Dinosaurs

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by Hmmm »

alexoliversen wrote:Well where do Dinosaurs fit into the bible? They should have come before Adam, but there is no real mention of them. Thus it's not the most accurate book although it does have some interesting tidbits of info.

The problem is how can you fit all knowledge into one book? The answer is you can't that is why you need a library and lexicon of work, and even then it will never cover everything, as human civilization keeps expanding there are always new things to find, new ideas to record, and new combinations which are created. The bible and all holy books are a good attempt at trying to record everything in one place, but let's face it - it's impossible to do. Also we have better and newer methods which is called the internet, and it not only includes ever holy book that has been written but access to every other work as well.

Welcome to the greatest book ever written = the internet.

There is a mention of some great creatures being created before Adam, however the Bible doesn't say much beyond that as regards dinosaurs. The Bible also never makes a claim that it contains all information about everything. As for it having some interesting tidbits as you called it, you obviously got all your knowledge of it from the movies and critics. This is where most people get it from.

You may not believe its the word of God but there is a lot of useful knowledge contained in it, far from just some tidbits. Why not read the book of Proverbs and let me know if the countless and timeless principles it has in it, is useful to you. Seriously, if you don't have a copy of the Bible, read it online.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:There is a mention of some great creatures being created before Adam, however the Bible doesn't say much beyond that as regards dinosaurs.

Book, chapter, verse?

Most of the bible folk I grew up with don't believe in dinosaurs and all the bones and fossils are just hoax's. Weird.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

This happened on the "fourth day", and man wasn't made until the "fifth day", a "day" in the scriptures, not meaning the same length of time as it does to us today.

Genesis 1:20

And God went on to say: “Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.” 21 And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind. And God got to see that [it was] good. 22 With that God blessed them, saying: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the waters in the sea basins, and let the flying creatures become many in the earth.” 23 And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a fifth day.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Most of the bible folk I grew up with don't believe in dinosaurs and all the bones and fossils are just hoax's. Weird.
That is crazy, I don't think I've met someone who doesn't believe in dinosaurs. I know many think the earth was created in 7000 years but not believing in things that are seen in museums, is just plain wacked. These people should be converted to reality. :)
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:This happened on the "fourth day", and man wasn't made until the "fifth day", a "day" in the scriptures, not meaning the same length of time as it does to us today.

Time, amongst other things in the Bible is always open to interpertaion ;) As far as the Book of Genesis goes, I was thing about that bit as well, but again, open for more inerpertaion.

Hmmm wrote:That is crazy, I don't think I've met someone who doesn't believe in dinosaurs. I know many think the earth was created in 7000 years but not believing in things that are seen in museums, is just plain wacked. These people should be converted to reality. :)

Two of them are even pastors ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

cutter7 wrote:the behemoths tail is like a cedar tree according to the scriptures

cutter7 wrote:15“Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17Its tail sways like a cedar;

There is a huge difference between 'sways like a cedar' and 'is like a cedar'. I wonder how many of these 'missinterpretations' have been made throughout the multiple translations of those old books.

'Sways like a cedar' describes nothing more than the way it moves.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

Hmmm wrote:That is crazy, I don't think I've met someone who doesn't believe in dinosaurs. I know many think the earth was created in 7000 years but not believing in things that are seen in museums, is just plain wacked. These people should be converted to reality. :)

Dizzy1 wrote:Two of them are even pastors ;)

Hmmm, I also have a hard time believing it but we've both probably met people like this and they probably run from the topic of dinosaurs. Deep down, they know their religion is a fraud, they just go with it because it's fun to play make-believe. Things like dinosaurs wreck their illusion so they try to ignore them.

The funny thing is they're extremely skeptical towards scientists but will believe anything their preacher says.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

rideforever wrote:There is a huge difference between 'sways like a cedar' and 'is like a cedar'. I wonder how many of these 'missinterpretations' have been made throughout the multiple translations of those old books.

'Sways like a cedar' describes nothing more than the way it moves.

One can only speculate what the passage is referring to. They say something like 5 species go extinct every day, and since the book was written so long ago, it's probably just as likely that it is describing an extinct animal as one living today. Sways like a cedar sounds like a large tail to me so I'm voting against hippo.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 6th, 2013, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Time, amongst other things in the Bible is always open to interpertaion ;)

To a point perhaps, but with a significant amount of effort, and using various scriptures as reference points, there are places where it can be nailed down with complete accuracy.

The important point though, is to recognize that a day to God, is not the same as a day to us, as in 24hrs. A day to God can easily be 1000yrs in our terms.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Two post removed: don't make this another silly-thread m
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

My point is if you can interpret a day as 1000 yrs then I can interpret a " sways like a cedar" as "sways like a cedar branch"
Just like a hippo does with it's tail.No silliness intended.The convenience of interpretation is open to all.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

Jo wrote:Two post removed: don't make this another silly-thread m

awe but Jo, this was thread was born of silliness, it was its destiny
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

1nick wrote:My point is if you can interpret a day as 1000 yrs then I can interpret a " sways like a cedar" as "sways like a cedar branch"
Just like a hippo does with it's tail.No silliness intended.The convenience of interpretation is open to all.

Except then you'd be interpreting something that wasn't there.

The interpretation may differ slightly depending on who's doing it, but you don't get to put your own spin on what's being interpreted in the first place.

If the person making the original statement, meant sways like a cedar branch, then that's what would have been said, rather than simply cedar, which implies the whole tree. There's quite a bit of difference.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

1nick wrote:My point is if you can interpret a day as 1000 yrs then I can interpret a " sways like a cedar" as "sways like a cedar branch"

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

The interpretation may differ slightly depending on who's doing it, but you don't get to put your own spin on what's being interpreted in the first place.

If the person making the original statement, meant sways like a cedar branch, then that's what would have been said, rather than simply cedar, which implies the whole tree. There's quite a bit of difference.

Oh yes I do,the religious do it all the time.
Have you had a shell fish meal lately?
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Interpreting 'cedar' to mean 'cedar branch' instead of 'cedar tree' does not change the original statement, 'cedar' could mean tree or branch.

Changing days to years however, now that's what I call putting your own spin on what's being interpreted in the first place.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”