Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

Post by Rosieodonell »

Evolution versus Creationism

Not sure why this wasn't posted before or may'be i can't look hard enough. What did everyone think? Who do you think won and maybe get some discusion going.

Here is a link if you haven't seen or heard about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

Post by JLives »

It's not really a debate if only one side has facts.

This summarizes it. Please note I am paraphrasing. Bill Nye to Ken Ham: Do you know there are trees on the Earth older than you believe the universe is?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Oldest tree in the world is 5,063 years old, though only one person knows where it is. The second oldest tree is 4,845 years old.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

jennylives wrote:It's not really a debate if only one side has facts.

This summarizes it. Please note I am paraphrasing. Bill Nye to Ken Ham: Do you know there are trees on the Earth older than you believe the universe is?
Doesn't mean we weren't created though, it may mean this creationist is wacked. There is no scientific evidence that disproves the Bible's creation account, there is proof that what some teach is clearly wrong.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Glacier wrote:Oldest tree in the world is 5,063 years old, though only one person knows where it is. The second oldest tree is 4,845 years old.

Here is his actual quote, not my butchered version:
http://flavorwire.com/437149/the-best-q ... sm-debate/
In which Nye accidentally brings about a tree genocide committed by spiritually confused adolescents:
“There’s a famous tree in Sweden — Old Tjikko — that’s [over 9,000] years old. How could these trees be there if there was an enormous flood just 4,000 years ago? You can try this yourself, everybody — and I don’t mean to be mean to trees – get a sapling, and put it under water for a year. It will not survive.”

http://enjoysweden.se/en/object/old-tji ... the-world/
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Hmmm wrote:Doesn't mean we weren't created though, it may mean this creationist is wacked. There is no scientific evidence that disproves the Bible's creation account, there is proof that what some teach is clearly wrong.

You still have to explain creationism for it to be even considered. There is nothing to back it up. Creationism is a myth believed by people. Evolution is a science understood by people.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Hmmm wrote:Doesn't mean we weren't created though, it may mean this creationist is wacked. There is no scientific evidence that disproves the Bible's creation account, there is proof that what some teach is clearly wrong.

First point I agree. Ken Ham is whacked and scares me that he can still reproduce on this world.

Second point that is highlighted above. So you make a claim a magical being lives up in the sky, parallel dimension, and/or outside our physical reality. He creates the world and all the creatures and people etc.. Then it is up to me to prove you wrong, when you can't show measureable proof. The burden of proof falls on the believer not the disbeliever.

Now your third point that "there is proof that what some teach is clearly wrong is absolutely wrong." For the most part you are correct. People use the evidence they have at hand and teach. But the beauty of Scientific discovery is that when you discover something is wrong, you take the new evidence into consideration and go from there. Religion deals with absolutes and thus can't change.

I always loved this line, "Why don't you believe in Thor? Thor promised to keep us safe from all ice giants and I don't see any ice giants"
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Prometheus gave us fire. We use fire. therefore Prometheus exists.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

doh.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Ken Ham publicly said that the banana was proof of intelligent design and thus proof of God. Because the banana perfectly fits the human hand!

I find them funny and like them sliced up in my corn flakes (haven't done that in years!)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rosieodonell wrote:Ken Ham publicly said that the banana was proof of intelligent design and thus proof of God. Because the banana perfectly fits the human hand!

Source?
- Douglas Murray
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Glacier wrote:Source?

I would assume they have Ken Hamm mixed up with another wingnut - Raymond Comfort...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igui2YoHXs8
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ah, I see. Kinda like how some people get Bill Nye mixed up with the wingnut David Suzuki..
- Douglas Murray
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote: There is no scientific evidence that disproves the Bible's creation account, there is proof that what some teach is clearly wrong.

The burden of proof is not on the non-believer, you can not definitively prove that something does not exist.
The burden of proof lies solely on those who insist that something does exist, without question.

Can science prove that werewolves, vampires and sasquatches' do not exist?
Can anyone prove that they do ?
Attachments
1604445_411115075687245_306836046_n.jpg
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

janalta wrote:The burden of proof is not on the non-believer, you can not definitively prove that something does not exist.
The burden of proof lies solely on those who insist that something does exist, without question.

Can science prove that werewolves, vampires and sasquatches' do not exist?
Can anyone prove that they do ?

That's not how science works. A theory cannot be proven; it can only be disproven. If someone puts forward the idea that life exists on other planets or that God created the universe, the onus is actually on those who have an alternative theory to prove it wrong.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”