Truth seeker

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Truth seeker

Post by fluffy »

steven lloyd wrote:I was nowhere near death when I physically and completely felt the presence of, well, ... I felt the presence of ...

cliffy1 wrote: Well, that's the thing about these experiences. They can change our lives and bring a deep sense of connection to the divine, but what that is is not possible to relate to others.

It's really hard to find the words for these experiences, but when I hear things like "presence" and "connection" my spidey sense tingles and I begin to suspect I might be on the same page. For me these moments of "profound revelation" if you will, generally come at times when stress is at a distance, and often in conjunction with some of Mother Nature's finer moments. Everything just falls into place, I know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, and often the path ahead becomes a little clearer.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Last edited by SmokeOnTheWater on Jul 20th, 2013, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Some how I just can't relate to the notion of truth seeking. Truth is too subjective.

Peace seeking is more my view. Being at peace with your self. If you are at peace with yourself and with your self, doesn't it hold that all else falls into place.

Isn't that more like the described experiences? As in being totally at peace?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Here are your truth seekers.
image.jpg
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

My point isn't that truth seeking is not without value. What I'm trying to express is that one can get bogged down in deciphering and seeking out what is true, when perhaps many of us are just looking to be at peace. "Truths" are often from the outside, but being at peace comes from within.

I "get" the "mother nature's moments" thing. I have ben captured by some of those at odd times and am drawn back to them. Sitting in a canoe 20 miles from anyone on a sunny day and being accepted by a family of otters as not interupting their day - a moment of just being and somehow being the otters.

I "get" the point of pilgrimages, a couple of weeks into backpacking in high mountains and the journey is all, and in that singularity is peace.

Those are a couple of my experiences, and it is that peace that attracts me.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

hobbyguy wrote:My point isn't that truth seeking is not without value. What I'm trying to express is that one can get bogged down in deciphering and seeking out what is true, when perhaps many of us are just looking to be at peace. "Truths" are often from the outside, but being at peace comes from within.

I "get" the "mother nature's moments" thing. I have ben captured by some of those at odd times and am drawn back to them. Sitting in a canoe 20 miles from anyone on a sunny day and being accepted by a family of otters as not interupting their day - a moment of just being and somehow being the otters.

I "get" the point of pilgrimages, a couple of weeks into backpacking in high mountains and the journey is all, and in that singularity is peace.

Those are a couple of my experiences, and it is that peace that attracts me.

Some people can't find peace in the wilderness. Some people are terrified outside of their environment. In a culture full of violence and war (at least according to the media) peace is sometimes a rare commodity. Some people need to seek ways to extricate themselves from their social conditioning (brain washing). Inner peace seems to be the common goal that most people seek, but everyone has to find their own way.

I found mine by spending 10 years living in the wilderness. I had an intuitive hunch back in 72 that that is what I had to do because I found no peace in my home town or in the life I was lead to believe I had to live. The rat race was not for me, but it took a lot of time, determination and work to overcome my social conditioning. The program was deeply imbedded. Now I can rely on my intuition to lead me to those experiences that I need to further my growth and inner peace.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

hobbyguy wrote:Some how I just can't relate to the notion of truth seeking. Truth is too subjective.

Peace seeking is more my view. Being at peace with your self. If you are at peace with yourself and with your self, doesn't it hold that all else falls into place.

Isn't that more like the described experiences? As in being totally at peace?

Maybe "truth" isn't quite the right word. I've always said that words are a poor conveyance for thought, for me at least, a poet's skills I have not. I would agree that being at peace is the ultimate goal, but in seeking that I have discovered a number of "truths" along the way. These may apply to my journey only, but until something better comes along they are my truths. Among them the value of honesty, respect and courtesy in dealing with others, the stumbling blocks that negative emotions present, and balance in all things. And chocolate. And movies with spaceships and stuff.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

cliffy1 wrote:Some people can't find peace in the wilderness. Some people are terrified outside of their environment. In a culture full of violence and war (at least according to the media) peace is sometimes a rare commodity. Some people need to seek ways to extricate themselves from their social conditioning (brain washing). Inner peace seems to be the common goal that most people seek, but everyone has to find their own way.

I found mine by spending 10 years living in the wilderness. I had an intuitive hunch back in 72 that that is what I had to do because I found no peace in my home town or in the life I was lead to believe I had to live. The rat race was not for me, but it took a lot of time, determination and work to overcome my social conditioning. The program was deeply imbedded. Now I can rely on my intuition to lead me to those experiences that I need to further my growth and inner peace.

You are right. Not everyone need to go into the wilderness to find inner peace. I'm surrounded with trees, birds, mountain views and open sky right here in the middle of town. Inner peace is there all along. You just need to find it.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

-fluffy- wrote: And chocolate. And movies with spaceships and stuff.

Ya Mon! I can dig dat! Two of my favourite things too.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was in Kelowna recently when I happened upon some missionaries from Singapore. They had three books: one for people with a Christian world view, one for people with an Islamic world view, and one for people with an eastern world view (everyone who doesn't fit into the first two).

I decided to give the third book a whirl. By This Name quotes some interesting passages. One that caught my eye was one that says God touches us when we are at our low point.

For this is what the high and exalted One says—
      he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
      “I live in a high and holy place,
      but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
      to revive the spirit of the lowly
      and to revive the heart of the contrite.

~ Isaiah 57:15
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
masen
Fledgling

Post by masen »

How did he come up with that answer? Most of us just repeat what we have heard. Dying is not the answer as we only reap what we sow. If we can't find any answers now, we won't later. Unless we change now and find answers as we learn to humble ourselves, we will never know anything more than what we have read. What we have read is of little value as it is someone else's thoughts. We need to try to find what our lessons are about. They are uniquely ours and ours alone, they are just for us and no one else unless someone else has the identical lesson. Our thoughts create our lives. It can be scientifically proven by a logical mind.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Great place to while away some spare time:

http://www.mettadrum.com/
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I believe a powerful enemy purposely creates many forms of religions and ideas so as to obscure the truth. This of course is only a fraction of an answer I know. The results are though, that people get so fed up with religions and all the bad they cause they give up before finding the truth. Then enemy wins.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Hmmm wrote:I believe a powerful enemy purposely creates many forms of religions and ideas so as to obscure the truth. This of course is only a fraction of an answer I know. The results are though, that people get so fed up with religions and all the bad they cause they give up before finding the truth. Then enemy wins.

Enemy of who?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Sneaksuit wrote:
Enemy of who?

Enemy of God and of men. Like I said though, this is a fraction of an answer. Every part of the answer raises more questions, I understand that.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”