A sudden change for or against religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
krguy2013

A sudden change for or against religion

Post by krguy2013 »

Many people grow up going to church with their mom and dad or never going to church and stay that way because it feels comfortable.

But for some, there is a particular moment when things shifted. I myself grew up in the church, worked in the church and wanted everyone to come to church and couldn't understand why they all wouldn't want to. But now I am an atheist and I see things totally differently.

For those that shifted to or away from religion, what was your motivation?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: A sudden change for or against religion

Post by sobrohusfat »

...but you've yet to describe the particular 'moment' when things shifted for you.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

I doubt there is a sudden awakening. It is kinda like when you stop believing in Santa Claus. It happens over time: you suspect and then you gradually see that Santa is actually you parents. You gradually see that religion is a control mechanism. Part of growing up is to eventually seek independence from your parents authority and find your own. For me it was a process of discovering that much of what I was told had no truth. I set off on a journey of seeking truth and self discovery. I think those two processes are simultaneous. I doubt very much that it matters what you end up believing, only that you make the journey.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

krguy2013 wrote:Many people grow up going to church with their mom and dad or never going to church and stay that way because it feels comfortable.

But for some, there is a particular moment when things shifted. I myself grew up in the church, worked in the church and wanted everyone to come to church and couldn't understand why they all wouldn't want to. But now I am an atheist and I see things totally differently.

For those that shifted to or away from religion, what was your motivation?

Always having loved my religion, I began to study its teachings with greater diligence in my early 20s after the birth of my children. Ironically in a quest to improve my own church knowledge and impart "truth" to them, I found I could not in good conscience bring them up in the religious teachings that I was raised in.
There were a few years of personal struggle and a loss of culture of sorts as I adjusted to the "world". I missed and mourned the loss of my faith. Perhaps there is some truth to the statement, "Ignorance is bliss"!

The most annoying thing to me is that sometimes when I'm driving along and burst into song, I sing some church hymn that contains beliefs that I no longer hold dear. The stuff you learn as a child sure sticks with you!
Glad I got out when I did, or I'd be even more warped than I already am. :)
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I did not grow up in religion, I grew up in what I called 'reality'.

Now at 28, I am starting to look a bit closer, and personally, Buddhism is currently the only one that I truly agree with, and which I believe is truly good for humanity.

So I had a bit of a sudden change in the past few months where I've started to ask myself, "Am I Buddhist?"
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

GoStumpy wrote:Now at 28, I am starting to look a bit closer, and personally, Buddhism is currently the only one that I truly agree with, and which I believe is truly good for humanity.

My personal view is that Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion – although there is some attention on being able to connect to a universal force (beyond our understanding but existing) that can bring us peace. There is also much direction on developing skills (eg. meditation) and attitude to make that connection and find peace with everyday life, even every minute in everyday life. From what I’ve read of Buddhism (and some ideas I've practiced), I like it too.

As an aside, I have seen some documentary research shows dealing with Christ’s years as an early adult travelling through the Far East and studying Buddhism. I think if a person has read some of the teachings of both, the similarities (or crossovers) are strongly evident. I even heard some speculation that the concept of reincarnation was also mentioned in His original teachings but were taken out during some rewrites by the Roman catholic Church as that idea did not fit their political agenda of controlling the masses - “You only get one chance to determine where you will spend eternity, you better obey the Church”
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I never had a change. The biblical god never jived with me,but this book did.
image.jpg
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

nickd wrote:but this book did.

Why?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Well a hominid evolution rang true to me,rather than a sky being poofing us into existence.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GoStumpy wrote:I did not grow up in religion, I grew up in what I called 'reality'.

Now at 28, I am starting to look a bit closer, and personally, Buddhism is currently the only one that I truly agree with, and which I believe is truly good for humanity.

So I had a bit of a sudden change in the past few months where I've started to ask myself, "Am I Buddhist?"

I haven't found any organized religion that would actually tempt me to sign on with them, but I too have found a lot of stuff in Buddhist teachings that rings true for me. I think that's a big part of it, little snippets of knowledge from here or there that you just feel are right for you. Just about any religion will have something of value to offer, but way too many of them have been tainted with totally human aspects of control of personal agenda. For me a spiritual life is one of personal discovery, of taking a long hard look within to see just how and why we connect with the outside world in the way we do, and learning how to adjust the places where that connection is out of whack. Invariably the problem is with me and the way I am looking at something.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”