Day of rest, Sat, or Sun.?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Day of rest, Sat, or Sun.?

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

emc group wrote:How do the christians come up with sunday being the 7th day? Every where I look seems sunday is first day of week, therefore making sat. the day of rest. I have family on both sides of fence and both insist they have the true god. Me, I'm still ON the fence playing it safe till something real happens.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/ ... bbath.html
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

Post by Charles Whitman II »

we are to keep the "sabbath" day holy.... I guess the chruch figured sunday was more conveinient......
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Charles Whitman II wrote:we are to keep the "sabbath" day holy.... I guess the chruch figured sunday was more conveinient......
What religions keep the Sabbath still? Judaism, SDA anyone else or do most think they're celebrating it still on Sunday? I know its the traditional day to go to church but do they also think that's because its the Sabbath?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

DISCLAIMER: I have not read this entire article, but judging by its length, I'd say it provides an in-depth and thorough look at the subject.

http://www.gci.org/law/sabbath/hanson

Here is the conclusion:
    Now that we have demonstrated that the first day of the week was the Christian day of regular corporate worship in the church in Asia at the end of the first century, we can chart a course backward from Revelation 1:10 to see where this practice began.

If we view Acts 20:7 and 1 Cor. 16:1 in the light of second century writings discussed above, it is likely that they can be viewed as evidence that Sunday worship was the normal practice in the Pauline churches.[76]

We can then take this trajectory back even further. Although no early Christian document explicitly identifies the origin of Sunday worship in the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus, the Gospel writers considered it important to mention that those appearances took place on the first day of the week and that Jesus met with his disciples on that day.

When the Gospel accounts were written, Sunday was the day of Christian worship and was apparently understood to be a memorial of the resurrection. When Sunday worship was the practice, Christians must have connected it with the Lord's resurrection on a Sunday.[77] This may have also influenced the way the Gospel writers treated the sabbath controversies as they showed that Jesus was superior to the sabbath and that his actions offended the sabbath-observing Pharisees.

We can then take that trajectory back to the time of the historical Jesus and see that his messianic work superseded the seventh-day sabbath and that as his disciples began to meet on Sunday they could look to the example of Jesus and not feel bound to observe the seventh-day sabbath.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think hanging off a cross is a helluva gross way to spend Easter. I'd rather have chocolate.
grammafreddy wrote:For sure, eh? If they'd stuffed an Easter Egg in his mouth he'd have gotten the best part of Easter.

Wow, that's pretty twisted... even for GF... kind of psychotic actually.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

There is no reason to be so grossly insulting. I will not post anymore in this forum.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hmmm wrote:There is no reason to be so grossly insulting. I will not post anymore in this forum.

Sorry, man. I was just trying to help.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm... someone is very touchy. As a friend once said, "Don't pet the sweaty things."
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Who says Sunday is the first day of the week? I thought it was part of the weekend.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hmmm wrote:There is no reason to be so grossly insulting. I will not post anymore in this forum.

Just put the grossly insulting people on your "Foe" list and never read their posts again. After that, carry on, you have worthy things to say.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:Just put the grossly insulting people on your "Foe" list and never read their posts again.

Or post it on FB, see if she gets fired.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

-fluffy- wrote:Who says Sunday is the first day of the week? I thought it was part of the weekend.

Sunday is at one end, and Saturday is at the other end. Just sayin'.
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Queen K wrote:Just put the grossly insulting people on your "Foe" list and never read their posts again. After that, carry on, you have worthy things to say.
I didn't know about that but now I do, thanks. Some people are not worth even knowing about. I would mention who, but I'm much kinder then they are. So I will post still, if this foe thing works.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I don't think it works if they're quoted by someone else. I just added them and can still see their vile, disgusting, hate filled rant.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You found the one flaw.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”