Day of rest, Sat, or Sun.?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
emc group
Fledgling

Day of rest, Sat, or Sun.?

Post by emc group »

How do the christians come up with sunday being the 7th day? Every where I look seems sunday is first day of week, therefore making sat. the day of rest. I have family on both sides of fence and both insist they have the true god. Me, I'm still ON the fence playing it safe till something real happens.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Day of rest, Sat, or Sun.?

Post by Captain Awesome »

emc group wrote:Me, I'm still ON the fence playing it safe till something real happens.

Like, God would come down and tell us what day Sunday really is - first or seventh?

Might be waiting a long time on that fence...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

I am actually quite fine on the fence. Great view, and I do not need to commit to any organization. My question really is, why do christians go to church on the first day of the week, when their god rested on the seventh?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

emc group wrote:I am actually quite fine on the fence. Great view, and I do not need to commit to any organization. My question really is, why do christians go to church on the first day of the week, when their god rested on the seventh?

Sunday isn't observed as the day of worship because God rested on the seventh day, but because Jesus respawned was resurrected.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

Sorry C.A. I think I need to make a stiff drink to figure out what that means, I assume it is so far from your reality that we must make jest, that's ok though.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

emc group wrote:Sorry C.A. I think I need to make a stiff drink to figure out what that means, I assume it is so far from your reality that we must make jest, that's ok though.

Just pointing out that day of rest isn't connected to God's resting on seventh day...Na zdrowie.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

you strain the gnat but swallow the fly.
Last edited by Hmmm on Oct 1st, 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I'm pretty sure the day of rest thing came out of the god dude's inability to handle a week of work and taking the seventh day off. (Which could be why we have the seventh inning stretch in baseball too, but that could be pushing it.)

The fictional character Jesus in the bible novel was resurrected two days after the whole dying on the cross thing (hence why Easter Sunday takes place two days after Good Friday).

None of which explains hot cross buns.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

I agree it is all very far fetched, my parents did the fri sundown to sat sundown thing. I have been told more times than I can count, that this is the end time, and given a date, only to be let down. Get's a little thin after a while. I would be em bare assed to be wrong that many times.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

nebula wrote: The fictional character Jesus in the bible novel.

Explain to me why most of the 12 Apostles went to Parthia and Scythia and Parthia becomes the first Christian nation 100 years after Christ? How did that happen?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

They walked?
Rode a camel?
Rode a donkey?
Hitched a ride with the FSM ?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Nebula wrote:I'm pretty sure the day of rest thing came out of the god dude's inability to handle a week of work and taking the seventh day off. (Which could be why we have the seventh inning stretch in baseball too, but that could be pushing it.)

The fictional character Jesus in the bible novel was resurrected two days after the whole dying on the cross thing (hence why Easter Sunday takes place two days after Good Friday).

I think hanging off a cross is a helluva gross way to spend Easter. I'd rather have chocolate.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Babbitman wrote:
Nebula wrote:I'm pretty sure the day of rest thing came out of the god dude's inability to handle a week of work and taking the seventh day off. (Which could be why we have the seventh inning stretch in baseball too, but that could be pushing it.)

I think hanging off a cross is a helluva gross way to spend Easter. I'd rather have chocolate.

For sure, eh? If they'd stuffed an Easter Egg in his mouth he'd have gotten the best part of Easter.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Best thing I've read about religion in a long time :dyinglaughing:
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

It doesn't matter what day you do something, it matters how you do it.

Jesus told us to love one another. Forget that. You can have huge $million dollar
churches with $million dollar incomes, and they can talk about loving one anohter either
Saturday or Sunday, and they can sing songs together - there will be a big percentage
of the people stabbing someone in the back, every Sunday, or Saturday.

It doesn't matter what day you do something, it matters how you do it.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”