Why the 'rapture' means nothing to Christians

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Why the 'rapture' means nothing to Christians

Post by Thinktank »

I like Christians. I know a lot of people on this forum have a problem
with Christians, but I think if you remove the two-faced crooks, Christians are a reasonably
decent bunch of people.

But I have one complaint: In normal everyday life, no one in their right mind would mention
a rapture. People worry about money. Health. vacations. Big tvs. New cars. Mortgage payments etc.
No one talks about raptures, normally.

But in church, I've heard preachers say they are looking forward to a rapture. Only in church
is such a thing mentioned. And I know it's a flat out lie. I know for a fact everyone is looking forward
to good things that can be bought with money, ten billion times more than they are looking forward
to a rapture, which probably won't even happen.

So why to preachers talk about a rapture, when no one ever talks about it in normal everyday life?

discuss
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Why the 'rapture' means nothing to Christians

Post by Glacier »

Corrie ten Boom on the rapture...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Vice tv had an interesting take on Christian fundamentilist zionists. Turns out the Bible Belt zionists in the USA have more clout than all the Jews combined, some 80 million strong. They shape US policy in the Middle East because according to the bible, Armageddon will only occur once Jews rule Israel. You know that whole Abraham thing where god struck a Realestate deal if he would kill his son as an act of faith in only one god. Sorry Palestinine, you're going to have to wait until the second coming of Jesus. Not sure when that's likely to happen but I suspect never. So we could be waiting a while for any chance of peace in the Middle East but not for the reason most of us thought.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

The born again Zionists have been try to force god's hand since Ronny Raygun. Or as my friend once said, "Armageddon tire of waiting." If it did happen, I have a sneekin' suspicion they would be the first to be judged.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

1 Thessalonians 4:17 - Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

^ I thought that was the only scripture in the bible that made everyone think of a rapture.\

there are dozens of scriptures that hint about it, supposedly. For example:

Matthew 24:21 - For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

^ this scripture hints that something is going to happen eventually - we just don't know exactly what.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bib ... e-Rapture/

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:They shape US policy in the Middle East because according to the bible, Armageddon will only occur once Jews rule Israel.

Where does it say that? I'm thinking that you've never actually read the Bible.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Christians united for Israel.

They all say they're looking forward to the rapture - but they all lie.
No one really looks forward to a rapture. Everyone is looking forward to more money.

everyone.

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Thinktank wrote:

Christians united for Israel.

They all say they're looking forward to the rapture - but they all lie.
No one really looks forward to a rapture. Everyone is looking forward to more money.

everyone.
You know everybody? its really hard not saying something insulting to you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: You know everybody? its really hard not saying something insulting to you.

Because you're a troll.

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Thinktank wrote:
Because you're a troll.

I am? You just insulted every Christian on earth. I just have no idea where you're coming from. PS You also have linked peace loving people with Skinheads. I'm a troll? Why don't you start playing nice and be a decent human?

PS I have insulted you before and I shouldn't have. Sorry. Now you stop lying about people and insulting large segments of the population.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote:You just insulted every Christian on earth.

No I didn't. I just said that when Christians say they are looking forward
to a rapture - they're lying. All of them. It's not an insult when it's the truth.

the fact is - all 100% of Christians look forward to more money. I know I do.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Thinktank wrote:
No I didn't. I just said that when Christians say they are looking forward
to a rapture - they're lying. All of them. It's not an insult when it's the truth.

the fact is - all 100% of Christians look forward to more money. I know I do.

Uhhhh not 100%. Maybe you should find a Church where they don't pray to money. There are a few around. As a matter of fact, I'm attending one tomorrow. Maybe you should come along....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

averagejoe wrote:Uhhhh not 100%. ....

yeah. I did see some okay Christians. But still, we need money for food, to heat our house, car insurance etc
so that could be the reason I see 'all' Christians want money.

but no one looks forward to a rapture.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Thinktank wrote: yeah. I did see some okay Christians. But still, we need money for food, to heat our house, car insurance etc
so that could be the reason I see 'all' Christians want money.

but no one looks forward to a rapture.

Funny thing, I think not only Christians need money for food, to heat our houses, car insurance etc..I think those are basics for everyone. I maybe mistake?

I don't see any where in the Bible about rapture and do not believe in it. But some people think they have a special get into Heaven pass. Specially since many of them got us in this predicament in the first place by going to new age money worshiping honky tonk Mega Churches in the first place that were started back in the 50's. Mega Churches and Hollywood have done more to help destroy Christianity than any other power on Earth.

Mega Churches
The origins of the megachurch movement, with a large number of local congregants who return on a weekly basis can be traced to the 1950s.[9] There were large churches earlier in history, but they were considerably rarer. Examples include Charles Spurgeon's Baptist Metropolitan Tabernacle in London which attracted 5,000 weekly for years in the late 19th century, and religious broadcaster Aimee Semple McPherson's Angelus Temple in Los Angeles, which was similarly large.[10] The advent of television in the 1950s, and the Internet in the 1990s and 2000s have been seen as a motivator for megachurches as megachurch services are often broadcast.

Criticism

Critics of megachurches claim that such churches are more concerned with entertainment than religion.

Critics have also raised issues with the application of corporate business models,[15] e.g., from Wal-Mart; a seeker-friendly approach, intensive market research, heavy reliance upon opinion polls, polished advertising targeted at affluent young professionals, unconventional worship styles and Eastern influences.

Some megachurches, such as the Christian Open Door, are sometimes criticized by former members and anti-cult associations for an alleged use of cultic practices.[16] Another concern with megachurches is their tax-exempt status. These churches generate millions of dollars in revenue and are not subject to the same disclosures that charities are on tax-exempt revenues. This has received attention from the US Senate.[17] A megachurch was investigated by a media outlet for allegedly illegal contributions to the political campaigns of Republican candidates[18][19] and one has been accused of embezzlement.[20]
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

So if a Christian wants to earn enough to support their families, this is wrong in your view TT? Would'nt a greedy attitude towards money be the real issue here? Not every Christian is greedy you know. As far as a rapture goes, if one were to believe in it, which would mean for them, an end to suffering and being with God, I find it difficult to believe most wouldn't be looking forward to it and wanting it to occur sooner than later.

There are also many many Christians who work tirelessly as volunteers to help improve the lives of others, these ones are also bad for wanting to just have enough to get by? You don't find that your opinion (which is not based on anything except your limited experience) is insulting to the 1000's who do this selfless work?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”