Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:That is true since this line of reasoning is circular reasoning. I don't think anyone is arguing in favour of that.

I have been having these discussions with believers for over 40 years and they are always quoting bible passages to validate the bible's authenticity. I would say the majority of them do it.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cliffy1 wrote:I have been having these discussions with believers for over 40 years and they are always quoting bible passages to validate the bible's authenticity. I would say the majority of them do it.

People quote things all the time. Often because the truths are self-evident. I was at a wedding recently where they quoted a section of the Bible, "Love is kind. It does not envy..." Given the fact the people getting married were not religious, I would suspect that the Bible quote was not meant to validate the entire book. I just quoted you too. Doesn't mean I'm validating (or invalidating) everything you say.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:People quote things all the time. Often because the truths are self-evident. I was at a wedding recently where they quoted a section of the Bible, "Love is kind. It does not envy..." Given the fact the people getting married were not religious, I would suspect that the Bible quote was not meant to validate the entire book. I just quoted you too. Doesn't mean I'm validating (or invalidating) everything you say.

So quoting passages in the bible that justify the bible's validity is the same as, say, quoting a line in the Lord of the Rings to validate the authenticity of that book as the word of god? Me thinks your argument is silly.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cliffy1 wrote:So quoting passages in the bible that justify the bible's validity is the same as, say, quoting a line in the Lord of the Rings to validate the authenticity of that book as the word of god? Me thinks your argument is silly.

I never said quoting something validates it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”