Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
5VP
Übergod

Re: Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by 5VP »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Congratlations, sir. You have just won the internet! You managed to fit homosexuals, nazi's and jews into one incoherent rant! Spectacular! Stellar!

You obviously got the point despite the brevity of my response.

Those that can do.

Glad to oblige and thanks for the pseudo inspiration...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Nebula wrote:I don't think I understand the question. What is an anti-evil device to you?

Car alarms, home security, tamper-proof lids, security cameras, anti-virus programs, bars on items that set off an alarm when leaving if not removed, airport scanners, chips on credit cards, hidden holograms on money, car doors that automatically lock when you start driving, anything requiring a password, pre-pay pumps... the list goes on.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

What does that have to do with the topic?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Nebula wrote:What does that have to do with the topic?

It's a thought about whether the world is becoming a better place to live now that atheism/agnosticism is on the rise... you think if it continues we'll be able to keep our doors unlocked again? I don't.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

zzontar wrote:It's a thought about whether the world is becoming a better place to live now that atheism/agnosticism is on the rise...

Interesting. Do you think quality of your life really depends on religious views of the general public?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:Interesting. Do you think quality of your life really depends on religious views of the general public?

No I don't, but I know most families in my neighborhood went to church when I was a kid, and that was when people didn't have to lock their doors, etc. Now very few I know attend church, and no one I know leaves their homes unlocked, etc. I'm not saying an atheist can't be a good person or that going to church makes one a good person, but thinking there might be a correlation.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

zzontar wrote:No I don't, but I know most families in my neighborhood went to church when I was a kid, and that was when people didn't have to lock their doors, etc. Now very few I know attend church, and no one I know leaves their homes unlocked, etc. I'm not saying an atheist can't be a good person or that going to church makes one a good person, but thinking there might be a correlation.

That's kinda what I thought you were trying to say.

Where did you grow up?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Actually, anyone I know over 50 has the same story so pick a city.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Okay, now I understand what you're talking about, zzontar. It looks like you think things are worse today than they were when you were a kid. Are you blaming atheists for that? Is the reason you have to lock your door because there's an atheist in the neighborhood?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Nebula wrote:Okay, now I understand what you're talking about, zzontar. It looks like you think things are worse today than they were when you were a kid. Are you blaming atheists for that? Is the reason you have to lock your door because there's an atheist in the neighborhood?

Nooooooo, again I'm saying there might be a correlation. On a bigger scale, atheists like to blame all wars on religion. I'm guessing as atheism gains ground, eventually there will be no wars at all... according to atheists. According to some atheists on here, pretty well everything about religion is bad, so I guess now we can all sit back and watch the world become a better place.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Well, I'm under no illusion that's the way things will play out. I look at it that some people do bad things despite being religious.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

zzontar wrote:Actually, anyone I know over 50 has the same story so pick a city.

Well, I still wouldn't say there is a strong correlation between lack of religious beliefs and quality of life in terms of lower crime, etc. Good reason would be strong growth of the population in urban centers - ask somebody what the life was in Kelowna 50 years ago and they'll paint you the most idealistic picture comparing to today. Why? Hardly because of strong religious beliefs, mainly because:

- Much lower population
- Lack of information intake (so you don't hear as much about the crime until it actually affects you)
- People tend to remember only the good things
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

zzontar wrote: Nooooooo, again I'm saying there might be a correlation. On a bigger scale, atheists like to blame all wars on religion. I'm guessing as atheism gains ground, eventually there will be no wars at all... according to atheists. According to some atheists on here, pretty well everything about religion is bad, so I guess now we can all sit back and watch the world become a better place.

:rate10:

Atheism is NOT gaining ground. We are more knowledgable today and many former church folk that have been "indoctrinated " by any of the multitude of religious faiths out there are more mobile and and have less time to spend in church.

The decline in churchgoers is not an indication of lack of faith in GOD. It's merely a statistic that atheists have gleefully been utilizing to justify their wayward notions, actions and lifestyles. People can and do maintain their faith in GOD on their own without the constant need for attending a dogmatic church religion or temple or Hall.

I haven't been in a church in over a decade but my personal readings and life experiences have broadened and enhanced my understanding and belief in GOD even moreso now than when I was younger.

This mode of inner faith practice is more of a testament to the power of the enduring messages in the bible than and indictment of GOD, JaWeh, Mother Nature, the Creator, the Great Spirit , the Force (schwartz?), Higgs Boson or any other definition of the divine spirit that you might use to float your boat...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

5VP wrote:The decline in churchgoers is not an indication of lack of faith in GOD. It's merely a statistic that atheists have gleefully been utilizing to justify their wayward notions, actions and lifestyles.

And the shoe drops. 5VP believes atheists are immoral.

Just what wayward notions, actions and lifestyles are atheists up to these days, 5VP?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Well, I still wouldn't say there is a strong correlation between lack of religious beliefs and quality of life in terms of lower crime, etc. Good reason would be strong growth of the population in urban centers - ask somebody what the life was in Kelowna 50 years ago and they'll paint you the most idealistic picture comparing to today. Why? Hardly because of strong religious beliefs, mainly because:

- Much lower population Go to the smaller towns and communities today and you'll see a higher percentage of people who lock their doors than larger towns 50 years ago
- Lack of information intake (so you don't hear as much about the crime until it actually affects you) Go screw a goat in a small town that doesn't even have internet and see just how quick the information spreads
- People tend to remember only the good things I think it's the opposite, which is why there are way more complaints about bad businesses than there are nice compliments about good ones.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”