A saw and a man

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Poindexter
Guru

Re: A saw and a man

Post by Poindexter »

kibbs wrote: .I just accepted that i'm eternal and am making my own way through the universe.

And I happen to like the words you used. I'm not afraid of death and don't need it explained to me in a fable. I agree Nibbs, I also think we are enternal and people take for granted that we already didn't exist once and came into being, who's to say it won't happen again. It's the only real fact we have regarding the issue, may not be enough for some but it's enough for me.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

And I happen to like the words you used. I'm not afraid of death and don't need it explained to me in a fable. I agree Nibbs, I also think we are enternal and people take for granted that we already didn't exist once and came into being, who's to say it won't happen again. It's the only real fact we have regarding the issue, may not be enough for some but it's enough for me.

Peace be with you brother on your journey .Go as your spirit moves you .
Peace be with you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

kibbs wrote:Peace be with you brother on your journey .Go as your spirit moves you .

And you as well kibbs.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Is this the part where the two of you turn to each other to shake sticky hands?

Ick.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I saw a man with a saw, man. The saw and the man were sawing a man when I saw the man with the saw. Man was that sawing man ever sawing that man.

Ever see a man with a saw?
Was he sawing a man?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

All sorts of room for interpretation there Graham. You should write a Bible. :127:
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

So for around 14 billion years or so god got bored and a few million years ago decided to create a being that had the same emotional constructs as him but yet irrevocably imperfect to watch us toil and suffer with flawed flesh and be judged at the end of corporeal existence. Sounds pretty arrogant to me.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

WhatThe wrote:So for around 14 billion years or so god got bored and a few million years ago decided to create a being that had the same emotional constructs as him but yet irrevocably imperfect to watch us toil and suffer with flawed flesh and be judged at the end of corporeal existence. Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

Maybe he was so bored that instead of creating us as perfect and having all the answers, he created us with the potential to live peacefully and prosperously while our expanding knowledge eventually eradicates one disease after another. Sadly enough, although that potential is there, it's now too often looked at as humorous and fictional.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.

"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know *bleep*?"

And then she went back to reading her book
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

WhatThe wrote:So for around 14 billion years or so god got bored and a few million years ago decided to create a being that had the same emotional constructs as him but yet irrevocably imperfect to watch us toil and suffer with flawed flesh and be judged at the end of corporeal existence. Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

That would be the God of Biblical design. There are plenty of other options if that one isn't sitting well with you.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A Woman went to the Post Office to buy stamps for her Christmas cards.

"What Denomination?" Asked the clerk.

"Oh, my goodness! Have we come to this?" said the woman.

"Well give me 50 Baptist and 50 Catholic!"
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

-fluffy- wrote:
That would be the God of Biblical design. There are plenty of other options if that one isn't sitting well with you.

You're quite right, it doesn't sit well with me. Nor does the prospect of having people impose their beliefs on me. since I don't have all the answers (I tend to lean towards your way of thinking) I find it arrogant that people think they do (via written texts).

And sometimes I have to voice that opinion to counter those that say they are Christian (or whatever) but don't act like it, hypocrisy bugs the pellet/patty/chunky *bleep* out of me. (I assume SL was shooting a teasing shot across my bow)

Stay out of my business when it comes to morality and I'll stay out of yours, reasonably speaking of course.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

WhatThe wrote: And sometimes I have to voice that opinion to counter those that say they are Christian (or whatever) but don't act like it, hypocrisy bugs the pellet/patty/chunky *bleep* out of me. (I assume SL was shooting a teasing shot across my bow) Stay out of my business when it comes to morality and I'll stay out of yours, reasonably speaking of course.

I never attempt to impose my spiritual beliefs on anyone. I never assume someone else knows less or more than I do about this issue. It is unknowable, and assuming you know the answer either way is arrogantly presumptious. I believe what I believe in this regard and have sound reasons for doing so and don’t even share that anymore – around here at least. I will challenge those who presume to interpret the Bible literally, take meaning out of historical context or believe in things that conflict with scientific fact, but I won’t mock them for believing in the existence of something they choose to call God and make all kinds of assumptions of what that means to them. Hypocrisy bugs the chunky *bleep* out of me.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WhatThe wrote:You're quite right, it doesn't sit well with me. Nor does the prospect of having people impose their beliefs on me.

Are you talking about the only religion converts by force (I use religion lightly since it's actually only 10% religion and 90% political), or are you talking about all the other religions out there that proselytize, but want you to believe what they believe by your own free will? Here is one prominent atheist’s perspective on proselytizing…

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

There was never an accusation at you SL, just figured you were teasing me in jest. I in turn "share" (to each their own) your sentiments but that in reality is not the societal structure we have. We still have religion as a form of lobby that influences political constructs that IMO negatively impacts the people as a whole.

I will stand against anyone who tells me they are right and I am wrong when it comes to spiritual matters.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”