Evolution or Creation?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Evolution or Creation?

Post by Hmmm »

I'll stick with this one thank you. The question is answered from the beginning forward, that is the white elephant in the room and I see it.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

jennylives wrote:Evolution, put simply, explains the diversity of species.

It certainly makes a decent attempt to do so, but that explanation still has significant holes in it. Evolution, put simply, is the best theory we have to date. Darwin himself described the Cambrian Explosion as the biggest single objection to the theory of evolution, an objection that still stands.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

jennylives wrote:Please start a thread on abiogenesis. Evolution, put simply, explains the diversity of species. It does not include life starting from inorganic matter. It's two completely different topics.

When people ask whether one believes in creation or evolution, I think they are referring back to the beginning as there are very few people who believe in creation who don't believe an existing creature can evolve. It would be like asking you if you believe in evolution or mutation, the "or" is the problem.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

"Also from nothing to something."

When was there nothing?
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

And there may still be nothing when dark matter gets added to the equation.

-fluffy- wrote:Not to mention as yet unexplained bursts in diversification such as the Cambrian Explosion.

There is a theory that explains the Cambrian Explosion. As our solar system travels through the milky way it creates a bow wave that is chaulk full of cosmic radiation. They speculate that a similar bow wave is created by the the Milky Way as it travels through space. Our solar system's path around the milky way is a little off kilter and manages to peek just above the milky way's disk about every 62 millions year. When it does this our solar system is bombarded with the radiation caused by the bow wave. Radiation that would normally be deflected by the milky way's magnetic field hits our solar system head on. There are 2 massive extinctions associated with the 62 million year cycle as well as major cycles of biodiversity, such as the Cambrian Explosion.
Last edited by Poindexter on Jan 30th, 2013, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Image Start from before these were around. They look designed to me.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hmmm wrote:They look designed to me.

That's just an artist's rendition, they don't look anything like that in person.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

"Start from before these were around."

You have some proof that atoms have not always been around.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Ranger66 wrote:"Start from before these were around."

You have some proof that atoms have not always been around.

Are you saying something could be eternal without a beginning?
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

I am saying that maybe energy in its fundamental state has no beginning or end, as we understand those terms.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Can anyone dispute that energy can neither be created nor destroyed? Then it stands to reason that energy has always been in existence.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

-fluffy- wrote:
That's just an artist's rendition, they don't look anything like that in person.
:dyinglaughing: You're right! They do in fact provide the power source for life. The Atom is a real marvel and has not been recreated by intelligent mankind. Atheist believe they some how they just happened to be. I'm no expert but I believe everything living from a single cell, bacteria, virus and so on has Atoms. It has a design and function not duplicated but no designer? Weird.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote: You're right! They do in fact provide the power source for life. The Atom is a real marvel and has not been recreated by intelligent mankind. Atheist believe they some how they just happened to be. I'm no expert but I believe everything living from a single cell, bacteria, virus and so on has Atoms. It has a design and function not duplicated but no designer? Weird.

Recreating atoms..no...but they are a whole lot closer to explaing the 'beginning' with the discovery of what most call the 'God particle'. The Higgs boson...a subatomic particle that is thought to have originated with the Big Bang, and which may likely be what shaped all matter in the universe ( atoms included ) ...according to leading physicists anyhow.

I don't understand the thinking that the universe has to have some sort of all mighty designer.
Why can't people just appreciate the amazing diversity as it has evolved for what it is.....incredible, amazing and ever changing.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:
I don't understand the thinking that the universe has to have some sort of all mighty designer.
Why can't people just appreciate the amazing diversity as it has evolved for what it is.....incredible, amazing and ever changing.
if you gave an amazing, very valuable gift to someone you loved, would you want them to appreciate you for it? Would it be ok to say, I don't know how it got here but lets just enjoy it and forget about how we got it? There is your answer.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

janalta wrote:
Recreating atoms..no...but they are a whole lot closer to explaing the 'beginning' with the discovery of what most call the 'God particle'. The Higgs boson...a subatomic particle that is thought to have originated with the Big Bang, and which may likely be what shaped all matter in the universe ( atoms included ) ...according to leading physicists anyhow.

It's probably just as hard for some to believe a bunch of identical Higgs particles which decay almost instantly when they collide with anything could eventually become everything in the universe.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”