Incest: Immoral or just unhealthy?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Incest: Immoral or just unhealthy?

Post by Glacier »

Many claim incest is immoral. Scientifically, incest has been shown to reduce the population's gene pool, making organisms more vulnerable to diseases.

Do you think incest is immoral or just unhelpful for the propagation of the species? If immoral, is this from a religious or personal perspective?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Incest...Immoral or just Unhealthy?

Post by Captain Awesome »

You can't tell people what not to put in their bodies. Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want behind closed doors.

/sarcasm off
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Glacier wrote:Many claim incest is immoral. Scientifically, incest has been shown to reduce the population's gene pool, making organisms more vulnerable to diseases.

Do you think incest is immoral or just unhelpful for the propagation of the species? If immoral, is this from a religious or personal perspective?

That's a bit misdirected. Incest does not, in itself, necessarily lead to propagation of the species. Babies born from incest, however....
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I think it's unhealthy... baby from such an uniion can be severely handicapped or reterded.

Otherwise would be awkward to date my cousins and have intercourse with them lol
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

... and embrace extreme right-wing politics :o)
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

10/10!!
Chill
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The immorality of incest is one of those relative (pun intended) issues. While it is universally consider be taboo with respect to father/daughter and mothers/son relationships, when it gets to cousins, there is a great degree of variability even between state in the U.S. As a result, incest has to be seen in light of evolutionary ethics, as being "immoral" due to genetic damage to potential offspring.

Of course, incest between adults and minors is immoral due to changing attitudes regarding power relationships between children and adults engaged in sexual acts.

Believe it or not, Wiki has an interesting entry on the issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Reminds me of Dave Attell comment that stated "and if you have a really hot cousin I think you should be able to **** once"

It was good for a laugh.

When it comes to bothers and sisters, just no, even excluding the varied genetic potentials, it's just, I guess as stated "taboo". (look at the lannisters after all) The thing I see is that a relationship between siblings is not the same as a relationship and it shouldn't be.

That said I have met people who had married their first cousins. Though odd I don't care, it isn't something that would turn my crank as I grew up close to a lot of my cousins and family.

Personally I look at the long time breeders of "pure bred" dogs. They just aren't a good choice genetically anymore.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Veovis wrote:Personally I look at the long time breeders of "pure bred" dogs. They just aren't a good choice genetically anymore.

They are actually superior if properly line bred and not inbred. Too tight in the genetics is bad and too loose (scatter bred) is bad. I chose my female based on my males bloodlines. I know every dog in the last 7 generations and their pros and cons. I imagine the same could happen with people, research the bloodlines and breed away from defective genes and towards superior ones. It would never happen but it's possible.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

jennylives wrote:They are actually superior if properly line bred and not inbred. Too tight in the genetics is bad and too loose (scatter bred) is bad. I chose my female based on my males bloodlines. I know every dog in the last 7 generations and their pros and cons. I imagine the same could happen with people, research the bloodlines and breed away from defective genes and towards superior ones. It would never happen but it's possible.

Yet many breeds are now known for congenital heart issues, bad hips and numerous other issues that didn't exist many generations ago. Sadly in the name of "good breeding" too much inbreeding occurred overall and even non looking related animals still have a good amount shared DNA. IMO

My opinion is that bloodlines should have chlorine in them (so to speak), and that in humans a sister is different than a potential spouse. I just find the relationship is different, if you want to call it taboo then sure, but with a few billion people in the world you should be able to find action somewhere other than at home.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”