Near death experiences the new religion?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Re: Near Death Experiences the new religion?

Post by BelieveNothing »

Poindexter, so simply and eloquently stated.

I whole heartedly agree with every word :)

... And it feels so good!
canada bound

Post by canada bound »

This event set the course of my understanding of what Life truly is. At the age of 9, now I was pondering what I was meant to be, why I lived. Things most 9 year olds don't even consider. For many years I wondered what I saw beyond the vail, but its more a sense of what you felt. One of the distinct sensations I felt was as if my bodies vibration sped up. As if the spirit catapults into another realm. As if your stripped down to the sensation of pure being. All this is wrapped up into a very familiar package. You know you have been here before, You know you are not alone, and You feel you are now the very essence of Life,,, all at the same time.
Very Strange, but soothing as well.

Still I am absolutely in no rush to experience this anytime soon........
spiritualteachers

Post by spiritualteachers »

Anyone know of any groups or anything that discuss these experiences in the Okanagan? If not there should be!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote: Like any other manifestations, angels, aliens, etc, it takes a belief in them to empower their existence.

I find it hard to fathom that of the trillions of planets, there would be no life intelligent enough for space travel other than us, seeing as those who landed on the moon were aliens as well as those who we will send to Mars, even if we don't believe it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
spiritualteachers

I agree and in the same token why do people assume we know exactly how life and reality works...I still see us as cavemen really there are many secrets yet to be unraveled.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

spiritualteachers wrote:I agree and in the same token why do people assume we know exactly how life and reality works...I still see us as cavemen really there are many secrets yet to be unraveled.

We can't rule out that some civilization had all the answers but during the dark ages Catholicism erased them from history.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
spiritualteachers

Poindexter wrote:[
We can't rule out that some civilization had all the answers but during the dark ages Catholicism erased them from history.

I agree with you there!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

nice to see science catching up :)

the church of the nde will be ecstatic at the news :)

There is scientific evidence to suggest that life can continue after death, according to the largest ever medical study carried out on the subject.

A team based in the UK has spent the last four years seeking out cardiac arrest patients to analyse their experiences, and found that almost 40 per cent of survivors described having some form of “awareness” at a time when they were declared clinically dead.

Experts currently believe that the brain shuts down within 20 to 30 seconds of the heart stopping beating – and that it is not possible to be aware of anything at all once that has happened.

But scientists in the new study heard said they heard compelling evidence that patients experienced real events for up to three minutes after this had happened – and could recall them accurately once they had been resuscitated.

Dr Sam Parnia, an assistant professor at the State University of New York and a former research fellow at the University of Southampton who led the research, said that he previously that patients who described near-death experiences were only relating hallucinatory events.

One man, however, gave a “very credible” account of what was going on while doctors and nurses tried to bring him back to life – and says that he felt he was observing his resuscitation from the corner of the room.

Speaking to The Telegraph about the evidence provided by a 57-year-old social worker Southampton, Dr Parnia said: “We know the brain can’t function when the heart has stopped beating.

“But in this case, conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes.

“The man described everything that had happened in the room, but importantly, he heard two bleeps from a machine that makes a noise at three minute intervals. So we could time how long the experienced lasted for.

“He seemed very credible and everything that he said had happened to him had actually happened.”

Dr Parnia’s study involved 2,060 patients from 15 hospitals in the UK, US and Austria, and has been published in the journal Resuscitation.

Of those who survived, 46 per cent experienced a broad range of mental recollections, nine per cent had experiences compatible with traditional definitions of a near-death experience and two per cent exhibited full awareness with explicit recall of “seeing” and “hearing” events – or out-of-body experiences.

Dr Parnia said that the findings of the study as a whole suggested that “the recalled experience surrounding death now merits further genuine investigation without prejudice”.

Dr Jerry Nolan, editor-in-chief of the journal which published the research, said: “The researchers are to be congratulated on the completion of a fascinating study that will open the door to more extensive research into what happens when we die.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 80195.html
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The unfortunate part is when one is dying, one knows.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Fancy wrote:The unfortunate part is when one is dying, one knows.

That is not the case in the event of sudden death through accident or war or when one dies in their sleep.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
CustomGraphics

Re: Near death experiences the new religion?

Post by CustomGraphics »

I had a friend that had one of these I believe it!
spiritualteachers

Re: Near death experiences the new religion?

No doubt in the past the ideas of what the afterlife looked like was probably from reported NDE's back in the day.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”