sky wizard.

This is what is either said or implied in the way these are taught today.

ya, how dare people be all learned up 'n stuff.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Well said. I actually thought tryscotty was being sarcastic.

It comes down to this, how do you debate with someone who simply refuses to let reality deter thier beliefs?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Poindexter wrote:Well said. I actually thought tryscotty was being sarcastic.

It comes down to this, how do you debate with someone who simply refuses to let reality deter thier beliefs?

Which side are you saying is willing to change their beliefs?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That's easy, it is only the creationists that have beliefs. Those who understand evolution to be occurring are working with facts.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

jennylives wrote:That's easy, it is only the creationists that have beliefs. Those who understand evolution to be occurring are working with facts.

I see your point if you're talking about existing things evolving which most people who believe in creation will attest to, but as far as how things started, it's still just belief on both sides.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No belief is required for what preceded evolution either. You can either say I theorize this ... occurred or simply say I don't know, which is my answer. Either way, the starting part is not part of evolution but a separate theory.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Then it would be interesting to see if people think life as we know it started through evolution or creation.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No, life didn't "start" through evolution. The debate would be did life start through abiogenesis http://www.biocab.org/Abiogenesis.html#anchor_12 or creation. Evolution is from the starting point of organic matter forward. I hope that clears it up.

ETA: This is a great read about it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/ ... begin.html
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Okay, then it would be interesting to see if people believe whether life as we know it began through abiogenesis or creation as both are currently beliefs.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t-w26yhZ6M I find this interesting. He sure seems willing to speculate without any evidence.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

In the end, what does it matter today what happened billions of years ago? What bearing does it have on our lives today?

I agree with Dawkins in that the god of the bible is a psychopathic tyrant and an invention of Man. It really has no validity or relevance to anybody today. It doesn't mean that some superior intelligence didn't cause all that we witness to come into existence but at this point, evolution seems to be the most logical reason for us being here now.
Last edited by cliffy1 on Feb 17th, 2013, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I wouldn't say there is NO evidence to support abiogenesis, just not enough to support a solid conclusion. There's more evidence than there is for creation, which is currently at zero, though.
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

zzontar wrote:Okay, then it would be interesting to see if people believe whether life as we know it began through abiogenesis or creation as both are currently beliefs.

a group of scientists is confident that they will be able to synthesize a living cell from non living molecules within the next few years.

(see the work of George M. Church)

you see, we don't attribute life to a magical sky wizard waving his "wand".

that would be stupid.

god ------> r.i.p.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Necro wrote:a group of scientists is confident that they will be able to synthesize a living cell from non living molecules within the next few years.

Ha, and that same group of scientists said we would run out of oil by 2010, or that we'd be in an ice age by now. Hard scientists aren't any better than soft scientists such as economists at predicting the future. Just sayin'.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”