Evolution or Creation?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Evolution or Creation?

Postby Poindexter » Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:01 am

I had to sit through the Ten Commandments so I think it's only fair those that believe in creation sit through the "History Of The World In 2 Hours." At least the first hour anyway. Found it very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLFCz1Y508
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4188 posts

Postby zzontar » Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:37 am

Poindexter wrote:I had to sit through the Ten Commandments so I think it's only fair those that believe in creation sit through the "History Of The World In 2 Hours." At least the first hour anyway. Found it very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLFCz1Y508

Hmmm, in the first 2 minutes it explains how everything that makes up the whole universe was contained in something less than the size of an atom, and then for reasons unknown suddenly erupted. Then on about the first life form, bacteria, with no explanation as to how bacteria came to be. Then it's on to DNA with no explanation as to how it came to be, then the Cambrian explosion where bacteria evolved into all types of fish and plants with no explanation... so far it's not answering any questions I have... maybe I'll watch the rest later.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1098 posts

Postby fluffy » Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:36 am

zzontar wrote:... so far it's not answering any questions I have... maybe I'll watch the rest later.

I think we have to get used to the idea that these questions may not be answered in our lifetime. Either that or we can make up our own answers. Whatever sits right with you. Search your feelings Luke.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4013 posts

Postby cliffy1 » Mar 2nd, 2013, 8:07 pm

What I would like to ask the "6000 year" fundamentalists is, if you believe that Man walked and lived among the dinosaurs, did we also live amoung the giant amphibians that preceded the dinosaurs? And if the amphibians were wiped out, did god make a mistake when he created them and decided to start all over again?

I ask because I never hear these people mention the giant amphibians that preceded the dinos.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
cliffy1
Übergod

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Hmmm » Mar 4th, 2013, 8:10 am

cliffy1 wrote:What I would like to ask the "6000 year" fundamentalists is, if you believe that Man walked and lived among the dinosaurs, did we also live amoung the giant amphibians that preceded the dinosaurs? And if the amphibians were wiped out, did god make a mistake when he created them and decided to start all over again?

I ask because I never hear these people mention the giant amphibians that preceded the dinos.
This is a good example of real undeniable evidence being denied due to a teaching not found in the Bible. I believe in 7 periods of time, each referred to as a day that could be millions of years long. It is no different then saying to someone, " in my day we used to do this or that".

As early as Genesis 2:4 we see yowm in the singular with an attached infinitive used to indicate an extended period of time. Strong's does not show this since the King James Versions retain the translation of day, but other translations recognize that in this case yowm refers to the time of the entire creation of the heavens and earth as recognized by the The Bible:http://www.accuracyingenesis.com/day.html
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1036 posts

Postby fluffy » Mar 4th, 2013, 8:30 am

This lends further credence to the thought that the Bible was never meant to be an accurate account of history, but rather a collection of metaphorical parables meant to convey a moral message. For me at least it makes it a lot easier to "get along" with any spiritual writing if one is free to take the good and ignore the not-so-good. Spiritual beliefs are an intensely personal matter, and it goes against the grain of the whole concept if one is expected to accept as true some ideas and thoughts that do not ring true in our own hearts.

"This above all, to thine own self be true."
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Ranger66 » Mar 4th, 2013, 1:04 pm

“Hmmm, in the first 2 minutes it explains how everything that makes up the whole universe was contained in something less than the size of an atom, and then for reasons unknown suddenly erupted.”

It’s the history of the world in two hours. The first two minutes would need weeks of explanation and still not be complete, real life is not summed up in a neat little set of tales.
To cool to live, to smart to die
Ranger66
Übergod

Liked in: 357 posts

Postby Hmmm » Mar 4th, 2013, 5:04 pm

-fluffy- wrote:This lends further credence to the thought that the Bible was never meant to be an accurate account of history, but rather a collection of metaphorical parables meant to convey a moral message. For me at least it makes it a lot easier to "get along" with any spiritual writing if one is free to take the good and ignore the not-so-good. Spiritual beliefs are an intensely personal matter, and it goes against the grain of the whole concept if one is expected to accept as true some ideas and thoughts that do not ring true in our own hearts.

"This above all, to thine own self be true."
Of course the Bible doesn't say that it is a metaphorical parable. People do make up all kinds of stuff about it though.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Sneaksuit » Mar 5th, 2013, 12:56 am

Hmmm wrote:I believe in 7 periods of time, each referred to as a day that could be millions of years long. It is no different then saying to someone, " in my day we used to do this or that".

Isn't that true with the rest of the Bible?
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby sammym » Mar 5th, 2013, 1:37 am

And the above video pretty much sums it up...this is how creationism AND evolution BOTH factor into our current being!

YOU'RE WELCOME!!!
sammym

Liked in: 0 post

Postby fluffy » Mar 5th, 2013, 7:09 am

Hmmm wrote:Of course the Bible doesn't say that it is a metaphorical parable.

You're right, it doesn't. Neither does a "Planet of the Apes" movie but we are expected to be able to judge the believability of such works on our own.

It comes down to a personal decision for each of us. For me too many biblical narratives passed the boundaries of believability by breaking natural laws we have come to accept as fact, the evolution/creation debate being but one example, and that it was either flat out wrong or was never meant to be factual in the first place. Going with the second choice allows it to retain some credibility in the area of moral message.
Last edited by fluffy on Mar 5th, 2013, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Hmmm » Mar 5th, 2013, 7:50 am

-fluffy- wrote: was either flat out wrong
I'm curious about what you think the Bible is 'flat out wrong" in?
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby fluffy » Mar 5th, 2013, 8:06 am

Probably more into the area of the "miracle" accounts, parting of the seas and such, the great cataclysms, the "young earth" creation accounts, garden of eden and the whole schlemiel. These stories just have to be metaphorical in nature, wouldn't you think?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby cliffy1 » Mar 5th, 2013, 10:56 am

Jonah living in the stomach of a whale for three days. The Disney version was more credible.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
cliffy1
Übergod

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Hmmm » Mar 5th, 2013, 1:27 pm

-fluffy- wrote:Probably more into the area of the "miracle" accounts, parting of the seas and such, the great cataclysms, the "young earth" creation accounts, garden of eden and the whole schlemiel. These stories just have to be metaphorical in nature, wouldn't you think?
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. When someone states that somethings are just wrong, as in proven, no way to deny, wrong, like the Earth is flat or the center of the universe, then I would like to know which those things are.

If the only thing you can point to are the miracles God did, that doesn't really count. If one does not believe in God then one could also discount these as false. If God does exist then he certainly can preform miracles. Jonah being in the belly of the huge fish is such a miracle as are many other accounts.

I personally appreciate that the Bible has nothing presented as scientific that has been proven wrong. It does not say the Earth is flat or is the center of the universe. The seven creative days presented in Genesis are also scientifically accurate as in, science agrees it would have been in that exact order from the standpoint of mans view being on the Earth.

Are there any scientific facts in the Bible, that are not presented as miracles that are 100% proven wrong that you are aware of? I am not aware of any such things.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality