Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Jordan123
Fledgling

Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by Jordan123 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bsa-r ... estion.svg

There are currently more people that claim "no religion" in the UK over Christianity. This is such great news that people are finally waking up from the silly fairytale of Christianity.

I am a former christian, alter boy etc. As I grew, I realized that absolutely none of the bible made any sense whatsoever. I believe in a life force or energy that connects us all in a way that is only understood by few (like Jesus, great man and teacher .... Not a god!)

Ok Christians, convince me how wrong I am!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by Nebula »

Why would an atheist or agnostic bait Christians to convince him his beliefs are wrong?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Jordan123 wrote: I believe in a life force or energy that connects us all

So, you've traded one silly belief for another. Good job.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Jordan123 wrote:I believe in a life force or energy that connects us all...

Jedi Jordan
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Jordan123 wrote:I believe in a life force or energy that connects us all...

A rose by any other name ...
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Nebula wrote:Why would an atheist or agnostic bait Christians to convince him his beliefs are wrong?

Agreed. I have no need to to be convinced or feel the need to convince others of my beliefs. All I ask if one does believe in such deities that let him/her/it judge us for our choices, do not make choices for us because one thinks some deity "wills" it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Jordan123 wrote:
I am a former christian, alter boy etc. As I grew, I realized that absolutely none of the bible made any sense whatsoever.

Ok Christians, convince me how wrong I am!

Lets start with the catholic church. They are evil in every sense of the word, its no wonder you lost your faith there plus find the Bible makes no sense to you.

If you examine the history of the popes you will (or should) clearly see just how evil they were. Its not just the modern version of this disgusting empire thats totally corrupt, its from the beginning.

This of course is not an argument to convince you God exists, but to simply point to your experience as totally bad from the start.

If you wanted to become a doctor and you grew up in a family of traveling snake oil salesmen who claimed to be doctors, do you think you would come to an accurate conclusion of what "real medicine" is?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

A priest, child rapist and sexual predator walks into a bar that's just opening.

"What'llya have?" asked the bartender to the lone customer in his establishment.
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Proof-640×480.jpg

The whole argument about whether or not Religion is real kinda falls apart after that rather fundamental issue...

After all, the burden of proof lies with those making the claim for existence, no matter how much they try to offload it onto others (like Atheists).
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Hmmm wrote:Lets start with the catholic church. They are evil in every sense of the word, its no wonder you lost your faith there plus find the Bible makes no sense to you.

Can you feel the Christian love for his brethren...what a joke. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Hmmm wrote:Lets start with the catholic church. They are evil in every sense of the word, its no wonder you lost your faith there plus find the Bible makes no sense to you.

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Can you feel the Christian love for his brethren...what a joke. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Hmmm your new found atheists friends turn very quickly on you.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

zensiert wrote:
Proof-640×480.jpg

The whole argument about whether or not Religion is real kinda falls apart after that rather fundamental issue...

After all, the burden of proof lies with those making the claim for existence, no matter how much they try to offload it onto others (like Atheists).

You need to good into Biblical history. There is lots of evidence of the existence of God's people the Israelites. Whats the name of that country between Egypt and Jordan?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Mr Danksworth wrote:

They are not my brothers. I hate the church not the people. And yes it's ok to hate evil.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

zensiert wrote:
Proof-640×480.jpg

averagejoe wrote:You need to good into Biblical history. There is lots of evidence of the existence of God's people the Israelites. Whats the name of that country between Egypt and Jordan?

In the end, all fingers point back to the Bible/Tanakh. There is no evidence for God outside of the Bible that stands up to skeptical inquiry and the Scientific Method.
Jordan123
Fledgling

Post by Jordan123 »

Jordan123 wrote:I believe in a life force or energy that connects us all

Captain Awesome wrote:So, you've traded one silly belief for another. Good job.

Unlike Christianity, I have no need to define it, to live by any standard, to have anyone or everyone conform to it.

I detest the precipice that if there is indeed an afterlife, I will be excluded simply for the fact I am not a Christian. Forget that I am an honest, hardworking family man who has integrity out the ying-yang ..... All that counts for not, unless you are a Christian, right?

Christianity preaches exclusivity, punishment and fear. Is that the message we should be spreading?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”