Christianity: Shaking the dust off our feet

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
TMixer
Board Meister

Re: Christianity: Shaking the dust off our feet

Post by TMixer »

cliffy1 wrote:That is your judgement.

Of course it is. I said it.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

concernie wrote:Psychoanalysis is closely associated with the authoritarian personality construct. Basically, Freud theorizes that repressing sexuality is unhealthy and manifests itself in negative ways, like authoritarian behaviour (notice how Freud bypasses any discussion of whether authoritarian behaviour is bad in the first place). The psychoanalysts love to use this analysis to explain the Nazi regime. But they leave out a big piece of that puzzle, which is that many of the leading Nazis were homosexuals, and there is strong evidence that Hitler was also. Anyways, Freud's solution to avoiding this big, bad authoritarian descent is to express all things sexual, debauched or not. So, this supports the kabbalistic concept of order out of chaos: engaging in good and evil to bring about a desired outcome. Freud was a Lurianic kabbalist. Freud was more a mystic than a scientist, and the same goes for psychoanalysis.

This is rubbish. You're stringing together ideas to drum up a theory of your own, without any evidence, and it doesn't answer my request with examples of how psychoanalysis encourages immoral behavior. Freud was not more of a mystic than a scientist. Even Jung, who was a known mystic, never betrayed the scientific method and both gave credibility to areas of study beyond science's domain.

I've noticed several of your posts contain radical theories (from the internet?) embedded with wild assumptions and broad generalizations.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Sneaksuit wrote:
This is rubbish. You're stringing together ideas to drum up a theory of your own, without any evidence, and it doesn't answer my request with examples of how psychoanalysis encourages immoral behavior. Freud was not more of a mystic than a scientist. Even Jung, who was a known mystic, never betrayed the scientific method and both gave credibility to areas of study beyond science's domain.

I've noticed several of your posts contain radical theories (from the internet?) embedded with wild assumptions and broad generalizations.

I told you, Freud said that freeing sexual inhibitions leads to better health, inhibiting sexuality leads to pathology. Thus it promotes sexual immorality. Re-read what I posted. If you don't believe me, go read straight from the source. Read Freud or Adorno's Authoritarian Personality. What radical theories? It's an historical fact that Freud was a kabbalist.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:I told you, Freud said that freeing sexual inhibitions leads to better health, inhibiting sexuality leads to pathology. Thus it promotes sexual immorality. Re-read what I posted. If you don't believe me, go read straight from the source. Read Freud or Adorno's Authoritarian Personality. What radical theories? It's an historical fact that Freud was a kabbalist.

Does this account for pedophile priests? I believe celibacy does lead to pathology. It is unnatural and counter productive. From what I have been able to ascertain from my studies, even Jesus had lovers. Even priests and Popes used to have sex. When Rome conquered the Celts, their took away the power of the high priestesses of the Druid religion by turning them into nuns which were nothing more than concubines for the priesthood of the church.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote: From what I have been able to ascertain from my studies, even Jesus had lovers. Proof please.
When Rome conquered the Celts, their took away the power of the high priestesses of the Druid religion by turning them into nuns which were nothing more than concubines for the priesthood of the church.Proof please.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:Does this account for pedophile priests? I believe celibacy does lead to pathology. It is unnatural and counter productive. From what I have been able to ascertain from my studies, even Jesus had lovers. Even priests and Popes used to have sex. When Rome conquered the Celts, their took away the power of the high priestesses of the Druid religion by turning them into nuns which were nothing more than concubines for the priesthood of the church.

No, it doesn't. Ascetics know full well that sex is natural but choose celibacy as a mean of devoting their energy, sexual and non-sexual, to God alone. I find it very interesting that the Catholic Church pedophile scandals began shortly after the modernizing of the Church during the Second Vatican Council (1965). The priesthood was flooded with homosexuals and pedophiles following Vatican II. Stinks of a plot to me.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:No, it doesn't. Ascetics know full well that sex is natural but choose celibacy as a mean of devoting their energy, sexual and non-sexual, to God alone. I find it very interesting that the Catholic Church pedophile scandals began shortly after the modernizing of the Church during the Second Vatican Council (1965). The priesthood was flooded with homosexuals and pedophiles following Vatican II. Stinks of a plot to me.

And yet, a Catholic friend of mine insists that the church has always been a haven for gays ever since being gay was punishable by death or incarceration. He figures that there are at least 50% gay priests and has been for centuries. Pedophilia has been around since the caves and has nothing to do with homosexuality. Pedophilia may occur in a small percent of the population but is only acted upon by a small percentage of those. It seems to occur in every segment of the population.

The scandals of the church had nothing to do with Vatican II or the church being flooded with gay priests. It had to do with a much greater phenomenon world wide of mass communications and people feeling able to express their inner turmoil. In the 60s, People began to shake off the shackles of repression and expose their oppressors. It was a time of great freedom (that has since been suppressed) and those in authority, both religious and political, fought against, often with violence (anti war movement, sexual liberation, etc.) From what I have been reading in your posts, you seem to be wanting to return us to the pre-liberation era.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:And yet, a Catholic friend of mine insists that the church has always been a haven for gays ever since being gay was punishable by death or incarceration. He figures that there are at least 50% gay priests and has been for centuries. Pedophilia has been around since the caves and has nothing to do with homosexuality. Pedophilia may occur in a small percent of the population but is only acted upon by a small percentage of those. It seems to occur in every segment of the population.

The scandals of the church had nothing to do with Vatican II or the church being flooded with gay priests. It had to do with a much greater phenomenon world wide of mass communications and people feeling able to express their inner turmoil. In the 60s, People began to shake off the shackles of repression and expose their oppressors. It was a time of great freedom (that has since been suppressed) and those in authority, both religious and political, fought against, often with violence (anti war movement, sexual liberation, etc.) From what I have been reading in your posts, you seem to be wanting to return us to the pre-liberation era.

Actually, the statistics are that the Second Vatican council led to increased rates of homosexual, pedo priests. And why wouldn't? Vatican II was all about watering down doctrine and liberalizing the Church. Even the current Pope admits there is a gay lobby within the Vatican.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with the bible per se, but too much bible thumping. That book was written 2000 years ago, and the messages can be interpreted so many ways. That's why we have longer narrative now, novels and movies instead of short paraphrases that can be interpreted ten different ways.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

alexoliversen wrote:Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with the bible per se, but too much bible thumping. That book was written 2000 years ago, and the messages can be interpreted so many ways. That's why we have longer narrative now, novels and movies instead of short paraphrases that can be interpreted ten different ways.

I find that when one reads entire chapters and books of the bible instead of just short passages, the message becomes pretty clear.
What I get from the bible can basically be summed up as God saying the following:

"Don't be a d-bag and remember I'm here"

Anything else anyone tells you, specifics and whatnot, is all just the distraction the bible itself warns of. Just don't be a d-bag and don't leave God out and everything is fine.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

alexoliversen wrote:Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with the bible per se, but too much bible thumping. That book was written 2000 years ago, and the messages can be interpreted so many ways. That's why we have longer narrative now, novels and movies instead of short paraphrases that can be interpreted ten different ways.

For about 1,500 of those years, the Bible was interpreted a single way consistently. We have longer narratives and movies and hit pieces because of those who want to muddy the waters—an attempt to weaken the faith.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Christianity is so two millenniums ago. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Static wrote:Christianity is so two millenniums ago. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Be careful what you wish for. If it weren't for Christianity, you wouldn't be enjoying the comforts that Western Civilization has afforded you.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:Be careful what you wish for. If it weren't for Christianity, you wouldn't be enjoying the comforts that Western Civilization has afforded you.

This too shall end. Our western civilization is unsustainable. Our life styles are killing the planet and will eventually fall like every other civilization before it. Our civilization exists to the detriment of all others and all other life forms. Will Christianity take the blame for that?
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:This too shall end. Our western civilization is unsustainable. Our life styles are killing the planet and will eventually fall like every other civilization before it. Our civilization exists to the detriment of all others and all other life forms. Will Christianity take the blame for that?

Western Civilization isn't imploding. It is being systematically eradicated. This isn't a surprise to the faithful. For the Lord, in His divine knowledge, predicted it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”